Buckeye Prairie Cemetery

Located 3 miles south and 2 miles west of Owaneco in Locust Township of Christian County in Illinois
"The Buckeye Prairie Cemetery is located 1/4th mile east of the Buckeye United Methodist Church.  The church is three miles west and two miles south of Owaneco.  The first burial ground was directly west of the church.  In 1876 the cemetery was moved to it's present location;  on one acre of ground donated by Jacob Overholt.  According to the records 63 bodies are interred with dates prior to 1876.  This cemetery is one of the oldest cemeteries in continuous use in Christian County.

A hurricane fence and wrought iron gate was installed in 1987, when an additional acre of ground was added to the east.
The cemetery is governed by "The Buckeye Prairie Cemetery Association".   As of this narration, officers and trustees are:  Joe Large (chairman); Angela Becker (Treasurer); Rosella Brookens (Secretery); Lucille Seiler (Vice Chairman and custodian of the records); Zebert Dunaway, Gordon Brown, Sue Kendle, J.C. Large, and Kent Klinefelter are Trustees.  Many of these people are direct descendants of the early settlers who came from Ohio and brought Buckeye Prairie into existence."
Rosella Brookens
June, 1990





  

A listing of burials for this cemetery is available in our library.
Tombstone photos and burial information will soon be available at US Cemetery Project.

Return to Cemetery Index    Return to CCGS Home

Your comments and contributions are always welcome.
Contact us at ccgs28@gmail.com


Page last updated Friday, 31-Dec-2010 18:28:10 MST