Search billions of records on

Obituaries and Death Notices

 The Cairo Delta

11 Jan 1849-20 Sep 1849


Cairo, Alexander County, Illinois

Transcribed by Darrel Dexter

Thursday, 11 Jan 1849:

We forgot to mention last week the death of Capt. George Henry.  He was a passenger on the Fashion her last trip from New Orleans and died on the 29th ult. below this place.  He was buried on a bluff near A.D. Huff’s wood yard between Cairo and Louisville on the Indiana side.  He left a family. 


Thursday, 18 Jan 1849:

We regret exceedingly in being called upon to record the death of Capt. William Littleton of the steamer St. Louis.  He died of cholera at New Orleans on 31st inst.  Capt. Littleton was an old and experienced officer and well liked by all who were acquainted with him.  He has built some seven or eight boats all of which are not in existence with the exception of the Oregon, now lying in St. Louis. 


Thursday, 8 Feb 1849:

Mr. Samuel Robertson, carpenter on the steamboat Jamestown, as he was going aboard the boat at Nashville, late on Saturday night, 20th ult., missed his footing and fell in the river between the Jamestown and Tennessee and was drowned. 

The Jackson (Cape Girardeau Co., Mo.) Standard of the 30th ult. gives an account of a murder in Wayne Co., Mo., a few days previous.  Three men by the name of Williams killed a man by the name of Morgan and his two sons-in-law.  The murder originated in a dispute about entering land.  One of the Williamses entered land on which Morgan had lived upon and claimed possession of it.  Morgan then went to the land office at Jackson and entered the land on which the Williamses lived.  The result was a fight in which the Morgan party was killed. 


Thursday, 22 Feb 1849:

On Friday last, a daughter of Mr. John Hodge, who lives about 12 miles from this place and who formerly represented the county in the legislature, fell from the porch of his house and was so injured that she lived but an hour afterward.  She was an interesting girl of about 8 or 9 years of age. 

Died at Cairo on the 19th inst., of three days sickness of winter fever, James Jackson Smith, in his 16th year. 


Thursday, 1 Mar 1849:

We learn verbally the following particulars of a killing affair, which took place a few days since just above Thebes, the county seat of his county and suppose they are correct.  A man named Louis Norman a large and overbearing man, was about to enter a house to get a drink of water, when the door was closed against him by a woman who was alone.  He broke the door down and clinched the woman, when her husband, a small man, hearing her cries, entered and with an axe handle knocked Norman down several times.  A companion of Norman on the outside rushed in and attacked the woman’s husband.  A serious fight commenced which ended in Norman receiving a blow behind the ear, which killed him.  We give the particulars as told us without vouching for their correctness in any manner. 


Thursday, 15 Mar 1849:

MISTAKE.—We learn from a subscribed at Thebes, that in giving an account of the serious affray in that neighborhood, we made a mistake in calling the aggressor Norman.  His name was Nathaniel Green, and a few days back he was still alive, and the small man who inflicted the blow was George Huling.


Thursday, 29 Mar 1849:

Everything, we are sorry to say, seems to betoken that the cholera is gradually on the increase in various sections of the country on the rivers.  In another article we speak of its being at Memphis.  It is at Nashville and at several ports between those sites.  Even here at Cairo, we have not entirely escaped this time, although during the winter we had nothing of it.  Some deny that the disease of which several of our citizens have died during the past week is the cholera.  We prefer that it should be this called for the best physicians have pronounced the cholera not contagious unless under very peculiar circumstances, while if this be any other disease, it may be contagious.  These deaths were either the direct result of either exposure or dissipation and we think no person need fear an attack of the cholera who is temperate and careful or if he be attacked, the cure is easy, if prompt.  Let remedies be used at the first symptom of diarrhea or cramping and the cure is almost certain.  During the past few days the malady, whatever it is, seems to have disappeared from among us.  Out of a number of cases the following are the deaths:

            Mr. William Worthington owner of a small trading and peddling boat here and subject to much exposure, but temperate, was taken on Wednesday noon and died during the night.  He had allowed a diarrhea to run on him for several days.

            Mr. Smith, owner of a trading boat and not a regular citizen, very dissipated and subject to exposure, taken on Thursday afternoon and died during the night.

            Mr. Thomas Feely, formerly peddler of milk, very dissipated and much exposed, taken on Thursday afternoon and died next afternoon.  He could have been cured by proper attention or nursing.

            Mr. L.W. Bridges, a blacksmith and an industrious, sober citizen, was taken on Sunday morning and died late in the afternoon.  He had just recovered from a spell of sickness and exposed himself very imprudently by crossing the river to Mr. Garner’s on the Kentucky shore with his family.  When he was taken, the wind blew so hard that it was impossible to cross the river for a physician or medicine.  Mr. Bridges was esteemed by all who knew him as an upright and industrious citizen.

            There have been no deaths on our wharf boats and strangers run no danger whatever more than they would at any other place on the rivers, stopping here.  The ridiculous fear entertained by some nervous travelers of breathing the air of shore for a minute during cholera times is nonsense.  We have a constant breeze at this place, which drives away any miasma that may arise. 


Thursday, 12 Apr 1849:

It is with a feeling and heartfelt sorrow that we announce the death of Mr. Lewis M. Young, formerly of Cincinnati and Cleves, Ohio.  He was taken at 9 o’clock last night with cholera and expired this morning a few minutes before 7 o’clock.  He was aged 26 years, unmarried and in full vigor of manhood.  He arrived here a few days since with a trading boat and intended starting down the river Thursday morning.  Yesterday he spent a couple hours with us in our office, apparently in the best of health and with all the fresh hopes natural to his age and disposition.  A better hearted man than was he lives not.  We condole with his family and drop a tear to his memory with his host of friends.  Poor Lute we all mourn thee. 


Thursday, 19 Apr 1849:

Lewis M. Young—The body of this young man, the sudden death of whom by cholera we mentioned in part of last week’s edition, was placed on the steamer Nominee last Friday for conveyance to Cleves, Ohio, his late home.  His friend, Mr. Thomas Wood, accompanied the body, also taking with him the stock of goods owned by the deceased.  When a friend is taken from us so suddenly it is difficult to realize that we shall never see him more.  On Wednesday he was in our office and for a couple hours we chatted merrily over past scenes of fun and folly, old friends and pleasant memories.  On Thursday at the same hour he lay shrouded in his coffin, a fatal disease having delivered him to the arms of death hours previous.  It is with a saddened heart that we now mark two wine glasses standing side by side in our room, precisely as left by us on that day, when we exchanged our jests and clinched more firmly our friendship.  From a band of friends, several hailing from his own town and city, Cleves and Cincinnati, all in the springtime of life, clustered here in business, yet every day together in pleasure, he has been suddenly snatched. The merriest of a merry group and knit to our hearts by no common ties those hearts turn fondly to his memory as our hands have done to meet his warm grasp.  Poor Lute, thy soul hath fled, but our hearts are with thee in thy coffin. 

We learn that Mr. William J. Watson of Philadelphia fell overboard from the steamboat Pennsylvania at Madison on the night of the 13th inst. and was drowned.  He fell from the upper guard and is supposed to have struck the lower one, which disabled him before he reached the water, as he immediately sunk and never rose to the surface.  Mr. Watson was a young man, about 22 or 23 years of age, and is a member of a respectable family of Philadelphia. 


Thursday, 26 Apr 1849:

A gentleman engaged in buying up cattle in the interior of this state, with others, was taken yesterday morning with cholera on board the steamer Schuykill from Louisville and for St. Louis and died before dinnertime.  His name was D. Simmonds.  He was buried at Trinity, six miles above Cairo on the Ohio.  On his person was found a belt containing $3,000 in drafts and money. 

Capt. Israel formerly commander of the J .J. Crittenden and lately of the Diadem, died last week on the latter boat on her trip from St. Louis to Louisville.  He was taken sick immediately after leaving St. Louis and died sometime after the boat got into the Ohio River. 

Capt. Shannon, who formerly commanded the A. de Lamartine and had gone to Louisville to purchase the Iroquois died in that city at the Galt Hall on Sunday. 


Thursday, 3 May 1849:

We have privately and publicly opposed “Lynch Law” in all its forms, regarding it as palpable a violation of real law and order as any crime for which it may be exercised as punishment.  Hickman, or Mills Point, Ky., we regret to state, has recently been made the scene of a lynch affair and consequent murder, which will illustrate the evil effects of this specie of mobocracy.  As the Newsletter of that place declines making any illusion to the circumstances, which led to or surrounds this bloody tragedy we shall do so briefly and from good authority.  Circumstances could never place us in such a community or in such a position as would compel us to hold our tongues against “Lynch Law” when exercised right at home and almost before our eyes.

            Several weeks since, a gentleman in Hickman had over $3,000 stolen from him, just as he was on the eve of visiting a distant place to buy goods.  The money had been placed in a carpetbag and that deposited for a brief time in a box under the counter of his store and covered with rubbish.  It was stolen and a man living in the same house was suspected.  On this suspicion, he was decoyed by his bosom friend, Dr. James S. Douglass, to a wharf boat where a band of disguised persons seized and gagged him and took him across the river.  The victim, Wiley E. Brinkley, who was of a respectable family and not a man of bad character, was then tortured by 150 lashes on his bare back to get from him on an old Inquisition principle, a confession that he stole the money.  He, a white man, with a family respectably connected and respectable in himself, in this age and among this people, and on a mere suspicion, publicly tortured to ring from him a confession of guilt, whether guilty or not!  It is horrible to think of—it is disgraceful to the town whose citizens were engaged in the affair—and most disgraceful to those citizens themselves.  He did not confess.

            Brinkley kept his bed several days after his punishment.  He had discovered several of his lynchers and vowed revenge.  So, soon as he could walk, he proceeded out in the street with a loaded double-barrel gun.  Dr. Douglass, whom we believe was a highly esteemed citizen, was the first of the band he met, though he had not accompanied them across the river.  Brinkley shot one barrel, the load taking effect in the hand of Douglass, which was thrown across the lower part of the deceased breast.  The second shot hit him in the side and this victim fell down and soon died.  The murderer told those surrounding him, there were five more victims yet.  Another murder came very near closing the scene, or rather continuing the acts of the tragedy.  Brinkley did precisely right!  He did what every man possessing the feelings and passions of a man would do.  Suffering that punishment, with its disgrace, he might well have given himself up as worth no more for this world, but revenge.  We would call him less of a man if he did not seek revenge, or far more than a man, in permitting Christian feelings to overcome unto forgiveness, wrongs and disgrace and torture.

            Brinkley surrendered himself to the officers of justice and awaits his trial.  We understand the citizens are in a state of great excitement and are about equally divided in the sides of approval or condemnation.  More blood will be shed in this affair.  Mark that!  Such are the consequences of “Lynch Law.” 

On Sunday night a deck hand on the Tobacco Plant, Elijah Purbis, was drowned at Taylor’s wood yard, 10 miles above Cairo.  In company with another hand, he was taking a skiff around to the stern of the steamer, when the former was upset by hitting against the wheel, although the boat was lying close to shore and the wheel still.  The drowned man was about 25 years of age, a native of Ireland, single, and formerly of St. Louis.  He was a steady, industrious man. 

Last Thursday night, we marked a funeral probably composed of 200 persons, leave a steamboat at our wharf, and mounting the levee, slowly and solemnly march into the forest shades on the Mississippi.  They bore among them a rough-hewn box, in which lay the mortal remains of an aged English woman, just from her native land, and seeking a home in the Far West.  Alas, here was her home made.  It was a solemn scene, full of solemn thought, there on the brink of the great Mississippi, where it takes into its arms the beautiful Ohio, with that silent crowd gathering around the shallow grave, and the box with its holy burden and the mighty forest trees and the setting sun mellowing the day into night.  Now over that rude box mournfully swept a hymn and with its notes mingled the songs of birds, as if angels in heaven were their spirit voices to soften the grief of earth.  The clods rattled upon the coffin and she who had in youth and womanhood and old age, breathed only the air of a far distant land, now found her narrow home in a land, the existence of which could only have been to her the shadowing of a dream. 


Thursday, 10 May 1849:

Cholera—This fatal disease is still prevailing to a fearful extent—hardly a boat passes but more or less death has occurred on board.  It, however, appears to be confined in its ravages to the lower class and those who are exposed and irregular in their habits.  Too much care cannot be taken and the first symptoms should be properly met.  There is none of the disease at Cairo present, at least among our citizens.  One death occurred on T.J. Smith & Co.’s wharf boat on Tuesday night, which bore strong symptoms of cholera.  The deceased was a native of Ireland, by the name Thomas McKernan, who stated that his family had gone to St. Louis on the Iowa, he being accidentally left by the boat at Memphis.  He also stated he had a son residing at St. Louis by the name of Patrick McKernan.  The deceased was about 55 or 60 years of age. 


Thursday, 17 May 1849:

A child was buried at the point last Sunday morning.  It had died of the cholera on the steamer Winfield Scott and was buried as it had died, without a coffin or box.  A stranger placed two little sticks at the head and foot of the shallow grave, which alone point the spot to notice.  The dead of this boat were thus buried coffinless all the way up, there being no plank on board and we suppose no carpenter.


Thursday, 24 May 1849:

The Madison Banner of the 15th says that on Wednesday evening last, Milton Jones, a school master of Charleston, Ill., murdered and robbed Joseph Miller, a merchant of the same place, near Vincennes.  Miller was on his way to Kentucky for his wife, where she was on a visit and Jones was going to Virginia.  The latter, after he cut the throat of the former and robbed the body, hid it in some rubbish where it was accidentally found by a hunter on the following day.  The murderer was arrested at Greenville and taken back to Vincennes.  When he was arrested, $1,400 of Miller’s money and the knife with which the horrid deed had been committed were found on his person.  Here is a cold-blooded, premeditated murder, committed for the sake of money.  Who will say the murderer should not be hung? 

Died at his residence at Hodge’s Landing in Union County on Saturday 12th inst., James L. Hodges, merchant, aged about 45 years.  The deceased had been a resident of this county for many years past and by a life devoted to perseverance, industry and economy had accumulated a handsome fortune.  As a neighbor, he was kind and obliging, faithful and devoted as a husband, an affectionate and indulgent father.   (James L. Hodges died of cholera, according to the 7 Jun 1849, paper.) 


Thursday, 31 May 1849:

An inquest was held on the respectably dressed body of a man found up the Mississippi levee in the river.  An inquest was held over the body on Thursday morning and the jury returned a verdict that he came to death by violence from some person or persons unknown.  He had a severe wound on his forehead and his shirt was bloody, but we think he received this wound by accident while floating down the river.  His body has since been recognized by subsequent developments to be that of a French thief named Jean Lezic Casson, who committed a robbery on the steamer Atlanta at this port last week.  Mr. Prevost discovered on leaving this place that he had been robbed of two or three hundred dollars.  There was proof sufficient to convince the officers that this thief had committed the robbery and to make him tell where the money was concealed, he was whipped.  After receiving a few lashes he told where the money was, which was recovered.  Immediately afterward, fearing doubtless he would be sent to prison on the boat’s arrival in St. Louis, he went on the lower guard and picking up a stick of wood, plunged overboard, with the intention of swimming ashore.  The result is known.  Two Catholic medals were found on his body, which were similar to those the thief had on when searched.  Letters were found in his trunk, after leaping overboard, written in French, from notorious thieves in Paris, detailing plans, which leave little doubt that he was one of a powerful gang of thieves in that city. 

Died at Lafayette, La., on the 15th inst., of the cholera, George Baumgard, Jr., aged 21 years, formerly of Cairo.  The friends of the deceased will hear with sorrowful surprise of the death of a young man who lately parted from them in the full vigor of health and sanguine hopes to seek his fortunes in a distant place far from home and parents.  His father’s family has our full sympathies for their sudden and melancholy bereavement. 


Thursday, 21 Jun 1849:

Died in Cape Girardeau, Mo., on the morning of the 15th inst., Nancy Charlotte, eldest daughter of George D. and Sarah Gordon.  We condole with the bereaved parents at their untimely loss of one of the dearest objects of their affection.  She was an interesting child and her death will be deeply lamented by those who knew her. 


Thursday, 28 Jun 1849:

A horrible murder was committed about four miles from this place on yesterday evening.  Two men were seen to pass a farmhouse together in a buggy and, in a short time after, the report of a pistol was heard.  This morning the body of the murdered man was found near the road with two balls through his body, his head cut open and his throat cut.  The murderer came to this city and stayed at one of the hotels.  From the marks of blood on the buggy and on the ground, it would appear that the murder was committed in the buggy and that the body was then drawn by one arm five rods around a cluster of bushes where it was found. 


Thursday, 12 Jul 1849:

The officers of the Aleck Scott apprise us of the decease of Mr. T. J. Smith owner of the wharf boat at Cairo.  He died on last Monday after only a few hours illness by cholera.  Mr. Smith was extensively and very popularly known.  His death will be a subject of universal regret.

            The remains of T. J. Smith lately of the wharf boat Sam Dale of this place, were interred at Memphis last Thursday with Odd Fellows ceremonies. 

We are informed that a week or two since, in a little settlement between Ohio City and Charles, Mo., every member of three families, numbering 13 persons in all, died of the cholera.  Their names were Hill, Welch and Brocken.  A doctor named Myers, who had been attending them, was also taken with the disease and died alone.  The bodies were found in houses and in too decomposed a state to place in the coffins provided for them.  They were buried as they were found.  The three or four inhabitants not taken with the disease fled.  In all the instances of great fatality of which we have read, resulting from the cholera, this appears comparatively the greatest. 

Died, at his residence in Cairo on Tuesday morning the 10th inst., Mr. James Berry, Sr., aged 58 years.  Mr. Berry was a native of Philadelphia, but emigrated to this county in 1818 and had consequently resided in this community 31 years.  He first settled in the village of New America and lived there several years.  Subsequently he purchased a large body of land at the mouth of Cash River, five miles up the Ohio, and was the proprietor of the town of Trinity.  He was for many years very extensively engaged in the mercantile and boat store business at that place and by industry and close application to business accumulated a large property, but during the great pressure and hard times of 1840, he, with the most benevolent intentions, gave credits and endorsed to a very large amount by which his hard-earned fortune was swept away.  He was always admired for his frank and honest deportment in all his business transactions, he was a kind and very indulgent husband, a truly affectionate father, and was emphatically the noblest work of God, an honest man.  Mr. Berry had a very extensive acquaintance and we venture to say no man in this community had more friends or fewer enemies.  He leaves a wife and six children, one of whom is the wife of our townsman, Bailey S. Harrell, Esq.  (Mr. Berry was buried at America, according to the 2 Aug 1849, issue of this paper.)           


Thursday, 19 Jul 1849:

Cholera in Cairo—Since our last issue, there have been several deaths in this place by cholera.  These deaths were invariably the result of imprudence or neglect.           

A man named Beattie, who had been living near Caledonia, but who worked here was taken after dinner last Wednesday and died that evening at 10 o’clock.  He had suffered a diarrhea to run too long.  A woman living in upper Cairo named Mrs. Collins died of the epidemic on Saturday.  A man named Harris was taken a few days before his death with the premonitory symptoms, but by medical attention was placed upon his feet again.  Although warned to be very cautious in his diet, while in his present weakened state, yet he got six large onions, seated himself on a stump, and with no seasoning, but salt, demolished them in a raw state and to promote digestion, immediately swallowed about a quart of warm buttermilk.  He died Sunday evening.  (This was probably David Beaty, who was buried at America, according to the 2 Aug 1849, issue of this paper.) 

Died at Shawneetown on the morning of the 28th ult., Henry Eddy Esq. in the 52nd year of his age.  The deceased has been lingering in the lap of death for the least nine months from an attack of bronchitis, and both he and his friends were fully prepared for the event.  The long residence of Mr. Eddy in the state of Illinois, the prominent part he has enacted in her history hitherto, his character for talents, eminency he attained in his profession, added to the universal respect (it would be proper to any love) which was entertained for him by men of all classes, sects and parties would seem to entitle his memory to something more than a passing notice.  His history, like that of nearly all others who have attained professional eminence, has been a checkered and strangely marked by the usual concomitants of poverty, diffidence and want of friends, but full of instruction and encouragement to the young student in the rich harvest of professional success which diligence, punctuality, fidelity, persevering and systematic devotion to business at length yielded in abundance.

            Henry Eddy, son of Nathan Eddy, was born in Rutland Co., Vt., Feb. 1, 1798.  His father was born in Plymouth, Mass., and was a descendant of the Pilgrims.  The family being numerous and the father in slender circumstances, the son, Henry, was compelled to shift for himself from a very early period of his life.  His desire for knowledge was intense and manifest itself rather as an instinct than as a result of habit.  He told the writer of this that his love of study began with the consciousness of intellectual endowments.  Accordingly we find him an assiduous student from early youth, frequently employing his evenings over the midnight candle in the kitchen or barn, unknown to his parents.  His father having removed to western New York, the son, by some means obtained admission into a school near Black Rock of rather high character than any he had hitherto attended.  But the angry blasts of the war bugle soon penetrated the delightful grove of Academus and Morse, Ross and Murray were laid aside for musket, the bayonet and the cartridge box.  The school was broken up and Mr. Eddy then in his 16th year joined the American Army on our northern frontier, continuing in the service for a year or two.

            At 17 he came to Pittsburgh by himself and voluntarily and without the knowledge of his father, bound himself an apprentice to the noblest art and mystery of printing.  During an exciting political canvas at that place, he brought into requisition his peculiar powers as a writer of squibs and sideswipes much to the gratification of some candidates and to the annoyance of others.  Thus he attracted the notice of Judge Shaker, who inquiring and finding out the author, kindly tendered him the privilege of his law office, which offer was greatly accepted.  Having at length finished the routine of preliminary legal studies, he purchased the remainder of the term of his apprenticeship and removed to Shawneetown in his 20th year.

            Forming a connection in the printing business with Mr. S.H. Kimmel of Pittsburgh, they brought on with them a press, type &c. with which they commenced in the year 1818, the publication of the Illinois Emigrant, the second newspaper printed in the territory.  By strict attention to his business and economy in his finances, the “res. Augustoe” which had so long annoyed and oppressed him, now gave way before the realization of unexpected prosperity. 

            It was not long before his portion of the profits enabled him to pay an exorbitant price, about $1,200 for one half the establishment.  A year or two later he became purchaser of the other half, at a still high price, all his means of payment being drawn from office itself.  He continued the publication of this paper under a different name for 10 or 12 years and has assured me that small as was the sheet which he published and trifling as his old Ramage press and worn out type were, he literally coined money as long as he was engaged in business.  Judge Hall, now of Cincinnati, a chaste and classic writer, was associated with Mr. Eddy for a time in the editorial department of the paper.  Few papers excelled this with the ability in which it was conducted.

            Whilst his studious habits, power of analysis and retentive memory had enabled him to make progress in his profession, in reality he had as yet acquired but little fame.  A slight impediment of speech joined to an uncommon degree of modesty and self-distrust opposed all his efforts at speech making, but he studied on, well knowing that the time and the confidence of knowledge would supply language eventually. 

            In the presidential election of 1824, he was successful electoral candidate for this district on the Jacksonian ticket.  Mr. Adams was his choice, but being very hostile to Crawford and believing that Gen. Jackson offered the best chance at defeating him, he gave to the cause of the General a hearty support.

            Before this he had been appointed state’s attorney for this circuit, an office that he resigned in 1833, after having held it for 10 or 12 years to the entire satisfaction of the people.  Subsequently to the reorganization of the judiciary system of the state, he was elected judge of this (the 3rd) Judicial Circuit, without his knowledge.  Having now overcome the obstacles, which had hitherto opposed his progress, and enjoying large fame and practice, he declined the office.  At a later period he was elected to the legislature from this thoroughgoing Democratic county of Gallatin, he being an ardent Whig.

            I have made this hasty sketch of the life of Mr. Eddy because he is generally known throughout the state and was so thoroughly beloved by all who knew him, that anything respecting his history must needs be highly acceptable to them.  Like others, he had his faults, one especially but that of _________.  (The fault of Mr. Eddy was omitted by the editor of the Cairo Delta.)  It had been but too common failing of thousands of the noblest souls to whom God has given birth and in his case was the sole blemish of an almost perfect character, one rank weed in a whole garden of the nicest fragrant and beautiful flowers.  Our estimate of human character is rarely based on its intrinsic excellence, with few exceptions; men are great or small, according to circumstances.  Politics oft make the man, the press oftener, the two together oftenest.  With moderate talents, good address and tact a man may by courting the popular side of politics and engaging the influence of the press, soon attain to the highest consideration.  On the other hand, the best abilities not enjoying these adventitious supports, but rather resisting them, especially if they be accompanied with a certain degree of modesty, rarely challenge public attention to any marked extent, rarely coax or provoke fame.  Of the latter class was the subject of this sketch a notable existence. 


Thursday, 26 Jul 1849:

O. H. T. Miller of Blandville, Ky., was taken with the cholera at that place last Sunday afternoon about 2 o’clock and died next morning at 4 o’clock.  Mr. Miller was a lawyer of considerable ability and well known in Cairo and vicinity where he was generally esteemed.  His sudden death will astonish his friends who knew his temperate habits and therefore believed him least liable to the disease. 


Thursday, 2 Aug 1849:

Died on Monday the 23rd ult., in Ballard Co., Ky., near Milburn, Mrs. Mary Jane Welldon, aged 39 years, of congestive fever. 


Thursday, 9 Aug 1849:

A stranger, deck passenger was left here last Sunday by the Sultana.  He was suffering at the time with the premonitory symptom of the cholera, of which disease he died on the following day.  He was aged about 20 and was named William A. Donison and said he was from Walnut Pick, Miss., and going to Eastport, Tenn.  He wished the postmaster at the former place to write to his friends in Alabama about his death.  He died at the hotel, where he received proper attention and medical advice.  But a small quantity of money and clothing was found in his possession, enough of the former, nearly, to pay his funeral expenses.   


Thursday, 23 Aug 1849:

Died suddenly after three weeks illness at her residence in Commerce, Scott Co., Mo., on the 17th inst., Agnes Worsley, a native of Philadelphia, consort of Jacob Worsley, and daughter of William and Agnes Gracey.

            An accompanying obituary notice, the length of which prevents us publishing, says the deceased bore her suffering with the fortitude, patience and resignation of a Christian.  She was conversing with her family an hour before her death and walked across the room to a chair in which she fell asleep, that sleep which is of eternity.  The husband at her side knew not of her change from earth to heaven till she was cold in death.  She died mourned and regretted by a large circle of friends. 


Thursday, 6 Sep 1849:

Charles Mullen, a citizen of Cape Girardeau and sculptor by profession, was drowned a few days since from a sailboat, which was capsized by coming in contact with a drift log.  The boat contained four other men who were thrown into the river but escaped uninjured. 


Thursday, 13 Sep 1849:

Robert Thomas, a deck passenger on board the Griffin Yeatman, died of cholera at the Cairo wharf boat yesterday evening about 8 o’clock.  Mr. T. was on his way to New Orleans to see his son, whom we learn is engaged in business as a silver smith.  The few effects of the deceased may be found in the possession of Mr. E. Hollister, clerk of Griffin Yeatman, who will deliver them to any person having authority to receive them.          

Cairo Index Page

Next Page