Bert A. Hudson. The qualities of persistence, good management, common sense and enterprise have prevailed in the energetic career of Bert A. Hudson, a former cashier of the Bank of Randlett, Oklahoma, and now president of Farmers State Bank, Temple, Oklahoma, winning for him an enviable position among the business, political and social elements of his adopted community. In addition to being well known in banking circles, he has also entered the field of journalism, and in various ways has made his influence felt upon the commercial interests of Cotton County. Mr. Hudson is a product of the agricultural regions-of Missouri, where he was born on the old Hodge homestead in DeKalb County, March 22, 1875, a son of James M. and Fannie (Oldham) Hudson.
James M. Hudson, a member of the old American family of Hudsons of Tennessee, and one of eighteen brothers, was born at Maysville, Missouri, in 1851, and now resides at Kansas City, Missouri. For many years he has been a railroad man, having for a long period been foreman of the construction and maintenance department of various railroads running out of Kansas City, Missouri, including the Rock Island, the Burlington, the Maple Leaf and the Wabash, although his headquarters were maintained at Weatherby, Missouri. In 1902 he removed to Cement, Oklahoma, where he was engaged in farming until his retirement. During the period of the Civil War, Mr. Hudson operated the Hodge homestead, so-called from its original owner, Robert H. Hodge, who was an uncle. Mr. Hudson’s agricultural ventures as a young man, however, were not satisfactory, as the greater part of what he raised was confiscated by the soldiers. He is a member of the Masonic fraternity, is a democrat in politics, and while residing at Weatherby served on both the town council and the school board. He married Miss Fannie Oldham, a native of Missouri, and a member of a family of Scotch-Irish ancestry, and they have had six children, as follows: Bert A., of this review; Lutie, who died in 1907, at the age of thirty-two years, as the wife of Frank Stewart, a farmer; Ora, who for the past twenty-one years has been cashier of the Weatherby (Missouri) Bank; Ollie, who is the wife of C. W. Aldrich, chief train dispatcher for the Pedro Route, and a resident of Salt Lake City, Utah; Alvin, who is a railroad man and resides at Kansas City, Missouri; and Clyde, who in former years held high official positions with various railroads, but is now manager for the American Telegraph and Telephone Company, Kansas City, Missouri.
Bert A. Hudson completed the course of study as prescribed in the grammar schools of DeKalb County, Missouri, graduating from the eighth grade in 1892, at which time he secured a position in the railroad yards of the Chicago, Rock Island & Pacific Railroad, at St. Joseph, Missouri. He remained for eighteen years on that division, and through faithful performance of duty, industry and integrity won promotion to various positions, acting successively as trainman, operator and station agent. On April 1, 1902, he went to El Paso Division, with the same railroad, and acted as station agent on that division until 1905, then going to his father’s farm, at Cement, a property which he cultivated until 1909. During his residence there he also acted in the capacity of station agent. Mr. Hudson left the farm January 22, 1910, and came to Randlett, having been appointed vice president of the Bank of Randlett, and in July of the same year succeeded to the position of cashier, which he held until December 12, 1915, at which time he bought the Farmers State Bank of Temple, Oklahoma, and was made president of that institution January 1, 1916.
The Bank of Randlett, one of the strong and substantial institutions of Cotton County, was established in 1907 as a state monetary concern, the first to be founded on the “Big Pasture.” Its first home was at the corner of Main and C. streets. On December 21, 1912, it bought out the Farmers and Merchants Bank, consolidated the two as the Bank of Randlett, and moved the offices and vaults to their new location, on the opposite corner of the same streets, where the bank now has well-appointed and thoroughly equipped premises. The present officers are: President, Guy C. Robertson; vice president, P. B. Carnahan; cashier, Ernest Knight, and assistant cashier, F. T. Wagner, who is also city treasurer. These men are all well and favorably known in business circles, and have the confidence and regard of the people of the community. The capital stock of the bank is $10,000, with a surplus of $1,000. Mr. Hudson is a member of the executive council of the State Bankers’ Association.
In 1913, in company with Jerry Crowley, J. M. Alexander, W. W. Fowler and H. W. Davis, Mr. Hudson bought the Randlett Progressive, and at the same time purchased a full set of new printing presses, type and equipment. This newspaper, a non-partisan organ, has been developed into a decidedly paying venture, and circulates throughout Cotton and the surrounding counties. Its list of subscribers is growing daily, and the merchants, having found it to be an excellent advertising medium, are supporting it generously. Its publishers aim to give the people a reliable and well-edited sheet, and that they are succeeding in their efforts is evidenced by the enthusiasm with which the Progressive is being received. The modern offices and plant are located on Main Street. Politically a democrat, Mr. Hudson served as a councilman of Randlett until he left there, and at all times worked faithfully for the best interests of the place. He is fraternally affiliated with Cement Lodge No. 297, Ancient Free and Accepted Masons, of which he is a past master by service, and with Lawton Chapter, Royal Arch Masons.
On June 25, 1913, at El Reno, Oklahoma, Mr. Hudson was united in marriage with Miss Christina Spence, daughter of J. R. Spence, a farmer near El Reno. They have no children.