Chapter of the Ohio Genealogical Society
Morrow County, Ohio
Washington Township CemeteriesPublished in 1989
Washington Township was originally a part of the "Congress Lands Survey, 1799-1804" and constituted the land that was left over after 20 six-mile-wide townships were plotted westward from the baseline at the Pennsylvania state line, until reaching the boundary of the next survey, "Congress Lands, 1819". This explains why Washington Township is only three miles wide.
Washington Township was a part of Delaware County from 1808 to 1824; it was a part of Marion County from 1824 to 1848, the year that Morrow County was created.
Most of the cemetery names and locations were obtained from the results of a federally funded project in the 1930's, known as the "WPA Veterans Grave Registration Project". It was conducted in cooperation with the American Legion to identify the names of all veterans of the armed services buried in Morrow County and to locate their graves. A copy of the WPA survey is in the Recorder's office in the Morrow County Courthouse, Mount Gilead, Ohio. In addition, over the years, volunteers from the Morrow County Genealogical Society have physically walked through every known cemetery area and, in most cases, were able to record the tombstone inscriptions and locations.
1. Armstrong Cemetery
Located in the southwest quarter of Section 12, on the east side of State Route 61, 1/3 mile north of County Road 61. Listed by Bart E. and Del Rigdon Silver on 10 September 1969.
2. Auten Cemetery
Located in the northeast quarter of Section 11, southwest of the intersection of County Road 8 and Township Road 36. Listed by Daniel L. Rhodebeck on 23 June 1977.
3. Blaney Cemetery
Located 400 feet south of County Road 51, 0.1 mile east of County Road 30. Per WPA Project records: "Note: Mr. Blaney was a deserter. Was court martialed and shot. He is buried within this forty foot area."
4. Forbes Cemetery
Located in the northeast quarter of Section 11 of Township 15, Range 21 and 1/8 mile south of Township Road 36. No stones visible.
5. Goodrich Cemetery
Located in the northwest quarter of Section 13, west of State Route 61 and 1/8 mile south of County Road 31. No stones visible.
6. Iberia Cemetery (sometimes listed as Washington Township Cemetery)
Located in the northeast quarter of Section 26, east of the Mt. Gilead-Iberia-Galion Road (County Road 30) on the Iberia-Bellville Road (Township Road 49), just southeast of Iberia. 40 acres.
7. McClarren Cemetery
Located in the northwest quarter of Section 2, dsouth of County Road 29, 1/10 of a mile east of County Road 30. Listed by Bart E. and Del Rigdon Silver on 10 September 1969. Only stone: McClarrin, Infant s/o Robert and Sarah, d 15 Dec 1842.
8. Montgomery Cemetery
Located in the northwest quarter of Section 14, east of County Road 30, at the boundary of Washington and Gilead Townships. Listed by Bart E. and Del Rigdon Silver on 21 September 1969. One stone: Montgomery, William, b 7 Aug 1808, d 11 May 1835; Jane, w/o William b 16 Feb 1809, d 4 Aug 1839.
9. Presbyterian Cemetery
Located in the northeast quarter of Section 27, at the northwest corner of the intersection of County Road 34 and State Route 309, 1/4 mile west of Iberia. Was .38 acre. Per WPA Project records: "Abandoned. Burials moved to Washington Township Cemetery." [Iberia]
10. Tuttle Cemetery
Located in the northwest quarter of Section 13, west of State Route 61 and 1/2 mile south of County Road 31. No stones visible.
11. United Presbyterian Cemetery
Located in Outlot #6, Village of Iberia, 320' south of State Route 309 at County Road 30. No stones visible.
Return to the Home Page
|Copyright 2012 by the Morrow County Genealogical Society - All rights reserved.
This site may be freely linked to but not duplicated in any fashion without written consent.