The History of Caroline County, Maryland, From Its Beginning, 1920, pp. 281-283


CONCORD
Howard's and American Corners

CONCORD

        Concord was given its name about 1804, at which time John Mitchell, Isaac Collins, Sr., Horatio Short, Francis Elliott, Peter Causey, James Jenkins and James Sullivan, trustees, appointed by the society that was then meeting at Abraham Collins house (near Potter's Mill Pond) and approved by the preacher in charge bought from Abraham Collins for $15, one and one twentieth acres of land for a meeting house to be called Concord.  There had apparently been no name given to the region up to this time as the records simply speak of the intersection of the two roads, one leading from Greensboro to Hunting Creek and the other from Potter's Landing to Marshyhope Bridge.
        The first church at Concord was built near the site of the present one. Both white and colored people attended this church.  The latter entered by a separate door which led directly up to the gallery.  The present church was erected and dedicated shortly before the Civil War.  The building committee consisted of Peter Sullivan, Gootee Stevens, Wingate Neal, William M.A. Liden, and Tilghman Nuttle.  No account was given of the dedication.  The building was done apparently by Thomas Murphy.   There is a receipt from him dated Jan. 10, 1857, which together with other papers indicate a total of $1861.82 which most likely represents the cash outlay for the building--a considerable sum for a rural church edifice at that time.  The church membership in 1847 was one hundred and five divided into three classes.  The leaders of the classes were Peter Sullivan, Richard Lockerman and Gootee Stevens.  The colored members numbered seventy-seven.
        The first camp meeting at Concord was held in 1857 under the joint pastorate of Revs. W. W. Warner and Daniel George.  Before this time the local camp had been held at Meluney's woods near Andersontown.
        Rev. William Taylor, afterward a bishop, preached the Sunday the money ($60) was raised to pay for four acres of land for the camp ground.  At this time Concord church was included in the Denton circuit.
        Some years ago the Concord church was completely remodeled and about 1906 a parsonage was built, since which time Concord has been a circuit and continues the seat of the county's largest and most noted campground.
        Trustees for public school at Concord were first appointed by the School Board in 1865, before which time by many years a school was apparently maintained.  In 1876 the present school site was purchased from Joseph Mowbray.

HOWARD'S

        Howard's takes its name from several families by that name who live in the community.  The last generation of these people came from England about forty years ago and proved themselves worthy of their native and adopted lands by becoming enterprising and leading citizens.
        In this community as early as 1804 some of the residents planned an establishment of a church and received a visit from Bishop Asbury.
        Being rather too distant to public schools the local citizens in 1909 contributed several hundred dollars towards the erection of the present school building.

AMERICAN CORNERS

        For several years the polling place of the famous Eighth district, this village is located on the state highway about five miles from Federalsburg.
        Years ago one or two stores, a few dwellings and a tomato cannery seemed to be the equipment of the town.  Later, however, the inhabitants of the section succeeded in building a church which belongs to the Methodist Protestant denomination and is attended by the minister from Grove.
        About this time the people tired of sending their children so far to school, joined in building a school and finally succeeded in getting the county to take over the responsibility.  This latter transaction took place in 1889.

Table of Contents  | Previous Chapter | Next Chapter | Home

©2000 Caroline County MDGenWeb
All rights reserved