Search billions of records on

Ross Family Members of Note
Contributed by Lawson L. "Buddy" Duckworth

JOHN SALEM ROSS - January 1, 1832 - December 3, 1919

Veteran of Civil War "War Department" States That:

John Ross Private of Company "D", 2" Regiment "Upper Potomac Home Bridgate" Volunteers was enrolled on the 23rd day of July 1861, at Piedmont Virginia 3 years and borne on the rolls of Company from Muster in to October 31, 1861 presence or absence not stated. Nov and Dec 1861 absent, and detached duty, Jan and Feb 1862 presence of absence not stated. Same to June 30, 1862 July and Aug 1862 present. Same to June 30, 1864 July and August 1864 Absent, in Convalescents Camp Cumberland Maryland. Muster Out Roll of Company September 29, 1864.

National Archives # 670.014.

Claim for Pension October 27, 1888 filed by "Thomas J. McElhenny, attorney Washington, D. C.

Action at "Hunters Raid in 1864" Crippled by rheumatism in the feet, and walked from Lynchburg to Charleston John Kirby claims to have given all the assistance he could to him on the return to Cumberland Maryland and we were separated and He heard he was sent to the Hospital. John Kirby also stated that said John Ross complained of rheumatism before the attack at "Little Ca Capon" and I believe his present crippled condition is the result of his March on "Hunters Raid".

John C. Black, Commissioner states that: John Ross, Co. D, 2nd Reg., P. H. B. Md. Inf. December 12, 1888

While serving in Co. D. 2nd Reg't P.H.B. Md. Inf. was discharged at Cumberland Maryland Sept 29, 1864. and was disabled by rheumatism contacted at "Little Ca Capon" W. Va. 1862 and the same feet at "Hunters Raid - Lynchburg, Virginia in June 1864, was treated in Claysville [Clarysville] Maryland Hospital.

By Steve Hunt - Dec 5, 2000

Categories - HISTORICAL

I went to the National Archives and got the record on John Salem Ross. It goes as follows: John and his brother Joseph enlisted in the town of Piedmont. They signed on with the 2nd Regiment, Company D, under a William Shaw [See note below]. The second Cumberland's job was to guard and protect the B&O railroad, that ran along the Potomac River on the North Branch. A one John Kirby stated that he was with John Ross January or February of 1863 in the area of Little Cacapon, in West Virginia. He also stated that John took ill with rheumatism and was unable to get around for about two months. He went further to say " We were together on Hunter's raid in 1864 and that during that march, he was badly crippled in his feet. He said, He kept with him from Lynchburg to Charleston and gave him all the assistance he could. He said " on their return to Cumberland Md., they were separated and that he heard he was sent to a Hospital. The hospital was in Clarysville.

At the age of 66, John applied for a pension. The record showed that John was five-eleven inches tall. Fair complexion, grey hair and blue eyes. He weighed 176 pounds. He received 12 dollars a month for time served.

He was the first buried in the Loar/Duckworth Cemetery on Dans Mountain above Loartown.

[Note: From "Guarding The River, The Canal, And The Railroad – Papers of Captain Benjamin Burbridge Shaw, Commanding Officer Company D, 2nd Regiment, Potomac Home Brigade, Maryland Volunteers" compiled by Jack Sanders….. John Ross was 44 and living in Barton with his wife and 2 children at the time he enrolled (7/23/1861). Joseph T Ross was 39 and living in Westernport with his wife at the time he enrolled (8/28/1861).]

WILLIAM LACY ROSS - December 13, 1857 - June 20, 1959

William Lacy Ross was my Great-Grandfather and he died the year that I graduated from High School. He would come to the farm and stay during the summer for a vacation. I loved sitting on the porch in the evenings and talking to him about "the olden days". We were some of the first families to have a television in Lonaconing and we always had a house full of company. Great-Grandpap used to seat in the living room and if the television was turned off he would ask me to "Make that thing talk for me". My uncle Charles Dayton had the Television, but lived at a low attitude where there was not signal, so Dad got it and we lived on top of Dans Mountain where we could get a lot of channels.

He as a child could remember hearing the roar of Cannons of the Civil War, the day Lincoln died till the first Satellite was in orbit. I asked him if we would ever make it to the Moon. He quick answer was "Yep". There was no doubt in him about, the abilities of man.

He would talk about seeing both armies of the Civil War. There was a time when he said an Enemy entered his home and slept in his bed with his Sabre across his chest. "He never took off his muddy boots" Great Grandpap said. He still acted a little upset about that. He talked about the "Roar of Canons going off", he lived on the East side of Dans Mountain and could see the road from Cumberland to Keyser from the Height that he lived.

I remember, I asked him about the first Airplane that he saw. He got all excited and said that he heard a terrible racket coming. Then he saw a heavy machine flying through the air, he saw a man moving his arms and legs in this machine and he thought that that was the Lord returning for his people. He said he never prayed so hard in all his life, but it just kept on Going. I still remember how his motioned in there air, from that porch swing, with the palm of his hand and making a signal on a slow wave. I can't help, but feel that those eyes saw the greatest change in History.

There were plenty of "5 Generations" pictures taken with this man and he always loved to have his picture taken. I have one of his 100th Birthday, with his cake.

His way of life was farming and cutting timber. After the heavy work of the farming was to much, he and his wife walked off the Mountain to Cumberland to the "Poor Farm". His Son Simeon saw a article in the Cumberland Times that they were in the Nursing Home, celebrating their "65th Wedding Anniversary" at the nursing home. Grandpap went and make them come stay with him in his home. Great Grandpap said "They didn't want to both anyone" because the depression was just over and things were rough for everyone.

He loved the throat lozenges, the pink and white, and he always had some in his sweater. He would offer us kids one if we were "good boys and girls". I can still hear him when he would set in the living room and whistle "Amazing Grace".

He was Sharpe minded to his death at almost 102 years of age. He was a large man at over 6 foot, with a large mustache and his wife was short at 5 foot 4 inches. I don't recall Great Grandma, she passed away, before I was 2 years of age. I will repeat things I was told about her in her "notes" section.

Before anyone went to bed around him (he always went to bed when it got dark) he would have us gather around the kitchen and pull out the chairs and we had to kneel down and he would lead us in prayer. Which to me was always a very long prayer. Then he would get some coffee bread and sugar and go to bed. Coffee Bread was just that broken up bread in a bowl and pour coffee over it and add sugar to it.

"Great Grandpap I Love You",

ALFRED SIMEON ROSS - February 22, 1892 - May 15, 1989

All the computers in the World could not hold all the information on the type of man this man (My Grandfather) was. God fearing, total devotion to his wife and family. He always said that if you can't speak kindly about someone, then you should keep your mouth shut.

There no doubt about it God put this "Man and Wife" on earth for a special purpose and they fulfilled every thing they were requested to do. There was never a cross word between them.

Grandpap met his wife Bessie Van Meter at the Post Office, down what is now Route 220 south of Cumberland, at a place called Dawson. She lived across the Potomac at a placed called Riverside, West Virginia. That is East of Dans Mountain. He was dragging Logs from Dans Mountain with a Team of Horses, she was checking for their mail at the Danville Post Office. He was raised by his father on the South East Side of Dans Mountain.

My father was dating my mother and Grandpap was on his was to the Mines, Grandma was ready to have a baby and so was Grandpap's favorite Hound Dog, As they passed walking, my father asked "Sim did she have it yet", Grandpap said yea, she had 7. He was talking about his Hound. We always got a laugh talking about this.

My Grandpap was "Quick Witted" and a "Clown" the most enjoyable person in the world to work with. I spent many days on the Farm with him helping us after he retired from Ocean Mines. He worked in a number of Coal Mines when he got older. He said that he started working in the Mines when he was old enough that his lunch bucket didn't drag the ground, then he was old enough.

On our Farm he always was there a 7 A.M. and I had to have the Team ready for him, he would work all day behind that Team of Horses. He could plow a straighter furrow with a Team then any modern farmer can with the best of Tractors. That was his way of life also. He lived a straight "Christian Life" and had a modest home life, honesty above all, and never had said "Bad of Anyone".

I learned to Hunt with this man and he killed an 8 point buck when he was in his Eighty's, he said when in the woods with my father, and there wasn't enough stumps for everyone. Then here came the buck within 5 minutes and he got it, the Cumberland Times wrote an article and put his picture in their paper.



In these day of divorce and separation it is unusual for find a couple who has been married for the long span of sixty-five years.

Yesterday afternoon an aged couple at the county home celebrated their sixty-fifth anniversary, happy in the fact that they are still together, and they personify the term "devotion" in the high degree.

Married 1875 , On Sunday afternoon, December 12, 1875. Mr. and Mrs Lacy W. Ross, took their vows and to this day they have kept them. Both were born in Allegany County and have lived here since. Mr. Ross followed the occupation of Farmer and Woodsman until he became too old for heavy farm work.

They are the Parents of ten children, of whom seven are still living. They have fifty grandchildren, forty-five great grandchildren and one great-great grandchild.

Both remember the roar of cannons during the Civil War and the sight of both Union and Confederate soldiers was a common occurance near Jackson Mountain (part of Dans Mountain) where they lived as children.


While chatting yesterday with William M. Matheney, superintendent of the County Home, Mr. Ross told him he didn't believe in divorce and thought more marriages would be happy ones if a family were raised and the couple stayed together during trying times as well as times of prosperity.

After lunch yesterday Mr. Ross walked with his wife to the stairs leading to the women's rooms and after talking to her for several minutes, he kissed her goodbye until they met at the super hour. Mr and Mrs. Matheney said it was one of the most touching scenes they had ever witnessed at the home.

Mr. and Mrs. Ross declared they were treated with the utmost care and kindness and comforts of the home and appreciated them.

To a visitor to the home it is a living example of a happy marriage.


(When their son saw this in the paper - he left immediately and made them come and live the rest of their lives with him in his home) There are many on George's Creek that remember his sitting on the porch and waving to all the traffic going by their home in Ocean Mines. (That son was my Grandfather Alfred Simeon Ross) William Lacy lived to be 102 years short 6 months.

Respectfully submitted: Lawson L. "Buddy" Duckworth