Thomas Streets Tavern
(aka Willison Stone House)
[Photos of the stone house contributed by Kay Walters a descendent of Norval Willison]
"Two miles west of Flintstone, Martin's Mountain is encountered, at the foot of which, on the east, Thomas Streets presided over an old tavern, and welcomed and cared for many a guest."
[from The Old Pike by Thomas B. Searight, 1894, p 203]
The photograph above was taken around 1930, when Hilary Willison occupied the stone house.
Picture of Hilary Willison with wife, Elmira Hendrickson and daughter (possibly Clara).
Contributed by Terri Heslin, descendant from Clara.
In his booklet, "Pioneers Settlers of Flintstone"
published by Al Feldstein in 1986, Hilary writes:
"It seemed to be the fate of most of the old tavern stands along the Baltimore Pike to be destroyed by fire. Of the twelve or fifteen old taverns between Cumberland and Sidling Hill, there only remains two or three, viz: Plummer's six mile house, the Street's Stone House and a part of the old Robosson House at Flintstone still stands. (Thomas Robosson was murdered here.)
What is now known as the "Springs Hotel" was built by David S. John for a dwelling house, but was afterwards enlarged and kept by Jonathan Huddleson and others as a stage house."
Streets, Robosson and Huddleson are all mentioned by Searight in The Old Pike in the part about houses, taverns and wagon stands between Sidling Hill and Cumberland. He does mention a Thomas Plumer who kept a wagon stand in Cumberland. He was a wagoneer from Allegany County and continued to have teams on the road after setting up his stand. Huddleson's establishment was also in Flintstone.
The photos below (contributed
by Kay Walters) depict the gradual
collapse of the stone house
which was said to be located at the intersection of Street Road and East Wilson Road.