St. Joseph Cemetery
Located approximately 2 miles north of Palmer in Bear Creek Township of Christian County in Illinois.
This cemetery dates back to before 1900 with burials as recently as the
It is fenced and grounds are tended, but few stones remain.
When we went to the first Catholic burial ground in Christian County we
found this plaque had been erected: "The original land on which
this cemetery lies was recorded on June 13 1836 by Elizabeth Durbin,
wife of Joseph Drubin St. Records show that John Durbin was
buried on this land in 1831 and Joseph Durbin Sr. was buried on this
land in 1836. The land was later passed on to Joseph P Durbin
(Squire Joe), his son. This land was later sold to Elijah Duncan,
all but one acre which was reserved to beused as a cemetery, which on
March 21, 1859 was deeded as the Durbin Cemetery. On October 17,
1943, The name was changed to St. joseph Cemetery. A
committee was formed to maintain the cemetery through donations made by
family and friedns of those buried here. Memorial donated by Paul
& Marilyn Durbin.
The cemetery is enclosed by a fence and has an handsome brick entrance.
Read 1 november 1990
Harold & Rosella Brookens
A listing of burials for this cemetery is available in our library.
Tombstone photos and burial information can be found at US Cemetery Project.
Return to Cemetery Index Return to CCGS Home
Your comments and contributions are always welcome.
Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Page last updated
Thursday, 23-Dec-2010 19:13:44 MST