Most archives, historical societies, and genealogical societies have special collections and indexes of genealogical value. Usually these types of materials must be searched in person. The following major collections of genealogical records cover the state of Maryland. Contact the Harford County Historical and Harford County Genealogical Society for a listing of holdings that pertain to Harford county.
- DAR - The Daughters of the American Revolution Collection contains transcripts of bible records, cemetery records, church records, marriage, deaths, obituaries and wills. It was microfilmed in 1971 and is available via the FHC on 40 rolls of film. The volumes are arranged by county and many have indexes.
- Jacob M. Holdcraft Collection - This is a card file of over 250,000 alphabetical references to obituaries, tombstone inscriptions, bible records, church records, genealogies, and county records from 1800 to 1977. It primarily covers Frederick County but contains information on other neighboring counties in Maryland. The FHL has 50 copies -- check your local library to see if you can order a copy to view.
- Holdcraft's Tombstone Inscriptions have been published by the Genealogical Publishing Co. of Baltimore. The book is called Names in Stone, 75,000 Cemetery Inscriptions from Frederick County, MD. (FHL book 975.287 V3h, 1985).
- Dielman-Hayward File - This is a collection of over 250,000 obituaries, marriages and biographical items from Maryland Newspapers dating from the late 1700's to the present. This collection is at the Maryland Historical Society.
- Manuscript Genealogies - coorespondence and genealogies from the Maryland Historical Society. Available at the FHL (films 013,171-175)
Return to the top
This county is part of the USGenWeb Project, a non-profit genealogical resource web system, and is maintained by Sonny O'Haver with help and information provided by other volunteers.
Last Revised: Friday, August 27, 2004
© 2005. Garrett County, MD Genealogy