Distinguished Citizens of
Excerpts from History of Allegany County
by Williams and Thomas (1923)
You can scroll through the list of over 600 citizens, or select the first letter of the surname that interests you. As biographies are scanned, they will be added here in the form of links. These biographies are contributed to the USGenWeb Project and may no be reproduced by any commercial organization for the purpose of sale to the public.
Henry A. Bachman
HENRY A. BACHMAN, president of the board of county commissioners of Allegany county, is a man of unassuming nature, but his worth has been very substantially evidenced in his accomplishments, which form a permanent part of the records of business development in Cumberland, and of civic advancement in both city and county. Mr. Bachman never attempted anything spectacular in business, but by attending industriously to the immediate necessities of his undertakings, and holding himself ready to take advantage of opportunities, made a success which has placed him among the solid men of capital in this section. In public life, also, he has not reached out for power to be used in the furtherance of his own ends, but his intelligent and well directed services have been so well employed in the interest of the citizens he has represented that they have gladly availed themselves of his experience in the management of the affairs of the community, his association therewith covering a long period in the capacities of city councilman and county commissioner. His choice to the presidency of the present board was an honor won by merit, with no fear that he would abuse its privileges.
Mr. Bachman is of German parentage, his father, John Martin Bachman, having been born in 1812 in Germany, whence he came to this country in young manhood. He was a tanner by occupation, and became a respected resident of Cumberland, Allegany county, Maryland, where several of his children still remain. He and his wife Louisa (Starr) are both now deceased, the father having passed away in 1892; at the advanced age of eighty years. Of their eight children, Elizabeth is deceased; William, deceased; Catherine is the wife of Frederick Wm. Flurshutz, a telegraph operator of Cumberland; Margaret S. is the wife of H. U. F. Flurshutz, a prominent merchant of Cumberland, mention of whom will be found elsewhere in this work; John is a butcher in Cumberland; Henry A. is a resident of Cumberland; Mary L., deceased, was the wife of Henry Jammer. The father was an active member of the German Lutheran Church, and helped to build the old church of that denomination at Cumberland.
Henry A. Bachman is a native of Cumberland, born April 26, 1860. His education was received in the parochial schools of the German Evangelical Lutheran Church, and the public schools in his home city, which he attended up to the age of thirteen years, when he was apprenticed to learn cabinet making. He acquired his early knowledge of this trade in the furniture factory of Kennedy H. Butler, at that time one of the most reliable establishments of its kind in this vicinity, remaining there until the old factory was destroyed by fire. Then he joined his brother-in-law, Mr. H. U. F. Flurshutz, who had become engaged in the same line in Cumberland, and with whom he followed his trade for some thirty years, his fine workmanship and adaptability to modern improvements in the business being a very important factor in advancing the prestige of the Flurshutz store, which is now one of the foremost houses in its line in this part of the country. Of late years Mr. Bachman has devoted much of his time to his public duties, which have been increasing steadily in responsibility, but he has not dropped his business interests, and he was active in the management of the Citizens Savings Bank of Cumberland, before its merger into the Liberty Trust Co., as a member of its board of directors. In February, 1920, Mr. Bachman became one of the incorporators and is still a director of the People's Bank, Cumberland's newest and rapidly growing financial institution.
For the last forty years Mr. Bachman has been known as a staunch Republican and a valued worker in the party. As such he was elected to the city council for three terms, and was President of the council for one term, and he is now serving his fifth term on the Board of County Commissioners, of which he has been continuously the executive head during his entire term of membership. It is no more than fair to say that Mr. Bachman's work in this body has been such as to receive the unqualified support of the best element in the county, regardless of party, for it has been his aim to encourage measures and action intended to benefit the people generally, and not to favor any one class. The approval of the voters generally has been based on their recognition of his principles in this respect.
He is one of the pillars of the St. Luke's Lutheran Church at Cumberland, having been active in its membership practically all his life and a member of the church board for the last twenty-six years. Socially he is well known in fraternal bodies, belonging to Ohr Lodge, No. 131, A. F. & A. M., to Salem Chapter Royal Arch Masons; to Antioch Commandery, No. 6, K. T., to Boumi Temple of Shriners; to Cumberland Lodge, No. 60, Knights of Pythias and to Chosen Friends Lodge, No. 31, I. O. O. F.
By his marriage to Miss Catherine Dehler, of Cumberland, Mr. Bachman had two daughters, Nellie May and Margaret S., deceased, and a son, Karl Dehler Bachman, who follows his father's trade, cabinet-making; he married Miss Pearl Manse, and they have two sons, Henry Walter and Karl William. Mrs. Catherine (Dehler) Bachman died on September 15, 1901.
Frank L. Barkdall
Transcribed by Ed Harne
(Corrections highlighted in maroon)
FRANK L. BARKDALL (BARKDOLL), M.D. - Medical science in the twentieth century has reached great heights, and today there is no business, vocation, calling or profession that more truly deserves the approbation and esteem of mankind than does the enlightened practice of medicine and surgery designed to cure his ills. This recognition is a result and an essential of civilization. Perhaps at no time in the history of our country has there been more sympathetic regard for the ills of humanity, both at home and far away, than at present, and an investigation will prove that those who have been earliest and most helpful and practical in succor, have been those who bear the vows of the noble profession of medicine. One of the representative physicians and surgeons of Allegany county, Maryland, is Dr. Frank L. Barkdall, of Cumberland, a citizen of high personal character, and a medical man of recognized ability.
Dr. Frank L. Barkdall was born near Waynesboro, in Franklin county, Pennsylvania, September 10, 1880. His parents were William and Alice (Snodderly) Barkdall, the former of whom was born in Franklin County, Pennsylvania, and the latter in Washington county, Maryland. The grandfather of Dr. Barkdall was also born in Pennsylvania, but was of German parentage, the Barkdalls being one of the old and thrifty agricultural families of Franklin county. Grandfather Barkdall lived to the age of eighty-six years and his wife to eighty-four. William Barkdall, father of Dr. Barkdall, was a man of substantial standing in his neighborhood, and at one time was proprietor of the National Hotel, at Greencastle, Pennsylvania. Of his three children, Frank L. was the second born; Grover C., of Toledo, Ohio, was the youngest; and Etta S., who is a physician, is bacteriologist in Indiana State University at Indianapolis (Terre Haute).
Frank L. Barkdall spent his boyhood at Waynesboro, attending the public schools. Later he completed his high school course at Hagerstown, Maryland, and then entered the Normal school at Lebanon, Ohio. From that institution he was graduated as a civil engineer, in 1898, presumably with the intentions of following the profession as his life work. Very soon, however, this young man of versatile talent found his inclination and ambition leading in an entirely different direction, and this eventuated in his becoming a diligent student of medical science. He entered the Southern Homeopathic Medical College of Baltimore, from which institution he most creditably graduated in 1902, receiving his medical degree. On July 4, 1902, he established himself at Cumberland, Maryland, with the interests of which city he has been identified ever since. To his medical gifts, Dr. Barkdall has added the virtues of good citizenship, taking active concern in worthy progressive movements of all kinds, and lending his influence to the upbuilding of beneficial enterprises.
On September 6, 1903, Dr. Barkdall was united in marriage to Miss Catherine Snodderly, who is a daughter of George Snodderly, of Hagerstown, Maryland. Dr. and Mrs. Barkdall have two children; William George and Frances Elizabeth, who have been carefully reared and educated.
There is comparatively little time to spare for activity in politics in the life of a busy physician, and he is seldom found in the ranks of office seekers, but as men of wide information and serious habits of thought, they are apt to have strong convictions as to public policy, and are fearless in maintaining them. Dr. Barkdall has always been a Democrat. Professionally, he belongs to the Allegheny County Medical Society and the Cumberland Academy of Medicine. In fraternal life a Mason, he belongs to Ohr Lodge, No. 131, A.F.& A.M., and to Cumberland Lodge, No., B.P.O.E.
ALBERT BENDER, who is a substantial business man and progressive citizen of Eckhart, Maryland, has been a resident of this part of Allegany county for many years. Having had experience along more than one line of effort, he has a broader outlook than many men ever reach, and through well directed industry and natural good judgment has reached a substantial position in the business world. Like many other representative men of Allegany county, Mr. Bender followed the business of coal mining for a number of years, was concerned also in sawmilling, lumbering and other enterprises, and at present, in addition to being part owner of the Eckhart Opera House, was connected with the Piedmont and Georges Creek Coal Company as a stationary engineer.
Albert Bender was born at Green Ridge in Allegany county, Maryland, April 24, 1866, His parents were August and Elizabeth (Peters), both of whom are deceased. August Bender was born in Germany and was seven years old when he accompanied his parents to the United States. They settled in. Allegany county, Maryland, and here he spent the rest of his life as a farmer. He married Elizabeth Peters, also of German ancestry, and they became the parents of eleven children, the most of whom live in Maryland and are well known in Allegany county. Of this family Albert was the fifth in order of birth, the others being as follows: David and Henry, both of whom are deceased; George, who lives at Frostburg; Jacob, who is a farmer in Flintstone district, Allegany county; Mary, who is the wife of Calvin Weiddel, of Flintstone district, a farmer; Julia, who is the wife of John Waleizer, a lumber dealer at Davis, West Virginia; Sarah, who is the wife of Andrew Rice, who is with the J. C. Orrick & Son firm of Cumberland; Daniel, who is a farmer near Millersburg, Pennsylvania; Columbus, who is in business at Cumberland, Maryland; and Ella, who is the wife of Frederick Ludwig, of Friendsville, Garrett county, Maryland.
Albert Bender grew up on his father's farm on Green Ridge, and obtained a district school education. . He was still a youth when he began to work at lumbering and in sawmills, where he continued long enough to gain a fair acquaintance with that line of business. As his help was not needed on the home farm, he then looked about for other employment, finally deciding to try coal mining, and this business he followed for the next fifteen years in the Hoffman mines, retiring from mining when other opportunities for business presented themselves. For five years he drove a livery team for R. M. Wilson of Eckhart, and afterward drove a team for seven years for J. J. Carter, who conducted a general store at Eckhart.
It was about this time that Mr. Bender applied himself to the study of engineering, with a view of becoming a stationary engineer, a position that was awaiting him with the Piedmont & Georges Creek Coal Company, which he has very efficiently filled for some years. In the meanwhile other business propositions interested him, and one of these led to a large and fortunate investment. In 1915, in partnership with A. L. Porter, he bought the Eckhart Opera House, a substantial structure favorably situated for public entertainments, and these have been conducted with such good business judgment, that this venture has proved very profitable and very satisfactory to the general public.
Mr. Bender was married May 3, 1891, to Miss Catherine Pengilly, who is a daughter of Hannibal and Elizabeth (Walkingshew) Pengilly, well known residents of Eckhart, whose other children are as follows: Janet, who is the wife of Louis Race;. Mary, who is the wife of Frederick Crowe, of Eckhart; Hannibal, deceased, who was a resident of Allegany county; and Margaret, who is the wife of Conrad Lapp. Mrs. Bender was the third born in her parents' family.
Mr. And Mrs. Bender have had four children, two daughters and two sons, the latter of whom, Lester and Ralph, are living. Both little daughters have passed away, Vida at the age of ten years, and Vivien in childhood. Mrs. Bender succumbed October 17, 1918, to an attack of influenza, during the dread epidemic of that disease, throughout the country.
Mr. Benders second marriage took place January 5,1921, at Elkins, West Virginia, at which time and place he married Miss Martha E. Robinson, youngest daughter of Siras V. Robinson. Mrs. Bender is a cousin of former Judge Ira E. Robinson, of West Virginia, and was born and reared in Barbour County-a county noted for its contribution of high-purposed men and women to public life.
Mr. Bender and his family are members of the English Baptist church, of Eckhart. In his political view's he has always been loyal to the principles of the Republican party. In fraternal life he is a valued member of the Junior O. U. A. M., and belongs also to the order of Heptasophs.
Mr. Bender has handled a great amount of real estate, and during the past few years has connected himself with some coal enterprises of high promise. Being a practical mine worker for years in the employ of other companies is all a most valuable asset to him in the capacity of one of the employers. Mr. Bender is a stockholder and member of the Board of Directors of the Radcliff-Somerville Coal Company, operating a large tract of coal land at Arden, West Virginia, to which place Mr. Bender devotes most of his time. He is also a stockholder in the Fairmont-Belmont Coal Co., operating at Flushing, Belmont County, Ohio, and in the Casualty Insurance Co., of Detroit, Michigan.
Daniel J Betz
DANIEL J. BETZ has been living retired at Frostburg since he gave up the jewelry establishment there with which he was associated, for forty-two years, having had the oldest stand of the kind in this section. A man who began life modestly, and with no prospects for advancement except what he could win by his own efforts, he has had the gratifying experience of reaching a position among the most substantial men of his home city, and holding the unqualified respect of all classes in the community. Mr. Betz was born in Frostburg, April 13, 1849, son of Jacob and Philippa (Heintz) Betz, who settled in Allegany county, Maryland, about 1844. The father was a miner for many years with the old Midlothian Coal Co. When he arrived at Frostburg it was nothing but a small town on the old National pike, with neither steam road nor trolley line to connect it with the outside world. The family have ever since been ranked with the estimable residents of the place. Of his nine children, seven grew to maturity, namely; Phillippa, deceased, was the wife of George Ort ; Daniel J.; Luvenia, the wife of Conrad Ort, of Frostburg; Charles, a grocer there; Henrietta, wife of John Williams, marble manufacturer, mentioned elsewhere in this work; E. L., who is in the jewelry business at Frostburg; Henry, deceased; Phillip and William, deceased in childhood.
Daniel J. Betz obtained his education in the common schools of Frostburg, where most of his life has been passed. When fourteen years old he found work at the old Midlothian Mines as a coal weigher, working three years under his father. By that time he had decided upon the jeweler's trade, and at the age of eighteen he began his apprenticeship with the late Samuel T. Little, of Cumberland, the pioneer jeweler of Allegany county, remaining with him from 1868 until his return to Frostburg in 1872. Thereafter until his retirement he was in the jewelry business at the stand now occupied by the Jeffries brothers, originally in partnership with S. T. Little, with whom he was associated four years. He then bought out Mr. Little's interest, and continued the business as sole proprietor under the name of D. J. Betz until he sold to the present owners, his former employees, in 1912; retiring from the jewelry trade after nearly forty-five years of active connection with it. Mr. Betz gained a leading place in his line in Allegany county, his practical acquirements being well supplemented with good judgment and capable management. He always kept ahead of the demands of the trade, the up-to-date service and merchandise for which his establishment could be depended upon attracting the patronage of particular buyers within a wide radius of Frostburg. From boyhood Mr. Betz displayed mechanical genius and skill in handicraft, and he still has a specimen of work done in his juvenile days, a complete model of the old English Lutheran Church of Frostburg which he carved with a small penknife.
Mr. Betz has withdrawn from active business associations, but he retains the oversight of his property, being one of the largest owners of real estate in the city. Besides the modern, well improved residence which he occupies on West Main street, he has three valuable store properties in the business center of Frostburg, and several tenant houses elsewhere in the city.
On November 17, 1875 Mr. Betz married Miss Emma Jarett, of Frostburg, daughter of Jacob Jarett, one of the pioneer residents of the city, where he conducted the first furniture store of which the young town boasted. Mr. and Mrs. Betz have one daughter, Nellie V., who is unmarried and resides with her parents. He is a Republican in his political views, and though not directly active in public life, takes a good citizen's interest in the trend of all affairs affecting the general welfare, supporting good measures whatever their origin.
Franklin Buchanan Beall
FRANKLIN BUCHANAN BEALL, for eight years postmaster at Cumberland, has been prominent in the political and official circles of Allegany county as well as in business and professional life for over a quarter of a century. He established his residence at Cumberland in young manhood, and has spent practically all his life in this region, where his achievements have added to the prestige of one of its most respected names, being strictly in accordance with the high principles attaching to it during the several generations in which it has been represented in Allegany county. The family is one of the oldest in America, having been settled here from the early Colonial period. Its founder, Col. Ninian Beall, came to this country from the Barbados Islands, and his descendants in every generation have had their part in the typical movements of the times, showing strength of character and intellect which entitled them to place among the leading representatives of their times.
Capt. Charles Beall, son of Col. Ninian Beall, was captain of a company of Colonial militia. The Captain's son, Ninian Beall, known as Ninian Beall, Sr., was a large planter and slave owner near Bladensburg, in Prince Georges county, Md. There was born his son, Thomas Beall, who spent his youth and early manhood in that section, served as a soldier in the Revolutionary War, and in 1781 settled on Evitts Creek, in Allegany county, Md., which was then a part of Washington county. David Beall, eldest son of Thomas Beall, was born in 1767 in Prince Georges county, and married Mary Davis. He settled with his father in Allegany county, where this branch of the family has ever since ranked with the most substantial residents of Western Maryland. Alpheus Benjamin Beall, son of David and Mary (Davis) Beall, was born November 20, 1794, on a farm at Evitts Creek, four miles east of Cumberland, Allegany county, and died in 1868. A farmer, cabinetmaker and millwright, he led an active, useful and prosperous life, and reared a- large family, whose members have done credit to their ancestry in various walks of life. He was twice married, having twelve children by his first union, with Ann Hill, the nine who reached maturity being George Wesley P., who is now deceased; Caroline, who married John McNell, their son Frank McNell being one of the leading members of the bar at Wheeling, W. Va.; William Hill, deceased; Alfred, deceased; Lewis, deceased.; Mary, deceased, who was the wife of William Wolvington, of Baltimore, Md.; Grafton Asbury, a resident of Wheeling, W. Va., now eighty-three years old; Martha, deceased, who was the wife of Dr. James McGinnis, of Wheeling; and Minerva, deceased, who was married to Moses Eastman, of Iowa. For his second wife Alpheus Benjamin Beall married Elizabeth Smith, and to them were born three children, James H., Harrison S. and Franklin Buchanan, the last named, along with Grafton Asbury, being the only survivors. The father was a staunch Democrat and a public-spirited citizen, and he served in the American Army during the War of 1812, taking part in the defense of Baltimore. Mr. Beall's maternal grandfather, James Smith also served in same company. In religious connection he was a Methodist. He is buried in the old Beall cemetery on Evitt's Creek, east of Cumberland.
Franklin Buchanan Beall was born December 3, 1857, on the farm on Evitt's Creek which was his father's birthplace. He was reared there, and was sent to the local public schools, but as he was only nine years old when his father died intestate, and he had to take his share of the work on the home farm at an early age; thus his education was continued in the face of difficulties that would have discouraged a youth less determined to have the kind of training which he considered desirable. For several years he was employed at farm labor, meantime making all the opportunities he could for study, and in 1876 he had the gratification of winning a scholarship in St. John's College, at Annapolis, Maryland, in competitive examination. He entered that institution as a member of the class of 1880, and practically completed the course, though he had to leave during his senior year in order to earn money to discharge the obligations he had incurred while at college. Returning to Allegany county, he taught school for two years, and in 1882 took up the study of law under Hon. William Walsh, being admitted to the bar in Allegany county in 1884. During the year following, he was engaged at his profession, the next year resuming farming. Then he devoted himself to legal practice for five years, until he became a partner in the Cumberland Hardware Company, a wholesale and retail house with which he retained his connection until 1898, in which year he sold his interest therein in order to take a position as traveling salesman. For a short time afterwards he was a clerk in the First National Bank of Cumberland. He has since been largely occupied with public duties. In 1900 he was appointed engrossing clerk by the House of Delegates of Maryland, filling this position through several sessions. He has also held the office of justice of the peace, has been coroner of Allegany county, and in 1913 was appointed by President Wilson to the postmastership of Cumberland, for a term of four years, and in 1918 was reappointed for four years more. His administration of the duties of the position has not disappointed his numerous friends in the city in the least, having won general approval which stamps his work as efficient and himself as well qualified for its responsibilities. Mr. Beall's long connection with public life was a helpful preparation for his present duties, and he showed himself readily adaptable to their new requirements, which he has handled skillfully and conscientiously. His courage and perseverance in making his own way to a success in life have been equally valuable in the services he has performed for others, to which he has applied himself with the same zeal that he used in advancing his personal affairs.
For almost forty years Mr. Beall has been one of the most valued workers and trusted leaders in the Democratic party in Allegany county, having had the honor of filling the chairmanship of the county committee.
Fraternally-he affiliates with the Woodmen of America and the Loyal Order of Moose.
On September 13, 1885, Mr. Beall married Miss Rosa E. Hinkle, of Allegany county, daughter of Morgan Hinkle. They have had three children: Rosa May, who is now the wife of Robert L. Fisher, of Cleveland, Ohio; Violet, who died when seventeen years old; and Ninian, who was a midshipman, class of 1920, in the United States Naval Academy at Annapolis, Md.
Since this sketch was written, Mr. Beall died September 22, 1923.
C. G. Berkshire
The development of sound business connections is work for a lifetime. All men do not succeed, for many fail to discover their natural bent, and therefore are not able to accomplish what otherwise might have been possible under more favorable conditions. Others do not possess the industry and resourcefulness so necessary in all lines, and still others fail because of a lack of training. Cumberland is the home of some of the most dependable houses in the State, owned by men of exceptional caliber, and among the latter one worthy of special mention in a work of this high character is C. G. Berkshire, proprietor of the largest and most completely-equipped tonsorial establishment in the city, located at No. 12 South Liberty street.
C. G. Berkshire was born in Fairmont, West Virginia, April 6, 1868, and he is a son of Francis and Harriet (Mauller) Berkshire, now deceased. Francis Berkshire was a cabinetmaker by trade, and a skilled workman. He was born at Morgantown, West Virginia, and died at Fairmont, when forty-nine years old. He was a son of Nelson Berkshire, a native of England, and the father of a large family. Francis Berkshire had six children, as follows: Sophia, who lives at Chattanooga, Tennessee; Clara, who lives at Tiffin, Ohio; Dora, who lives at Cumberland; Anna, who is also a resident of Tiffin, Ohio; Charles G., whose name heads this review; and Ella, who lives in Wheeling, West Virginia. The father of these children was a Republican in politics, and in religion a Methodist. He was a hard working man, a good citizen, and when he died, his loss was felt by the community.
C. G. Berkshire grew up at Fairmont, West Virginia, where he attended the public schools, and where, when still a boy, he began learning the barber's trade, at which he continued to work until he was of age. He then opened a shop for himself at Fairmont, and conducted it until 1894 when he located in Cumberland, and opened a shop on Baltimore street near the Baltimore & Ohio Railroad. Later he moved to No. 3 Liberty street, and continued in business at that location for several years. Leaving it he returned to Baltimore street, and from about 1904 conducted a shop on the present site of the Dime Savings Bank. From this stand he went to the Daily News Building, at 107 Baltimore street. In 1916 he returned to his old location at No. 3 Liberty street, and in 1918 returned to No. 78 Baltimore street for two years. In 1921 he opened his present modern establishment at No. 12 South Liberty street. This shop is equipped with new chairs and all of the latest and most improved appliances used in his business. Mr. Berkshire is a very competent barber and takes a pride in rendering as perfect a service as anyone in the city.
In 1892 Mr. Berkshire was married to Miss Ada Wheatley of Clarksburg, West Virginia, and they had one son born to them, who was accidentally killed, July 25, 1917, while in the service of the Pennsylvania Railroad. Like his father he is a Methodist, and like him, he supports the candidates of the Republican party. His fraternal connections are those he maintains with Cumberland Lodge, K. of P. Mr. and Mrs. Berkshire reside at Number 42 Frederick street, where they have a pleasant home. A strictly self-made man, Mr. Berkshire deserves the success he has earned entirely through his own efforts. For a quarter of a century he has conducted what has been admittedly the leading barber shop of the city, and during that time has earned the esteem of his fellow townsmen by his upright life and honorable methods of doing business.
FRANK BILLMEYER is a well known lumber dealer and manufacturer in Allegany county, Maryland, where he has been doing business for the last twenty years, more recently in the city of Cumberland. He is a man of sterling personal qualities as well as business enterprise and has made his own way to a substantial position by such honorable means that he is thoroughly respected wherever his activities have taken him.
Mr. Billmeyer was born March 10, 1868, in Montour county, Pennsylvania, son of Andrew Jackson and Malinda (Bowers) Billmeyer, and his family is one of the oldest in that section. His parents reared ten children, namely: Sarah, who is the wife of Lewis Buss, of Pennsylvania; John, also living in Pennsylvania; George, deceased; Andrew, a resident of Montour county, Pennsylvania; Charles, deceased; Edward, who is in Garrett county, Maryland; Frank; Clara, married to J. W. Deitrich ; Alice, twin of Clara, married to Joseph Bogart, of Pennsylvania; and Emma, deceased.
Frank Billmeyer was reared and educated in his native county, spending his early life in attendance at the public schools and in working on the farm at a sawmill for his father. He was thoroughly, trained to the milling business and eventually bought a sawmill for himself in Somerset county, Pennsylvania. Thence he removed to Garrett county, Maryland, where he also owned a mill, and subsequently did business for a time at Womelsdorf, West Virginia, before coming to Allegany county in 1898. Here he continued sawmilling and lumbering, buying a large tract of land and starting a mill at Little Orleans, Allegany county, where he did business for about fifteen years under the name of the Billmeyer Lumber Company. At the end of that period he sold out to Herman Billmeyer & Father, and has since been in business at Cumberland on his own account entirely, handling all kinds of lumber as a dealer and manufacturing several special varieties. He has offices in the Third National Bank building. He has done well by hard work and close application to all the details of his enterprises, his prosperity having a substantial and creditable basis.
Mr. Billmeyer is interested in the fraternal bodies and other representative activities of his community, holding membership in Ohr Lodge, No. 131, A. F. & A. M., and Chosen Friend Lodge, No. 34, I. O. O. F., both of Cumberland. Politically he gives his allegiance to the Democratic party.
In June 1893, Mr. Billmeyer married Miss Nina Breig, of Somerset county, Pennsylvania, daughter of Ferdinand Breig of that State. Mr. and Mrs. Billmeyer have one daughter; Ruth Alberta, who is the wife of Archibald Lingamfelter, of Cumberland, who has one son, Bruce Robert Billmeyer, also living in Cumberland.
H. D. Billmeyer
H. D. BILLMEYER, owner of the Billmeyer Lumber Company of Cumberland controls a substantial share of the trade in his field, both wholesale and retail, catering especially to the railroad and shipbuilding trade, with whose requirements he is thoroughly familiar. His energetic, wideawake temperament and capacity for practical achievement have made him a valued factor in the business situation in the city in a general way, and he is an active member of the executive committee of the Cumberland Chamber of Commerce, being also associated with other representative organizations.
Mr. Billmeyer belongs to a Pennsylvania family established in this country several generations ago, his branch being founded in Montour county by George Billmeyer, a descendant of early settlers in the State. The latter's son, George, was the great-grandfather of H. D. Billmeyer, and his grandparents were George and Abigail Billmeyer, residents of Montour county, the former having been born in 1812 and died in 1899. Andrew H. Billmeyer, son of George and Abigail, was born there in 1858 and died in 1913 in Cumberland, Allegany county, Maryland, where he was well known, having been a member of Ohr Lodge, No. 131, A. F. and A. M.; the I. O. O. F. of Potts Grove, Pennsylvania and Cumberland Lodge, No. 63, B. P. O. Elks. He was engaged in the lumber business for many years.
By his marriage to Sarah E. Deterick Mr. Billmeyer had four children, H. D. Billmeyer being the only one of this family to reach maturity; George, Fred and John all dying in childhood.
H. D. Billmeyer was born May 16, 1880, on a farm near Danville, Montour county, Pennsylvania, and was reared in the country. He attended the local common schools until fifteen years old, from which time he assisted his father in the lumber business, acquiring a practical knowledge of its details at an early age. His first work in this line was in Randolph county, West Virginia. In 1897 he located in Cumberland, Maryland, where he has since been engaged in the sawmilling and general lumber business, giving particular attention to railroad and ship timber, which constitutes his principal line. His good judgment as a buyer has been an important element in building up his business, assuring patrons of desirable and dependable stock.
By his first marriage to Lulu M. Johnson, who died in January, 1914, Mr. Billmeyer has one son, Edwin Donald. In November, 1915, he married, for his second wife, Miss Esther May Bookwalter, of Ohio.
Mrs. Billmeyer is a teacher of elocution and an expert in the training of children in local and amateur theatricals. She is affiliated with the Methodist Episcopal Church of Cumberland, and is a woman of rare charm and talent.
Mr. Billmeyer, while a staunch Democrat, has never cared for public office. He was active on various local committees during the World War, and was financial secretary of the Allegany County War Chest.
Prof. Orble Brooks Boughton
Principal of the Pennsylvania Avenue Junior High School of Cumberland, is one of the earnest, dependable and popular educators of Allegany county, and a man who has made his own way in life, and acquired his educational training largely through his own efforts. A man of ripened experience, he has brought his knowledge of men and books to his present work to such an extent that his pupils bear the stamp of his forceful personality, and go out into the world commensurately fitted for the life before them.
Professor Boughton was born in Frostburg, Allegany County, Maryland, April 13, 1876, a son of William G. and Sarah E. (Parker) Boughton. By trade William G. Boughton is a carriage builder and he and his wife have three children; Orble Brooks, who is the eldest; William Howard, who is a resident of Cleveland, Ohio; and Ella Robelia, who is also a resident of Cleveland. The Boughton family is of French origin, three brothers, Joshua, John, and Thomas, having come to America from France, and settled in the Virginia colony prior to the American Revolution. Joshua Boughton, a lineal descendant of the aforenamed Joshua, was the father of four sons--- Reuben, John, Thomas and Brooks Boughton. The last-named son, Brooks Boughton, was the grandfather of Professor Boughton, and he was born December 24, 1803. His only son, William George Boughton, born April 19, 1850, at Stock Hill Farm, adjoining the ancestral home on the Rappahannock River, Essex county, Virginia, is the father of Professor Boughton.
Through his mother, Professor Boughton traces his ancestry to several other old families of the country. She is the daughter of William H. Parker, who, in the early days, drove an old fashioned stage coach over the old National Turnpike, carrying the United States mail from Cumberland, Maryland, over the Allegany Mountains to Uniontown, Pennsylvania. William H. Parker married Miss Rebecca Humbertson, of Lord, Allegany county, Maryland, who was the daughter of William and Sarah (Loar) Humbertson, the latter being a daughter of Sarah (Eckhart) Loar, after whose father the town of Eckhart was named. Miss Rebecca Humbertson also was a sister of the late Thomas Humbertson, of Frostburg, Maryland, who lived to be 100 years of age, a sketch of whom appears elsewhere in this work.
Growing up at Frostburg, Professor Boughton while a lad attended the public school of his native city, and pursued his studies to such excellent purpose that at the age of twenty years he was able to commence teaching school in the Parkersburg schoolhouse at Eckhart, Allegany county, Maryland. His success was so convincing that he decided that in the educational field he could find expression for his personality, and through this calling render a service which would be of real value. He next served as principal of the Ellerslie and Vale Summit public schools. As he gained experience and confidence in his own ability, better opportunities opened up before him, and he was made principal of the high school at Barton, where he taught for six years, and from which he resigned in June 1906, and spent a year in study along commercial lines.
In September, 1907, he was appointed principal of the Grahamtown school of Frostburg, but resigned that same fall to become principal of the Mount Savage school. Resigning from that school the subsequent year, he was appointed assistant superintendent of schools under Archibald C. Willison, superintendent of schools for Allegany County. After holding that office for four years, the election of a Republican State ticket changed the incumbent of the office of county superintendent, and Professor Boughton was made principal of the North Center Street school at Cumberland. Four years later he was transferred to the Junior High School on Pennsylvania avenue, South Cumberland where, as principal, he is rounding out his quarter of a century in educational work. A born educator, Professor Boughton enjoys his work, and has advanced far in his chosen calling. A close student, he keeps abreast of all progress in his profession, and has attended summer sessions at the University of Chicago, Illinois, and the Western Reserve University at Cleveland, Ohio, but the greater part of his training has been self gained. He is a Democrat in politics, and a Presbyterian in religion. Fraternally he belongs to Mountain Lodge, No. 99, A. F. & A. M. of Frostburg, of which his father is a Past Master and one of the oldest members. He is also a member of Washington Camp, No. 62, of the Patriotic Order Sons of America of Maryland, and of its State Committee on Education. He has served as President of the Allegany County Teachers' Association and is president of their retirement and relief fund.
On October 25, 1911, Professor Boughton was married to Miss Christine Fleming McAlpine, a daughter of John McAlpine, who came from Wishaw, Lanarkshire, Scotland, to the United States and located at Lonaconing, Allegany county, during the early development of the coal fields of the George's Creek region. Professor and Mrs Boughton have two daughters; Lillian Elizabeth and Helen Virginia.
Copied by: Pat Hook
Samuel Tilden Brotemarkle
SAMUEL TILDEN BROTEMARKLE was born November 8, 1876, on Big Knob, a spur of Irons Mountain, six miles east of Cumberland, Allegany County, Maryland. He was the third son of Michael Brotemarkle, Jr. and Louisa Ann (Simons) Brotemarkle, both descended from the pioneer stock of Allegany County, who like their forebears were plain farmer folk. Fifteen children, ten stalwart sons and five robust daughters, were born to this marriage, and grew up to strong and useful manhood and womanhood, helping father and mother on the farm. A very great deal of the hardest kind of farm work and a very little bit of schooling in the nearest country public school, prepared them for taking up and playing well their respective parts in their community, day and generation. Their industry, character, and thrift express the best citizenship the county and town of their nativity. Here follow their names: William Calvin; Elizabeth; Samuel Tilden, subject of this biography; Charles Millard, who died at the age of 27 years on the home farm; Edith Viola, wife of Ernest McKenzie, of Cumberland; ClaraBelle, wife of Urner Van Meter, merchant at Cresaptown, Maryland; Odith McClure; Clarence Wilbur; Alva Erlington; Frederick Roland; Beulah Mary, wife of Henry Logsdon, railroader; Bertha Lee, wife of Wood A. Evans, Electrician, of Cumberland, recently deceased, leaving one son, Chester; Henry McGill; Nora Pearl, at home with her mother, and Earl Monroe.
Who can tell the story of Michael Brotemarkle, Junior, six feet, two inches in his stockings, tanned, bearded, sunburnt, with the blood showing like scarlet in his cheeks, and his stalwart body straight, long after after he had passed the allotted three score and ten years, of the man who came into life strong? He drank water only, he lived on the plainest fare, he worked hard on his farm, or in the mountains teaming and timbering, every working day of his long life, irrespective of season, wind or weather. He was sick once in his lifetime, took to his bed and died.
Who shall sum up his contribution to his day and generation, this German-English descended farm boy, born of parents born within the Bedford Road suburbs of Cumberland, grew up to manhood, married, grubbed, chopped, plowed, sweated, sowed, reaped, threshed, tamed it, roughed it early and late,unwhiningly and uncomplaining, in every kind of wind, sun, and weather, early and late, the year round nearly all of his life, as hired man and tenant farmer, to feed, clothe, and properly bring up the big brood of like sons and motherlike daughters to proper useful manhood and womanhood. All of this was done within sight of the place where he was born, and where his father, Michael, Senior was born before him. He was mighty and rugged of build, was the elder Michael, and he was the faithful prototype of his father, Christopher Brotemarkle, German immigrant and progenitor of this race of physically mighty men and strong, true women, whose blood and brawn expressed in the best manhood and womanhood of the community of their nativity.
And who would attempt, to tell the story of the life of Louisa Ann (Simons) Brotemarkle, still robust, sturdy, strong, working hard every day on her farm, the Barney Kilcoln farm, overlooking Evitts Creek, near its mouth, the modest home that she and her hardworking husband, Michael Brotemarkle, II, only succeeded in acquiring and owning free of debt after a lifetime's struggle of more than three score and ten years.
Here she sits on her porch, looking to the South, when her allotted day's work is done, she is in full sight of the place where she was born and grew to womanhood, was courted, won, and married by Michael, and where she spent all of her hardworking, happy years. Big Knob and the Reed Farm are both in full view, where she raised to manhood and womanhood her fifteen children. Had she been a Roman matron, she too like the mother of the Grachhi had been singled out as the mother who had given most to her country in her day and generation:
"Strength and dignity are her clothing:
and she laugheth at the time to come.
She openeth her mouth with wisdom:
and the law of kindness is on her tongue.
She looketh well to the ways of her household,
her children rise up and call her blessed:
Her husband also, and he praiseth her:
Many daughters have done virtuously.
But thou excelleth them all.
Favour is deceitful, and beauty is vain;
But a woman that feareth the Lord, she shall be praised.
Give her the fruits of her hands;
And let her works praise her in the gates."
Christopher Brotemarkle, the progenitor of this remarkable family of huge men and big women, came from Germany. He was a well-to-do immigrant, for we find him within a short time buying two large tracts of land from Thomas Beall of Samuel, lying near the Bedford Road, four miles east of Cumberland, and paying one hundred fifty pounds sterling cash for each tract. The records do not disclose his wifes name. She might have immigrated from Germany with him. They had four children whose names were: Michael, grandfather of our Samuel Tilden; Henry, who was a great landowner and farmer on Little Valley road, four miles east of Cumberland; John, who moved to Missouri; Barbara, wife of ______ Daylong of Flintstone.
After his fathers death, Michael purchased the home place and resided there all his long life. He was of extraordinary stature and strength, and as rugged as he was big. He was locally famous in his day as a wagoner on the National Pike. The saying went that Big Mike Brotemarkle had the best team and was the best man that wagoned on the pike in his day. And his sons, Michael and Upton, inherited their fathers pride in good horseflesh, and always had the finest and best groomed teams on the road,___like father like sons. He married Susannah Rice, and nine children were born to them, as follows: James Henry, who went west; Lavinia, who first married William Brant, and after his death married Joseph Leasure; John, long deceased, was a farmer; Upton, retired farmer living in Cumberland; Sarah, wife of John H. Valentine; Mary, wife of George Hardinger; Ellen, wife of Hilary Brant; Michael, father of Samuel Tilden, who during his fathers lifetime was known as "Little Mike Brotemarkle;" Susannah, wife of William McFarland.
Returning to the story of Tilden Brotemarkle, as he is known to the community, we find him first going to school, and next to the brick school house, or Wentling school, the family having moved from Big Knob to the Doctor Reed farm on Evitts Creek. Here he and his brothers and sisters attended school together and finished their school education. Tilden stopped school in his fifteenth year, because he was then big and strong enough to make a full hand on the farm and in the woods, getting out timber during the winter. This was the rule that went in his family. He remained on the farm with his father until his marriage in his 24th year.
He married Theresa Ellen Rice, daughter of Malachi Rice and Catherine Lydia (Flury) Rice , of Cumberland. He farmed three years after his marriage for himself. Then he took up modern road making work, in which he has continued ever since. His first road-work experience was as a steam-roller engineer. He takes pleasure out of the fact that he rolled the first piece of macadam road constructed in Allegany County, under the Shoemaker Road Law, and the further fact that he did a good job. He continued as a roller engineer for five years, during which time he concentrated upon acquiring all the knowledge he could about modern methods of road building. He then became Superintendent of Construction under State Road Commissioner Clinton Uhl, of whose methods of road building he was a close and enthusiastic student. At the end of three years he took up contracting for himself, in which he has attained a large measure of success, due to the fact that he knows the business out of long experience in it.
Two sons, with seven years intervening between their births, were born to his marriage, Charles Arthur, the eldest grown to manhood, is engaged along with his father in contracting work, and Paul Clinton, is a public school boy.
Mr. Brotemarkle and his wife are members and regular attendants of St. Pauls English Lutheran Church. They live in their comfortable and commodious home at Mapleside, within sight of where he was born and grew up at hard work.
Samuel Tilden Brotemarkle has always been a staunch and active Democrat, and a leader in the South End of Cumberland, in his party. He is widely known throughout the county because of his occupation, and is deservedly popular. He has steadily refused standing for office, but he has always been a hustling, enthusiastic party worker. He is very proud of his home, where he can always be found when not at work or forced out of necessity to be elsewhere.
Col. Robert Bruce
COLONEL ROBERT BRUCE was the son of Upton Bruce, who came to Cumberland in 1789. Mr. Upton Bruce was born in that part of Frederick county Maryland, at Bruceville, now within the limits of Carroll county. He was the son of Norman Bruce, who came to Maryland in 1748, and located in Saint Mary's county. He was the high sheriff of Saint Mary's county from 1761 to 1764, and of Frederick county from 1768 to 1771.
The Bruce family was of Scotch descent, and the tradition of the family is that Norman Bruce was a descendant of Robert, Earl of Garrick, King of Scotland.
He married in December, 1761, Susannah Gardiner Key, the daughter of Philip Key, a brilliant lawyer and statesman, and a member of the Council of Maryland. Mrs. Bruce was the aunt of Francis Scott Key, author of the Star Spangled Banner, and of the wife of Roger Brooke Taney, Chief Justice of the Supreme Court of the United States. The Honorable Philip Key, her father, while always a resident of Saint Mary's county, Maryland, was a man of large affairs and one of the most extensive land owners in Maryland. Besides immense holdings in, Saint Mary's county, be owned over five thousand acres of land in Frederick county, now the fertile Middleburg district of Carroll county, and this was the occasion of his daughter and her husband locating in that part of the State. Among their children was Elizabeth Key Bruce, who married John Scott, a distinguished man of his time, and was the mother of Dr. Norman Bruce Scott, an eminent physician of his day, and the ancestor of that branch of the Scott family now of Frederick and Washington counties. Their two sons, Norman [should be Upton] Bruce and Andrew Bruce located in Allegany, about the time that it was erected into a county.
Norman [should be Upton] Bruce, the father of the subject of this sketch, represented Allegany county in the Legislature of Maryland in 1804 and for the three succeeding terms; he was judge of the Orphan's Court from 1810 to 1812, and State Senator from Allegany county from 1812 to 1815. He was also the first president of the Bank of Allegany, now the First National Bank of Cumberland. He built, in 1810, the commodious brick building situated on Chase street, and which for many years past has been known as the home of the family of the late Dr. James M. Smith.
Colonel Robert Bruce was educated at the Allegany County Academy, and was considered one of the most skillful accountants of his time, attested by a long experience in the Bank of Allegany. He was a member of the Legislature of Maryland in 1836, and was a candidate for State Comptroller in 1867. He was very active in recruiting the Second Maryland Regiment, Potomac Home Brigade, of which he was the colonel, and in which he served with zeal and ardor to the end of the Civil War. He was elected Judge of the Orphan's Court of Allegany county in 1874, and served for sixteen consecutive years, when a most creditable judicial, career ended by his death. He married Miss Hodges, with whom he lived with unusual felicity for the long period of fifty-six years. They left four children, Robert Jr., and three daughters, one the wife of General B. F. Kelly; one the wife of Mr. D. James Blackiston, and one the wife of Colonel James C. Lynn.
Colonel Bruce had two sisters; Kate, wife of the Honorable Price, the distinguished lawyer, and Marion, wife of General Walter Guynn. He also had brothers, Norman, Henry, Dr. Charles Key and Upton Bruce, all of whom were distinguished in the civil life of Allegany county.
Andrew Bruce, who came to Allegany with his brother Upton, about the time of the organization of the county, was one of the associate judges of the first County Court held in Allegany in 1791, and served in that capacity for six years. He was judge of the Orphans Court from 1803 to 1810, dying in 1814. He was the. father of William Bruce, who married Phoebe Cresap, the parents of the late Colonel Daniel Cresap Bruce, for many years the efficient U. S. Internal-Revenue Collector for the Cumberland District. Andrew Bruce was also the father of George Bruce, Register of Wills of Allegany County from 1805 to 1818; Sheriff 1819, and member of the Legislature in 1823. He married Rachael Tomlinson, and they were the parents of Mrs. Elizabeth Bruce Dickinson, and of the late Dr. John Jesse Bruce, a highly educated man, a graduate with high honors of Washington College, Pennsylvania, with James G. Blaine as one of his classmates. He was an eminent citizen and a man of unusual force and culture.
James O. Bullock, MD
JAMES 0. BULLOCK, M. D., has been .so long identified with the everyday life and important affairs of Lonaconing that his fellow citizen, may be forgiven if they sometimes forget that he came here a man of experience, with an honorable professional record elsewhere behind him. For thirty-six busy years he has been an important figure at Lonaconing, an able physician and surgeon, a faithful and conscientious practitioner and a citizen of broad vision who has taken deep interest in the progress and development of the city.
Dr. Bullock was born in Bradford county, Pennsylvania, in January, 1842, and is definitely American, coming of New England ancestry and Revolutionary stock, substantial and solid through generations. His parents were James and Harriet (Robbins) Bullock, both of whom died in Pennsylvania. James Bullock was born in Massachusetts, a son of Asa and Jerusha (Allen) Bullock, the former of whom belonged to the old Bullock family of Massachusetts and the latter born in Vermont. The grandmother of Dr. Bullock was a cousin of Ethan Allen, the Revolutionary hero, who, as colonel of the "Green Mountain Boys" in the War of Independence, led his force and captured Fort Ticonderoga. James Bullock settled in Pennsylvania in early manhood and spent his life there as a farmer and carpenter. He was twice married.
James 0. Bullock was reared in a comfortable home and afforded educational advantages. Of a naturally studious disposition, he made good use of his opportunities, and was yet a youth when he had completed his studies in the Bradford schools and was prepared to pursue a higher course. He then entered Brown University, at Providence, Rhode Island, from which institution he was graduated with a degree of A. B. in 187O. His choice of career being medicine, he entered the medical department of the city of New York, from which he was graduated in 1872.
Dr. Bullock returned then to Pennsylvania and entered into medical practice at McIntyre, in Indiana county, two years later removing to Canton, and after four years there sought a wider field at Clearfield in Center county, in which city he met with much professional success and remained there until 1885, when he came to the beautiful town of Lonaconing. Dr. Bullock enjoys the distinction of being the oldest practicing physician in Allegany county, and professionally and otherwise, no medical man is better known or more beloved throughout the entire George's Creek region. The call for help has always to him, been the, call of duty, and in many a household his name is cherished, not only for doing in times of sickness and distress all that a physician could do, but for the understanding sympathy and practical help entirely outside the province of the doctor.
In 1885 Dr. Bullock was married to Alice Carpenter, who was born at Ralston, Lycoming county, Pennsylvania, daughter of William G. and Permelia (Alden) Carpenter. The mother of Mrs. Bullock was a descendent in the eighth generation from John and Priscilla Alden whose story is an American epic that belongs to colonial New England settlement. Dr. and Mrs. Bullock have two children: Robin Alden, who is an electrical engineer, located at Park Ridge, New Jersey, where he is married and has one daughter, Alice Louisa; and Julius Carpenter, who is a druggist in business at Plainville, Illinois.
Dr. Bullock is a valued member of the Allegany County. Medical Society, the George's Creek Medical Society and the Medico-Chirurgical Faculty of Maryland. For twenty years he served as health officer of Lonaconing, and unofficially has been a valued advisor concerning sanitary measures. Dr. Bullock has been a member of his noble profession because of his love for the interest in it, and not for its emoluments, which in his case have been moderate, but he has secured a competency and owns some valuable real estate. He was one of the organizers and is a director of the Lonaconing Savings Bank, and has encouraged other worthy enterprises. He has always been a zealous Republican in his political attitude.
John J. Byrnes
[Transcribed by Joseph Wright from pp.
769 and 770, History of Allegany County, Maryland …
Volume II. 1923 L.R. Titsworth & Company.]
John J. Byrnes, late of Eckhart Mines, Allegany county, Maryland, was at the
time of his death the oldest merchant at that place and one of the oldest in the
Georges Creek region. A self-made man, one who had attained substantial position
by his own efforts, he was thoroughly respected for his sterling qualities and
for the progress he had made by well directed exertions, and held the confidence
and esteem of all his fellow citizens—among whom practically all of his life had
Mr. Byrnes was born October 28, 1845, in Cumberland, Maryland, son of Bernard and Annie (Camerford) Byrnes, both of whom are now deceased. They had come to America from Ireland in the year 1840, making a location at Cumberland. Of their four children, john J. was the eldest; Lawrence is deceased; Margaret is the wife of Patrick Hoye, of Eckhart Mines; Elizabeth is deceased.
John J. Byrne[s] was very young when his father died, and consequently he had few educational advantages, commencing work in the mines at Eckhart when but nine years old. He followed that kind of occupation for the next fourteen years, at the end of that period going to Mount Savage, Allegany county, to learn the trade of machinist. Conditions due to Civil War, however, made it necessary to close the shops before completion of his apprenticeship, and he turned to railroad work, taking a position as fireman on the Eckhart branch of the Cumberland & Pennsylvania Railroad, later becoming an engineer. After fourteen years at railroad work, he gave it up inn 1882 to embark in the mercantile business on his own account, opening the store at Eckhart Mines, which he conducted during the remainder of his life—for over thirty-five year[s]. His death occurred May 14, 1917. Mr. Byrnes started business on a very small scale, having little capital to operate with, but he used his means and credit wisely as trade expanded, and his list of grew, until he had a well stocked store, carrying a good line of dry goods, groceries, and hardware especially. It has been a popular trading center for the territory of Eckhart Mines for many years, and his sons, who became associated with their father some years ago, are now continuing the business along the lines which he found best for success. They could do no better than adhere to the policy of honorable dealing and accommodating service which he followed. He was a member of St. Michael’s Catholic Church at Frostburg and a Democrat in his political views.
On June 21, 1886, Mr. Byrnes was married to Miss Elizabeth Sullivan, of Eckhart, Maryland, daughter of Michael Sullivan, and ten children were born to this union; Bernard J., who married Miss Loretta Maher, and have one son, John J.; Eleanor, engaged as a bookkeeper by the Imperial Company of Cumberland; Anna A., wife of Joseph Brown, of Frostburg; Michael J., married Catherine C. McGuire and have a son, Michael; Gregory P.; Margaret Mary; John J. Jr.; Leo S., and William B.
Bernard J., Michael J., and Gregory P. have all been assisting their father in the general store, as partners in the business. Bernard J. and Michael J. Byrnes are Democrats and active workers in the local ranks of the party. They are members of St. Michael’s Catholic Church at Frostburg and of the Knights of Columbus, Bernard J. Byrnes being particularly prominent in the local lodge of that fraternity. The business is still conducted under the name of J.J. Byrnes.