of The Lewelling Quaker Museum
Lewelling Quaker Shrine)
from Abstract of Title dated March 10, 1967
family summarized from information sent by Joel Garretson ggg
grandson of Isaac Garretson.
by Jean Leeper on April 2, 2007
2007 by Jean Leeper and the Lewelling Quaker Museum
Updated September 26, 2011
Louis Jones would write in, Quakers of Iowa, 1914, page 188-189:
"... Salem, but twenty-five miles from the Missouri line, and surrounded by numerous wooded streams well adapted for hiding, proved for the Negro a most advantageous place at which to stop for food. The unfailing help which they there received soon became widely known. Could he but reach the town where lived the people of plain grey clothes and broad brimmed hats, the fugitive was assured of safety. ...What with the heavy loads of human freight concealed within hollow loads of hay or beneath grain sacks filled with bran, and the strange proclivity of this Quaker folk for midnight drive to unknown mills or markets, large numbers of fugitive slaves were spirited away to safety by that mysterious route which fitly gained the name: "Underground Railroad". Month after month and year after year with Quaker-like precision this work went on at Salem--not a single slave being retaken, it is said, once he had reached this community (Jean added: 'and hid'). The children in the homes were trained to ask no questions, much less to answer any asked by strangers. They were supposed to have no eyes or no ears, concerning this solemn business. Among the adults vague but well understood terms were used in conversing on this subject; and while it is certain that this grave concern was frequently the subject of guarded discussion in the two Monthly Meetings, still on the records no written reference to the subject is to be found."
New counter on September 13, 2011
1. Government to Aaron
Street* and Peter Boyer, dated Nov 24, 1838 for $100 W 1/2 of NW 1/4
Section 24, Twp. 70, Rg. 7, 80 a *does not specify whether Sr.
or Jr. Original entry page 31
Junior was in Salem by 1838/39, based on Quaker records of Ohio and
Iowa. His father in 1835) In the Upper Springfield Monthly
Meeting Ohio records we read: September 23, 1837 Aaron received on
his request and on October 28, 1837 Elizabeth received on her
request. (To be received by request means they were not members
of the Society of Friends/Quakers at the time they were received into
membership.) Then we read that on March 24th 1838 they
take a certificate from Upper Springfield Meeting to *Vermilion
Monthly Meeting. The next year they are charter members of
Salem Meeting so they came to Iowa in 1838 as you see on
9th day of 10th month 1838 Aaron (Jr.) is appointed to a
committee at Salem Monthly Meeting in Salem, Iowa - gleaned from a
microfilm copy of the first minutes of Salem Monthly Meeting. Thus we
see Aaron Jr. did not come with his father and there is no record
that his father was ever a member of Salem Monthly Meeting in Salem,
the parent meeting for Salem Monthly Meeting in Salem, Iowa and all
membership certificates went there until Salem became a monthly
2. Aaron Street,
Jr. and his wife Elizabeth Street and Peter Boyer and his wife
Cecilia Boyer sold to Henderson Lewelling, dated Aug 31, 1842, $350,
13 acres, Record C, Page 308. (We believe that Henderson was
already on the land two years before this date so must have had an
agreement before the official deed was drawn.)
brought his membership with his family from Vermilion, Illinois in
1839 and was a charter member of Salem Monthly Meeting. In 1844
he and his wife were disowned for joining the separatist meeting. He
and his brothers William and John were all charter members and all
were disowned when they went to and/or helped start the separatist
meeting in Salem. Henderson left the area for Oregon in the
spring of 1847. He rented the property until 1853.
Henderson's brother John left Iowa in 1853, maybe that lead to
Henderson selling the house in 1853. We do not know who rented the
house but we do know that Nelson Gibbs rented the two front rooms
when he was Justice of the Peace in Salem. Was he related to
Joseph Hobson's wife? Did the Hobson family rent it?
Luelling to Joseph Hobson, dated Sept 23, 1853, $1,800, 13
acres, Record L, Page 527.
(* record typed
Anderson Luelling but signed Henderson Luelling.)
Joseph died Aug 18,
1854 aged 68 years, 7 months and 19 days and is buried in Salem,
Iowa. From Hinshaw's Iowa EQG, page 131, Volume VII.
4. Joseph Hobson
and his wife Mary to Tamar Ann Hobson their daughter-in-law dated Jan
6, 1854, 13 acres, $1,500, Record L, Page 712
Joseph and his sons
Joseph R, James and Samuel and grandsons Joseph H and George M. Mills
came from White Lick Meeting, Indiana with certificate dated
9-18-1839 and were accepted into membership on 12-28-1839 by Salem
Monthly Meeting, found on page 131, Volume VII, Hinshaw's Iowa
EQG. Joseph's wife Mary was the daughter of Peter and Elizabeth
Gibbs. Mary was born in Chesterfield County, Virginia and Joseph was
born in Chatham County, N. C. the son of George and Elizabeth Hobson.
I do find that two Gibbs families were in Chatham County, N. C. by
1810 but no first names given. Joseph and Mary marry in Chatham
County, N. C. and six of their children are born there.
There were Gibbs
that were Quakers at Salem but neither Peter nor Elizabeth are shown
in the meeting records. Have not linked Mary to Justice of the
Peace, Nelson Gibbs at this time, but my gut feeling is she is a
cousin. Nelson D. Gibbs parents are Friend and Lucinda Gibbs from New
York. Lucinda and her children Demis, Moses, Lucinda, James,
Julie and Elisha did transfer their membership from Coeymans/Beymons
(sp) N. Y. meeting, in 1845, per Quaker records. The 1850
census shows all the family, except the father Friend Gibbs, being
born in New York and the father being listed as born in
Vermont. The family history says Nelson born in Vermont and the
1880 census has Nelson born in Vermont.
5. Tamar A.
Hobson and her husband George Hobson sold land to Amos Kimberly,
dated July 25, 1854, $2,300,
Record Book L, Page
George was the son
of the above Joseph Hobson. George and his wife Tamer brought
certificates of membership from Cherry Grove, Indiana dated
12-12-1838 and White Lick, Indiana dated 1-16-1839. They were
accepted into membership on 3-30-1839. Tamer was the daughter
of Montillion and Sarah Gibson. Amos Kimberly was also a Quaker who
had been disowned by Salem Meeting in Columbiana County, Ohio. Upper
Springfield Meeting in Ohio had disowned Amos's wife, Ellen Butler
Kimberly. They both became members, per their request to be
reinstated, at Salem Monthly Meeting in 1851.
Kimberly died 12-20-1860 at the age of 66 years 5 months and 28 days
and is buried in Salem South Cemetery, Salem, Iowa, per page 152,
Volume VII, Hinshaw's Iowa, EQG.
His wife Ellen
married Isaac Child in a Quaker ceremony in 1869 and she died in
1879. Isaac Child and wife Esther and son James P had been received
on certificate from Buckingham, Pa meeting on 8-15-1860, page 74 of
same record. In 1875 L. Maria Child wrote a letter to the
1875 UR Convention.
A dispute arose over
land and son Samuel Kimberly filed a Petition of Intervention March
Appearance Docket B,
Page 86, Equity # 1500. Samuel Kimberly and Catherine sold 1/2
of the property to Henry Votaw, dated July 7, 1880, for $1,000
Record 33, Page 248 Land Deeds.
Answer to Petition of
Intervention filed Sept 22, 1880 Outlet 13, exempt 1 acre
sold to Z Foss NW corner. W. S. Withrow commissioned to sell to
Amos McMilliam on Sept. 22, 1880 for $2,360.00 10a (whole property)
Outlet #3, Record 28, Page 614
There was an Amos
McMillian, a Quaker, who died 3-14-1890. On 4-6-1872 Amos and
children, Lydia Ann, Hannah S., Eunice and Florence Emeline, received
on certificate from Chestnut Hill Meeting in Lee County, Iowa, from
page 162, Hinshaw's Iowa EQG, Volume VII. It took eight years
for the estate to be settled
7. Heirs of Amos
McMillian, sold to Oliver S. Garretson, dated March 29, 1898 for
$2,500.00, Record 81, Page 79,
10 acres, except ca 1
1/4 acres deeded to Z. Foss, Recorded Book G, Page 283.
Oliver Garretson had
a brother Cyrus and Cyrus was married to Jerusha Frary
Garretson. Oliver S. died in 1908 and he had four children all
living at the time of his death but he and his family had lived in
Buffalo, NY for many years. Thus probably why the property went to
his brother's family. Mary and Herbert were children of Cyrus
and Jerusha Garretson.
8. Oliver Garretson
estate to Jerusha Garretson dated Sept 23, 1908, for $1.00,
Record 101, Page 360 (Q.C.D.). There was a challenge and at Sheriff
Sale date Feb 1, 1909 for $1,500.00 to Jerusha Garretson, Record 40,
219. (Sheriff's Deed)
9. Mary Garretson et al
dated April 15, 1922 to Herbert C and Ethel M. Garretson, Record 149,
page 218 (Warranty Deed) for $10,950.00
Herbert C. then for
$1.00 conveys to Ethel Garretson, his wife for $1.00 filed April 15,
1922 record 149, page 219
Lamme Garretson, wife of the Herbert Garretson sold to Roy A, White,
dated January 4, 1960 (Warranty Deed 253, Page 301) rev stps
$17.05. Roy White mortgage to Ethel Lamme Garretson, Record
235, Page 431 for $10,000, dated January 4, 1960.
(A William W
Garretson has visited and talked with us about the house. House owner
Herbert Garretson was a second cousin to William W. Garretson's
father. William W. Garretson who at times had visited the house as a
child, remembers knowing about the trap doors and that escaping
slaves were hidden there. Mr. Garretson lives in Des Moines and
taught at Drake University and was assistant attorney general of Iowa
for a time. He is now about 70 - 80 years of age and is still
living in Des Moines. He shared some of this with Faye
Heartsill and Rosie Kramer when he visited the museum in 2000.
He also sent a letter after that trip concerning the Dagg's
More about the
Garretson family: Early Henry County pioneers Isaac and Alice
Garretson had four children: Mary who married Duvall Henderson-owner
Henderson Hotel; Isaac Garretson; John Garretson grandfather of
Herbert and Ethel, the house owners; Joel C. Garretson who had a
grandson Gilbert the father of William. Gilbert's father was Owen A
Garretson. Joel Garretson Jr. a great grandson of Owen A.
Garretson says that Mary, John, Isaac and Joel Garretson all were
abolitionists in Salem and were interested in maintaining that
heritage. One can imagine that may be why the Garretson family
including Oliver, Jerusha, Herbert and Ethel were interested in the
Lewelling house and kept the trap doors in tack.
From The Iowan
June-July 1956 by Curt Harnack, page 23 "some of the principal houses
used for underground stops can still be found in Salem," writes Mrs.
Don Watson, a former Salem resident: "One of these houses is the
Herbert Garretson home. In it there was a hole in the kitchen
floor where one (sic) slave could hide. Another house is owned
by my father, Jay Long. It has bars on the basement windows yet
and two doors inside that were hiding places." The house Jay Long
owned was the Gibson house.
11. Roy White
transferred title to Lewelling Quaker Shrine Inc., dated August 9,
1960 and the Lewelling Quaker Shrine will assume mortgage.
Warranty Deed, Record 256, and Page 96. The Lewelling Quaker
Shrine Board was already active in 1958 and working on the property,
but the deed we find is after they became incorporated.
Voted to change name to
Lewelling Quaker Museum, Inc. February 2000.
12. The Lewelling
Quaker Shrine, Inc. now Lewelling Quaker Museum, Inc sold off all but
1.6 acres to Austin L. Brill and his wife Mary, dated Mar 6, 1965 for
$15,000.00, Record 265, Page 84 (Warranty Deed)
All owners appear to
have at one time had ties to the Society of Friends 's Quakers, or
where Quakers. Lewelling built the house ca 1840/1842 and
before he moved to Oregon in 1847. I can document that all of
the early owners were Quakers. Even the Garretson families were
Quakers before they came to Iowa and lost their membership for
marrying contrary to discipline. The owners of the house had a
cousin Joel Garretson, who was involved with the Underground Railroad
at East Grove. There was once a Quaker meetinghouse at East
Grove in the mid 1800s.
Stories of tunnels
running between houses cannot be documented, as no one bothered to
write what they knew down. But Elsie Craig, 86 in 2006, remembers her father,
Charles Ross Pidgeon, who was born in 1877, telling about tunnels
that one person could be in near Pig Alley (her term), that road that
ran east from Whittier College/Academy (later Salem High
School.) The teachers warned the kids to stay out of these
tunnels and the tunnels were boarded up trying to keep kids
out. Her father said they did not appear to run a long ways.
She said they were near Old Grandma Weeks (what the kids called her)
property and from the conversation, south of the house where Isaac
Gibson lived. Mr. Pidgeon descended from Isaac and Phebe
Pidgeon early Salem pioneers and who were part of the group who were
removed from Salem Meeting for joining the Separatist meeting.
Henderson and William
Lewelling in 1842 purchased the land that was between School Street
and Pig Alley and where the Gibson house was located.
This leads me to
believe that a tunnel might have lead from a field to the Gibson
house or another, unknown to us, Underground Railroad house south of
No other tunnel documentation can be found.