By Joseph R. Adams, editor Kendall County News,
May 28, 1896
Edited and compiled by Elmer Dickson
Soon after we leave Lisbon, across the fields is observed the spire of a church. It is the property of the Norwegian Lutherans. The pastor to this people is Reverend Peter A. Rasmussen, one of the oldest and best-known preachers of the denomination in the United States. Mr. Rasmussen is highly popular with his congregation, which in numbers exceeds any other one society in Kendall County.
Following the boundaries of fine farms, up hill and down, we enter old Georgetown, now Newark, just as the sun seeks repose in the hills beyond Millington.
Newark was a frontier trading post and as a trading post has ever held that position. We ask Mr. Thuneman, one of the old residents, how Newark succeeded in holding its own, being situated off the railroad. "Easy enough," he replied. "All roads, like ancient Rome, lead to Newark. In order to reach any other point, Newark must first be passed. In that way we get a bit of the spoils both coming and going, and our neighbors are not in it." The merchants carry good stocks, and they are an obliging class.
It was night when we left the place for our drive home. The day had been too short. Yet we figured it had been a day profitably spent, among a class of people thrifty and hospitable.
Return to Newark Index
Return to Town Sketches
Return to Table of Contents