Apalachee was a small thriving community located of US Hwy 441 north of Madison in Morgan County. The community was named for the Apalachee River which runs nearby.
In 1888 a railroad was built that ran through the community. In 1907, John Bostwick built a second railroad which brought cotton and other supplies from Bostwick to Apalachee. The town was incorporated in 1907.
In the early 1900s, a large school building was built to educate the community's children. The Apalachee Baptist Church was founded in 1857. The Apalachee Methodist Church was founded in 1923. Both churches still exist and the school building is still standing. The post office closed in the 1950s.
Today, many of the buildings are former shadows of what they once were, as business buildings are boarded up. It is just a rural area now.
© 2011 - 2012 Compilation Copyright. For Personal Use ONLY. Not for commercial use without the express written permission of the copyright holder.