Charles B. Campbell. This
prominent resident of Minco, an extensive farmer and landholder in
that section and president of the First National Bank at
Chickasha, is one of
the old timers in the Chickasaw Nation and has Chickasaw Indian blood
in his veins. Throughout his career Mr. Campbell has been closely
associated with E. B. Johnson & Brothers, and it can be said to
the credit of both of them that they always obeyed and respected the
laws of the Indian Nation, however inequitable their provisions may
Mr. Campbell and the
Messrs. Johnson have the unique relationship of double cousins.
Charles B. Campbell was born at Fort Arbuckle in Indian Territory in
1861, the only son of Michael and Adelaide (Johnson) Campbell.
Adelaide Johnson was a sister of the father of the Johnson brothers,
while Michael Campbell was a brother of the mother of Mr. Johnson.
Adelaide Johnson’s father was Charles Johnson, a native of England,
who came to America and was living in Mississippi when the Indians
were transferred from that state to Indian Territory. Charles Johnson
married a Chickasaw woman, who was born in Mississippi, and both came
with the members of the tribe west of the Mississippi. Charles
Johnson occupied a government position among the Indians, was for
many years a merchant, but spent his last years in New York City.
Michael Campbell was a native of Ireland, and on coming to America
first located at Corpus Christi, Texas, and from there moved into the
Indian Territory, where he married Miss Johnson. During the war
between the states he held the rank of major in the Confederate army,
and towards the end of the war in 1865 lost his life by drowning. His
widow is still living at the age of seventy-three. Her only daughter
married William Renniey of Tishomingo.
Charles B. Campbell
was sent to Nebraska to attend school, though his actual home has
been the Indian Territory and Oklahoma all his life. At the age of
seventeen he was placed in charge of a ranch at Council Grove, Indian
Territory, and lived there until his removal to Minco a few years
later. From almost the outset he was regarded as a man of tried and
trusted capacity in the industry of stock raising and farming, and it
has been chiefly through his operations in that field in the old
Chickasaw country that lie laid the basis of his success.
For the past quarter
of a century Mr. Campbell’s name has been identified with banking
affairs. In 1890 he was one of the organizers of the Bank of Minco,
which in 1897 became the First National Bank of
Minco, and he has served continuously
on its board of directors since its inception. In 1900 he became one
of the organizers of the First National Bank of Chickasha, and since
that date has been president of the institution. This is one of the
largest and best managed banks in Western Oklahoma. It was organized
with a capital stock of $25,000, and in 1915 a report to the
government shows capital and surplus combined of $260,000, with
deposits of $875,000.
Mr. Campbell for
many years has taken a prominent part and interest in Masonic work.
His first degrees were received in Lodge No. 7 at Elm Springs, Indian
Territory, and he subsequently became a charter member of Anadarko
Lodge No. 21, Ancient Free and Accepted Masons, and a charter member
of Minco Lodge No. 112, and served as master of the latter lodge for
seven years. He is also a member of the Royal Arch Chapter and the
Knights Templar Commandery, of India Temple of the Nobles of the
Mystic Shrine, and has taken the Scottish Rite degrees up to and
including the thirty-second.
In 1884 Mr. Campbell
married Miss Margaret Williams, daughter of Mr. W. G. Williams, who
was one of the early pioneer settlers of Indian Territory. To their
marriage have been born seven children: Anna Belle, who is the wife
of A. H. Witherspoon of Oklahoma City, and the mother of a son, A. H.
Witherspoon, Jr.; Charles W.,
Mary Ellen, Milton B., Stella, Bernadine and Effie May Campbell, all
of whom reside at Minco, Oklahoma.