Search billions of records on

 Obituaries and Death Notices
in Pulaski County, Illinois Newspapers

The Ullin Times

1916 - 1921

Ullin, Pulaski County, Illinois

Transcribed and annotated by Darrel Dexter


The Ullin Times, Friday, 24 Mar 1916:

Mrs. B. F. Gillet attended the funeral of her uncle at Elco last week.  (Perks) 


The Ullin Times, Friday, 18 Oct 1918:

Mrs. Neal Egner received a telephone message from Mound City saying that Mrs. Gus Corzine had died at 11 o’clock with influenza and would be buried at the Mounds cemetery Thursday afternoon (Friendship)


Thursday night Mrs. James Billingsley got an official message from Washington stating that her son, Roy West, who has been in France for several months, has been missing in action since Sept. 12th.  Our hearts go out in sympathy to this mother and the members of this boy’s family at this time, but we hope that soon another message will come to bring good news. (Friendship)



             Ralph Frederick Vick, son of George C. and the late Sarah C. Vick, was born in Ullin, Aug. 4, 1892, and died at Camp Custer, Mich., Oct. 10, 1918.  He was educated in the Ullin schools.

             He enlisted in the U. S. Army May 2, 1918, and was made corporal Sept. 15, 1918.

He leaves to mourn their loss, his father, Mr. George C. Vick, one brother, Mr. E. A. Vick, four sisters, Mrs. Frank Gandy, Mrs. C. J. Shipley, Kelso, Wash., Mrs. O. J. Serbian, Cairo, and Mrs. Owen Albright, Centralia.  All being here for the funeral except Mrs. Shipley.

Funeral services were conducted at the M. E. church Sunday by Rev. C. R. Dunlap, of Cairo, with interment in the Ullin Cemetery.

(George C. Vick married Sarah C. Newcome on 26 Mar 1882, in Pulaski Co., Ill.  His marker in Ullin Cemetery reads:  Corp. Ralph F. Vick 1892-1918.—Darrel Dexter)


Card of Thanks

             We desire to return our sincere appreciation to the many kind neighbors and friends who assisted us during the burial of our son and brother, Ralph Vick, also for the beautiful floral offerings.

Mr. George C. Vick and family


Mr. O. J. Serbian, Mrs. Henry Serbian, Miss Augusta Serbian, Mr. Harry Davidson, Adam and Hugh Murphy, of Cairo, were here Sunday to attend the funeral of Ralph Vick. 


The Ullin Times, Friday, 29 Nov 1918:

We were sorry to hear of the death of Mrs. Kraatz, who died at her home Sunday morning.  (New Hope)



             Mrs. Rudolph Kraatz died suddenly Sunday morning of rheumatism of the heart.  She had not been ill for several months and got up Sunday morning, seemingly well and happy.  She had gone into her kitchen and was preparing to assist in getting breakfast in her usual good humor, when she called to the girl who was helping her to come hold her head, she felt weak.  The girl could not hold her weight and she went to the floor before Mr. Kraatz and her son could reach her.  She was gone a few minutes after they got her on her bed and never spoke again.  She had been ill with this trouble at intervals every few months for the last few years, but she had been so well for some time and in such good spirits her family and her intimate friends felt that she might be entirely well.

             Her death came as a terrible shock to her family, relatives and friends.  Her daughter, Miss Emma Kraatz, was called home from Carbondale, where she was attending school.

             Mrs. Kraatz was one of our school directors and was beloved by every boy and girl who knew her as well as by her grown up friends.

             She was an ideal mother a devoted wife, a helpful neighbor and good citizen.  Always doing for the needy, leading or helping to lead the community in doing things for the welfare of humanity.  The soldier can always remember her as a true friend.

             Mere words cannot express our sorrow in our great loss, nor can they tell this bereaved and broken family how we sympathize with them.  This mother’s beautiful life was an example God has given us and he does well who profits by it.

             Tryphosia Worthington, daughter of the late John T. and Matilda Worthington, was born at Caledonia, Illinois, November 6, 1860.  Died November 24, 1918.  She was married to George Mowery, May 20, 1885.  To this union were born three children, all of whom preceded her.  Mr. Mowery died October 29, 1891.

             She was united in marriage to Rudolph R. Kraatz, October 29, 1893, at Olmsted, Illinois, where they lived for about two years, after which they moved to their present home.

             To the second marriage were born four children, Herman, the oldest, died June 22, 1917.  Emma, Roy and Carl Kraatz, with her husband, survive her.

             She was a devoted Christian since girlhood.  She united with the M. E. church at Center and later transferred her membership to New Hope.

             Those who are left to mourn her departure are her devoted husband, her children, Emma, Roy and Carl Kraatz, her sister, Mrs. Robert G. Crecelius, of Olmsted, Ill., a brother, John A. Worthington, of Anna, her stepson, William Mowery, of Wetaug, Ill., other relatives and hundreds of friends.

             Funeral services were conducted by Rev. Albrecht who was assisted by Rev. A. E. Bunton, at the M. E. Church at New Hope.  Interment was made in the church cemetery.  The pallbearers were Charles Abbott, Joe Baumgart, Joe Sichling, Neal Egner, Robert Reichert, and Mr. Albright.  The flowers were many and beautiful.


Ray Rhymer Killed

Answering the call of duty, as we have always known him to do, Ray O. Rhymer, son of Mr. and Mrs. W. J. Rhymer, made the supreme sacrifice when he gave his life in the cause of freedom from wounds received on the battlefield of France on October 26th.

News of his death was received here on last Sunday by a telegram from the U. S. War Department to his parents.  It came as a bolt of lightning out of a blue sky and left sorrow, depthless, not only to his parents, but to the entire community, for Ray was, indeed, a likeable fellow, loved and respected by all who knew him.

When the call came for him to answer the summons of the Nation, he went willingly and with the feeling that he was doing but his duty.  Soon after entering the training camp, he was sent overseas for training, and shortly after his entering the first line trenches, he met his death.

He was well and favorably known not only in Ullin, but in Cairo, where prior to the call to arms he held the position of bookkeeper with the Singer Manufacturing Company.  For several months he was superintendent of the Methodist Sunday school and he has left a vacancy in that body which can never be filled to the satisfaction of those who knew him best.  He was also a prominent influential member of Cairo Lodge, A. F. & A. M.

This is the first death in action from the ranks of Ullin’s men in the U. S. service and being as he was one of Ullin’s favorite sons, a patriot of the “old school” he has left a bright spot in the memory of the citizens of Pulaski County which shall remain undimmed as the years go by an time ceases to be no more.


We were sorry to hear that Ralph Freize has been killed in France.  He was a Dongola boy until a few years ago, when he moved with his parents to St. Louis.  (Dongola)


We were grieved to hear of the sad news of the death of Mrs. R. R. Kraatz, Sunday morning.  The bereaved ones have the sympathy of the entire neighborhood (Butter Ridge). 


The Ullin Times, Friday, 14 Mar 1919:

Rhymer Was Killed at Grand Pre

The following letter concerning the death of their son was received and it is a fine tribute to a brave young American who gave his life to a sacred cause:

Chassey, France, Jan.19, 1919

My Dear Mr. and Mrs. Rhymer,

             I am just in receipt of your letter seeking more information with reference to the death of your son, and I am happy if I can alleviate your grief by telling what I know.

             Your son was killed in action at Grand Pre in one of the most severe fights our company was engaged in.  At that very time three officers were severely wounded and the first platoon, in which your son was, was almost completely wiped out.  Your son was killed instantly by machine gun fire and he was operating a machine gun at the time.  He received a good burial at which an army chaplain officiated and you may find his resting place, along with that of many of his comrades on the hill just north of the city of Grand Pre and south of Bois de Burgoyne.

             I personally removed his personal belongings, including the watch and ring of which you speak, carefully wrapped them up and turned them over to Lt. Bolbach—burial officer for this battalion, who in turn delivered them to some quartermaster officer to be sent to Washington, D.C., from where they will eventually be sent to you.  It is obviously a slow process but one necessitated by the circumstances and I can assure you that some time these articles will reach you.

             Again I wish to tell you in what high esteem I held your son.  Not only was he an efficient non-commissioned officer, full of zeal, enthusiasm, and fight, but he was one of the most lovable men I have ever known. We all liked him, men and officers, and it hurt us a very great deal to know that he had to go.  He died as I know he would have wished, in the very front line in a forward engagement.

I hope that some day I shall be able to meet you and tell you more.  If there are any questions that I can answer, I wish you would please ask them

Yours very truly,


1st Lieut. Inf.



             Died at the home of her grandparents, Mr. and Mrs. W. A. Atherton, in Ullin, Mary Anna, only child of Mr. and Mrs. Garrett Britt.  Born Aug. 5, 1918, at Pulaski, Ill., departed this life Feb. 14, 1919, age 6 months and 9 days.  Interment was made in the Rose Hill Cemetery at Pulaski, Sunday afternoon.

             (Her marker in Rose Hill Cemetery reads:  Mary Anna Dau. of G. H. & M. A. Britt 1915-1919.—Darrel Dexter)



             We wish to thank the friends who so kindly assisted us during the illness and death of our little daughter, Mary Anna.


Miss Rada Dunn, who was called home on account of the death of her brother, will not return to her school until next week.  (Center)


The Ullin Times, Friday, 22 Aug 1919:


             Mr. George C. Vick died at the home of his daughter, Mr. O. J. Serbian, in Cairo, Ill., Friday, Aug. 15, 1919, was born Jan. 26, 1856, near Mill Creek; aged 63 years, 6 months and 19 days at the time of his death.

             The deceased was married to Miss Sarah C. Newcomb March 26, 1882, who preceded him in death about twelve years ago.  To this union were born seven children; one departed this life in infancy in 1897, and Ralph F. October 10, 1918, at Camp Custer, Mich.

             Mr. Vick was in active business for about sixteen years as manager of the James Bell Mercantile Co., of this city, was elected city clerk in 1902 and was a member of the Ullin Precinct School Board for several years, in which office he gained many friends.

             Mr. Vick leaves to mourn his death, one sister, Mrs. Thomas Scanlin, of Ullin; four daughters, Mrs. Claud B. Shipley, of Kelso, Wash., Mrs. O. J. Serbian, of Cairo, Mrs. Frank Gandy, and Mrs. Owen Albright, of this place; and one son, Mr. Ed Vick, also of Ullin.

             (Markers in Ullin Cemetery read:  George C. Vick 1856-1919.  Sarah C. wife of George C. Vick Died Oct. 26, 1907 Aged 51 Ys., 11 Ms., & 26 Ds.—Darrel Dexter)


Card of Thanks

             We desire to thank our friends for their many acts of kindness, flowers, use of automobiles and words of sympathy, which have comforted us in our bereavement, the death of our father, George C. Vick.

The Family


Several from here (Dexter) attended the funeral of Mr. George C. Vick at Ullin, Sunday.


Little Warren Gore Arnold, of Chicago, died at the home of his grandfather, Lewis Gore, Monday, Aug. 18.  He was four years old in October.  This is twice the death angel has visited this home lately, as Mrs. Arnold’s mother departed this life only eight days before.  This makes the hour more dark for the bereaved patents of little Warren.  He leaves a baby brother, Edward Allen.  They departed Tuesday or Chicago for interment in Oak Cemetery.  We extend our sympathy to the parents in their bereavement.  “God loves the pure and holy.  He gave—He took—He will restore.—He doeth all things well.  (Bryan)

             (Lewis Gore married Hulda Waters on 23 Sep 1873, in Pulaski Co., Ill.—Darrel Dexter)


Monday, about noon, Arch Lingle was driving in town and his horse became frightened, wheeled around, throwing Mr. Lingle out of the buggy.  He died Tuesday night.  (Dongola)


Miss Grace Cherry is dead.  She departed this life Sunday about noon. Interment was made at the West Side Cemetery Tuesday afternoon.  Rev. O. T. Banks of Cairo officiating. (West Side)


 The Ullin Times, Friday, 13 Feb 1920:

Word has been received of the death of Anderson Durham, Jr.  He died a few months ago. His wife died about a year ago. (Lime Kiln)


The infant son of Mr. and Mrs. William Crite is very ill at this writing.


The infant of Mr. Lackey was laid to rest in the Mt. Pisgah Cemetery Friday.  (Perks)


 The Ullin Times, Friday, 14 May 1920:

Miss Grace Zella Evans departed this life Saturday morning, May 9, about 7 o’clock, suffering a dreaded malady for more than ten months.  Was born to Mr. and Mrs. Thomas Evans, Feb. 18, 1904, being 16 years, 2 months and 29 days of age.  She professed a hope in the blessed Christ at the age of 13.  I school, she was jovial, but kind and was loved by teacher and pupils.  She leaves to mourn their loss, father, mother, sister, grandmother, two aunts, a nephew and niece.  Warren and Edith Henderson, cousins and a host of friends.

             Having lingered for more than ten months, took very ill Monday, Mary 3rd, and desired very much to see all the folks.  Her friends and relations came.  Shaking hands with them, she told them as she had previously told her father, that she was going to leave them and asked them to meet her in Heaven.  Papa tried to impress her that she would soon be better and on the road to final recovery.  Her answer so, I may get better this time, but must leave you.  When the Lord calls, I am ready for I am going to Heaven  The friends having gone one into another room, she called Papa to her bed and asked him to have the people return to her room, for she wasn’t satisfied.  When all had re-entered, she exclaimed, “All who mean to meet me in heaven show it by the uplifted hand.”  She seemed pacified.  In her next conversion she said that all the people had been kind and had done much for her.  “Oh, how I love them.”  She also mentioned Mesdames Rogers, Lottie Henderson and Opal Johnson as her stand Byers (sacred friends) and was so thankful.  When dying, she called Mama and Papa and said, “I am so sleepy, I can’t hardly keep my eyes open.”  Shortly she called Papa again, but was too weak to finisher thoughts.  Then the end came.

             Gone but not lost.  Let us strive to meet her.  Prepare to stand the test. On the day of consummation, in Heavens of rest.

             The memorial services Monday was one to be remembered.  Rev. Britt, of Cairo, officiated.  The testimony left by the deceased was one of momentary interest.  The parents of this dear girl should feel proud that they have a hand in framing her spiritual life.  HHer testament should be instantly on the lips of each boy and girl with whom he had so pleasurefully associated.

Our folks are grateful to the undertaker for his courteous service.o:p>

             (Her marker in Ullin Cemetery reads:  Grace Daughter of T. & F. Evans Born Feb. 18, 1904 Died May 8, 1920.  Gone but not forgotten.—Darrel Dexter)


The Ullin Times, Friday, 28 May 1920:


             Mrs. Eliza (Potter) Wright was born near Caledonia, Pulaski County, Ill., Oct. 7, 1861, and departed this life May 14, 1920.  She was married to F. F. Wright, June 25, 1885.  She was the mother of eight children, two sons and six daughters, three daughters having preceded her.  Mrs. Wright was converted in 1902.  SShe died suddenly at Illmo, Mo., where she was visiting her daughter, Mrs. Della Tucker.  The body was brought to Hiram Wright’s home and the funeral services were conducted at Mt. Zion Church Wednesday at 3:00 p.m. by Rev. S. Albrecht, of Ullin.  Her body was laid to rest in the cemetery at that place.  She leaves to mourn her departure her children, Mr. William Potter, Mrs. Della Tucker, Mrs. Flora Herrin, Mr. Pete Wright and Miss Leola Wright, and other relatives and friends.

             (F. F. Wright married Louisa Potter on 25 Jun 1885, in Pulaski Co., Ill.—Darrel Dexter)


The Ullin Times, Friday, 16 Jul 1920:


&             The remains of Duard Britt, son of Mr. and Mrs. Rufus Britt, were laid to rest in Cache Chapel Cemetery Sunday afternoon, July 11th.

             The funeral services were conducted by Rev. Hallam in the church yard, the house not being large enough to accommodate he crowd of relatives and friends who came to pay their last respects to the dead boy.  The floral tributes were beautiful and many.

             Duard came to his untimely death through the kick of a mule.

             The accident occurred four weeks previous to his death.  He was injured internally and his sufferings were intense, but his patience and his resignation to the Lord’s will was a beautiful and wonderful lesson to all who were with him.

He was a beloved member of the Cache Chapel Sunday School and accepted the Lord as his Savior while on his bed of affliction.o:p>

             We extend our deepest sympathy to his parents, his brothers and sister and other loved ones and we want to say that we shall surely miss him.

             ((His marker in Cache Chapel Cemetery near Ullin reads:  Deward Britt Born Aug. 4, 1905 Died July 9, 1920 Aged 14 Ys., 11 Ms., & 5 Ds.—Darrel Dexter)


The remains of the little two-and-one-half-month-old son of Mr. and Mrs. Charles Guy, of Mounds, was laid to rest in the New Hope Cemetery Thursday.


 The Ullin Times, Friday, 10 Sep 1920:


             The death angel visited the home of Henry and Clara Adams at Marianna, Ark., and took one of their dear little sons.  Arnold Victor Adams was born at Grand Chain, Ill., March 13, 1916, departed this life at Marianna, Ark., Aug. 27, 1920, of congestion, age 4 years, 5 months and 14 days.  He leaves to mourn his departure, his father mother, one sister, Helen, and two brothers, Edward and Clyde, one grandmother, several aunts, uncles and cousins.  He was a dear, sweet little child and will surely be missed.  HHe was loved by everyone that knew him, but he is at rest in his Saviour’s arms, where we hope some day to meet all our loved ones.  The bereaved family have the sympathy of the entire community.

             Mr. and Mrs. Adams are well known around Grand Chain and Perks, having lived at both places quite a while.  Mrs. Adams is a sister of Mrs. John W. Smith, of the Friendship neighborhood.


Mr. William Adams was called to Arkansas last week by the death of his daughter-in-law, Mrs. Henry Adams.  Mrs. Adams was a former resident of this place.


Mrs. Elm__ Wright and son, Glen, and Mrs. Lewis Albright attended the funeral of Mrs. Sarah Palmer at Mounds, Wednesday.


 The Ullin Times, Friday, 25 Feb 1921:

Mrs. Sam Carney has been in Jonesboro the past week, where she was called by the illness and death of Mrs. Sam Littlejohn.


Mrs. Sam Littlejohn Dead

             Mrs. Sam Littlejohn died Monday night in Jonesboro, Ill.  Mrs. Littlejohn was a former resident of this place and had a large circle of friends here.  She leaves to mourn her death her husband and five children.

             (Her marker in Jonesboro Cemetery reads:  Delphia A. Littlejohn Born Feb. 5, 1886 Died Feb. 22, 1921.—Darrel Dexter)

Pulaski Index Page

Last Page