Thomas Jefferson Chapter
Carlsbad, New Mexico
Carlsbad is located in the Chihuahuan Desert along the banks of the Pecos River in southeastern New Mexico. Carlsbad was originally christened the Town of Eddy in 1888. A few years later, with the commercial development of local mineral springs for medicinal qualities, the town changed its name to Carlsbad, after the famous European spa Karlovy Vary, Bohemia. Carlsbad gained international recognition in 1930 when President Herbert Hoover declared Carlsbad Caverns a National Park. Located about 20 miles south of town in the Guadalupe Mountains, it was designated a World Heritage Site in 1995.
Chapter was organized in 1925 with thirteen charter
members, and, after more than eighty years, continues striving to
embody the DAR motto of "God, Home, and Country." Meetings are held at
10:00 a.m. on the second Saturday of the month, Sept.-May in members'
homes. Special events, such as parades, school presentations, and
holiday events are scheduled throughout the year.
Web hyperlinks to non-DAR sites are not the responsibility of the NSDAR, the state organizations, or individual DAR chapters.