Charles Guy Keiger. In a new state like Oklahoma, where town sites are being developed from the raw prairie in a remarkably brief time into flourishing cities, one of the most important professions is that of municipal engineering and those that practice it have splendid opportunities for service both to the present and to the future generations. A young man who has already reached no small distinction in this field is Charles Guy Keiger, who is now county engineer of Kiowa County, is a graduate engineer from the University of Oklahoma, and since leaving the university has been continuously identified with engineering work in connection with various Oklahoma cities.
The family of Keiger belongs among the pioneers of Oklahoma. The Keigers came orignially from Germany, and Mr. Keiger’s father is a well known attorney at Norman. Charles Guy Keiger was born in Sumner County, Kansas, October 25, 1886. His father, C. M. Keiger, was born in, Indiana in 1861 and was married in that state to Miss Nannie Guy, who was born in the same state also in 1861. The Guy family originated in England and settled in Virginia during the Colonial days. After his marriage C. M. Keiger moved from Indiana to Sumner County, Kansas,, and in 1893 participated in the opening of the Cherokee Strip and located in Grant County, Oklahoma. His home for several years has been in Norman, where he has a successful practice as an attorney. He has served as city attorney at Norman and takes an active part in civic and political affairs. He is a republican, a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church and belongs to the Independent Order of Odd Fellows and the Ancient Order of United Workmen. Of the two children, the daughter Nina is a graduate of the University of Oklahoma at Norman and is now a teacher in the Sapulpa High School.
Charles Guy Keiger was about seven years of age when brought to Oklahoma and gained his early education in the public schools of Grant County, graduating from the high school there in 1904. In 1908 he completed the regular collegiate course in the University of Oklahoma, gaining the degree A. B., and specialized in civil engineering. On leaving the university he spent the years 1908-10 as a civil engineer in municipal work at Oklahoma City, was employed in a similar capacity for one year at Norman, and then in various other cities of Oklahoma until June, 1911, when he removed to Hobart. Since coming to Hobart he has taken up his duties as county surveyor of Kiowa County, an office to which he was appointed May 6, 1914, for a term of two years. His offices are in the courthouse at Hobart.
Mr. Keiger is a democrat, and is affiliated with Hobart Lodge No. 881, Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks, Norman Lodge No. 38, Ancient Free and Accepted Masons, and Hobart Chapter of the Eastern Star.