Arthur O. Kincaid. This pioneer real-estate dealer of Woodward, judicial center of the county of the same name, established his homo here at the time when this section, a part of the historic Cherokee Strip, was thrown open to settlement. He has played a large part in the development and progress of the county, has been influential in its governmental affairs and served as county clerk pro-tem, until the first election was held after the creating of the county. Through his well ordered activities in the handling of real estate and the extending of loans on real-estate security he has contributed much to the march of progress and has been able to aid many of the sterling citizens who have hero established permanent homes.
Mr. Kincaid is a scion of staunch old Southern stock and was born at Cave Spring, Floyd County, Georgia, on the 14th of August, I860, his native state having within a short period thereafter become the stage of polemic activities incidental to the Civil war. He is a son of Dr. John and Cornelia (Connor) Kincaid, the former of whom was born in South Carolina and the latter in North Carolina. Doctor Kincaid, a man of specially fine professional attainments, devoted his entire mature life to the practice of medicine, and during the war between the North and the South he gave effective aid to the Confederate cause through his service as surgeon in the Sixth Georgia Cavalry, with which he did well his part in connection with the many important engagements in which the command was involved. Doctor Kincaid continued to be known and honored as one of the representative physicians of Georgia until the time of his death, which occurred at Rome, that state, in 1910, his wife having passed away in the year 1891. Their marriage was solemnized in the year 1858, the father of Mrs. Kincaid having been William Connor, a prosperous planter of North Carolina. In a family of three sons and four daughters Arthur O. Kincaid of this review was the first in order of birth; Ivan D. is a prosperous agriculturist and stock-grower in Oklahoma County, Oklahoma; Paul met his death at the age of twenty-six years, as the result of injuries received when he fell from a tree, in the State of California; May is the wife of Charles Hunt, of Abingdon, Virginia; Etta, who still resides in Georgia, is the widow of J. Harris Chappel, who was the founder and president of the Georgia Industrial School at Milledgeville, that state; Willie is the wife of Alvin Norvill, of Jacksonville, Florida; and Wessic, twin of Willie, is the wife of John Bartleson, of the same city.
Arthur O. Kincaid acquired his early education in the schools of Cave Spring and Home, Georgia, and at the age of sixteen years he obtained a position as salesman in a mercantile establishment at Huntsville, Alabama, where he remained thus engaged for a period of eight years. In 1883 he went to Fort Worth, Texas, and there he was employed three years as salesman in a dry-goods store. In 1886 he engaged independently in the grocery business, at Henrietta, that state, and in 1888 he disposed of his stock and business, after having developed a prosperous enterprise.
In 1889 Mr. Kincaid was one of the vigorous men who availed themselves of the opportunities afforded when the original portion of Oklahoma Territory was thrown open for settlement, and he made the historic run into the new country on the 22d of April of that year, a year prior to the formal organization of the new territory. He entered claim to a tract of government land eight miles east of Oklahoma City, and in due time perfected his title to this property. Later he was employed as a mercantile salesman in Oklahoma City until the throwing open of the Cherokee Strip to settlement, in 1893, when he came to the new district and established his residence at Woodward, where he was appointed the first county clerk of old N County, by Governor Renfrow, an office of which he continued the incumbent until the first general election was held, this being antecedent to the formal organization of the County of Woodward as now constituted. In 1895 he was appointed deputy clerk of the district, and in this office he served three years.
In 1898 Mr. Kincaid engaged in the cattle business on the still open range in this section of the territory, and with this line of enterprise he continued to be actively identified twelve years, his operations being definitely successful. Since his retirement from the cattle business he has maintained his residence at Woodward and been engaged in the real-estate business on an extensive scale, he himself owning a large amount of valuable land in this section of the state and his operations being in large degree in the handling of his own properties. Mr. Kincaid is well known in this part of the state and has at all times exemplified the spirit of civic loyalty and progressiveness, the while he has never deviated from a line of strict allegiance to the democratic party. In a fraternal way he is affiliated with the Knights of Pythias and the Ancient Order of United Workmen.
At Perry, Oklahoma Territory, on the 6th of August, 1 894, was solemnized the marriage of Mr. Kincaid to Miss Maude Morgan, who was born in West Virginia, and who came with her parents to Oklahoma Territory in an early day. Mr. and Mrs. Kincaid have five children, all natives of Woodward County, and their names are here noted: John Morgan, Helen, Leslie, Virginia, and Robert E.