A. H. Culp


A. H. Culp, M. D. The pioneer physician to locate in the town of Beggs when it first started was Dr. A. H Culp, who for more than fifteen years has supplied not only a skillful professional service but also much of the business enterprise to that community.
His professional career covered more than a quarter of a century. He was graduated M. D. from the Louisville Medical College at Louisville, Kentucky, in 1888. Since then he has been in continuous practice and has had an extensive experience in all branches of medicine and surgery. It was in 1900 that he came to Beggs, while the town was in its incipiency, and he has always had as much practice as he could well attend to in connection with his business interests.
Dr. A. H. Culp was born in Parkersburg, West Virginia, October 20, 1860, a son of William and Mary S. (Holland) Culp. His parents were both natives of Old Virginia. His father was born in 1828 and died at Collins, Missouri, in 1910. The mother was born in 1830 and died in 1870 at Moberly, Missouri. The family came to Missouri in 1867 when Dr. Culp was about six years old, and the father became a prominent factor in the town of Moberly. He was in the lumber business the greater part of his life, and he also laid off Culp’s First and Second Addition to the City of Moberly. He handled a great amount of real estate in the course of his active career. He was a democrat and a member of the Methodist Church. There were three children: Dr. J. C. Culp of Thayer, Missouri; Dr. A. H. Culp; and Minnie, wife of W. V. McCormick of Sedalia, Missouri.
From 1867 until about fifteen years ago Dr. A. H. Culp lived in Missouri and gained all his earlier experiences as a physician there. In and about Beggs he has acquired some extensive land holdings and as his father before him has been quite successful in handling real estate. He has also been interested in oil lands and for a time engaged in the cattle business.
In 1915 Dr. Culp was honored by election as president of the Okmulgee County Medical Society. he is also physician to the New York Indian Boarding School, one of the oldest institutions of its kind in the Creek Nation and has been surgeon for the St. Louis & San Francisco R. R. for the past ten years. He is a democrat, but not active in politics except so far as the good government of his own community is concerned. Ho is a member of the Masonic Order and the Methodist Episcopal Church South.
In 1889 Dr. Culp married Miss Lillie Warren, who was born in Sedalia, Missouri, in April, 1866, daughter of J. L. Warren. Dr. and Mrs. Culp have one daughter, Lucile, who is the wife of Louis R. Steigleder. Mr. Steigleder is cashier of the Farmers National Bank of Beggs, one of the strongest institutions in Okmulgee county, with capital and surplus of $28,250.