|HOME||By Darrel Dexter|
The Pulaski Enterprise was published in Mound City as a weekly. The first extant issue is 20 Jan 1905. The banner read “Devoted to the Interest of the People of Pulaski County.” James F. Connell, former editor of the Egyptian Press at Marion, was publisher and editor for near ten years, until December 1903. The name of the newspaper was changed to The Pulaski Enterprise under Connell about 1902, after the Pulaski Patriot, a Republican newspaper, consolidated with the Mound City Democrat and then became independent politically. In June 1904, John F. Rector, Jr., became editor and a new power press, hob presses, type, and other equipment was installed at a cost of $5,000. Capt. Henry C. Ashbaugh was editor and manager from July 1905 until he retired in October 1909, after having a nervous breakdown. His son Will H. Ashbaugh succeeded him. The control and management of the Enterprise passed to Roy N. Adams with the 5 Nov 1909, issue, but he resigned in April 1911 to devote his entire time to the office of Pulaski County clerk. Will H. Ashbaugh, the former editor, assumed full control and management of Pulaski Enterprise in April 1911. In November 1920, R. R. Kimbro replaced W. H. Ashbaugh as editor and manager and began publishing the newspaper on Thursdays. By October 1921, Kimbro had left and was publishing a newspaper called the Hardin County Independent at Elizabethtown. Fred Hood and Lawrence B. Livesay became the new editor and business manager. Hood and Waite were publishers, Gale Roberson was managing editor, Fred Hood was contributing editor and Frank Lyerly was business manager in 1924. The masthead read, “A Weekly Newspaper Dedicated to the People, Perspiration, Prosperity and Pulaski County.” Judge Fred Hood sold his interest in the Enterprise to H. L. Settlemoir in March 1925. The newspaper merged with the Independent in 1957 and became the Pulaski County Enterprise-Independent.
The Ullin Times was a politically independent weekly published on Fridays in Ullin, beginning in July 1914. W. B. Roberts was the editor and publisher in 1916. Arvle Sowers was editor and publisher by August 1919. None of the issues are microfilmed, but a small collection of sixteen issues from 1916 to 1921 is owned by Paul Echols, formerly of Ullin. Transcriptions included here were made from that collection.
The Mounds News was published in Mounds beginning in 1919. W. G. Evans was editor and manager and Miss Elsie Harding was city editor. Its parent newspaper, name unknown, was started in 1886, as the first volume in 1919 was volume 33 in the “old series.” It became the News-Press in 1956 and merged with the Pulaski Enterprise-Independent in 1957. It was published again as the News-Press from February 1958 to January 1960, but merged with the Pulaski Enterprise in February 1960.
was published in Mounds and the first extant issue is 11 Dec 1924, when Toler
and Anderson were publishers.
Bernice Anderson was editor and advertising manager, W. L. Toler
was contributing editor and business manager, and Mrs. W. L. Toler was
city editor. The last issue was 3 Jan
1957, after which it merged with the