(photo courtesy of Dick Baker)
The Hagadorn House pictured above was built in the early 1830's by Jesse Angell, a prosperous merchant whose general store was located across the street from his house.
By 1867, the house was occupied by the John Wetherby family. Their daughter, Cornelia Wetherby married William Hagadorn in 1869. They resided here with her parents. In 1872 the Wetherbys moved to their farm and the house became the Hagadorn home.
The second Hagadorn generation in residence was William H. and Alice Simmons Hagadorn who owned the store across Karrdale Avenue from their home.
The third generation here was Kenneth W. and Marie Dodds Hagadorn. Marie was a nurse and Kenneth was the postmaster in Almond. They had no children.
It is believed that the original 1830's house consisted of the fireplace room with the attic/bedroom above.
Cornelia's diary of 1868 mentions the addition of the kitchen area.
The two front rooms, gallery and hall with corresponding rooms above were built later--probably during the doctor's time because the present gallery was the doctor's office.
In 1971, the house was bequeathed to the Almond Historical Society by Kenneth Wetherby Hagadorn, grandson of Cornelia Wetherby and Dr. William Hagadorn.