History of Mount Lookout Chapter   

 

 

 

Highlights of Our Chapter’s History

 

For nearly a year, Mrs. L. D. Roberts served as Organizing Regent.  With the help of State Regent Mrs. Winfield S. Tarbell, she assisted prospective members to establish eligibility for membership.  On June 25, 1923, seventeen daughters met to organize the Mount Lookout Chapter, NSDAR.  The first regular chapter meeting was held on December 3, 1923.  For many years, meetings were held in the members’ homes and local dues of 25 cents per member were assessed.

 

Former member, Mrs. Neil Kimball, had many rare and valuable antiques, which came from Revolutionary homes.  She presented a luster pitcher, a gift from the Marquis de Lafayette to her great, great grandmother, to the DAR Museum in Washington, D. C.

 

At the second meeting in January 1924, the chapter became involved in the preservation and marking of historic Golden sites.  Appropriately, the first historical marker was placed at the site of the first building erected in Golden.  On September 2, 1927, a huge, wind-carved boulder was unveiled on the spot where the Old Boston Building, a one and one-half story, sturdy, log building, once stood.

 

In conjunction with the Colorado State Historical Society, Mount Lookout Chapter placed a second historical marker on June 12, 1935 at the Loveland Building, where the first Territorial Legislature met when Golden served as the first Territorial Capital between 1862 and 1867.  Along with other organizations and businesses, the event was celebrated by a parade, viewed by nearly 6,000 visitors.    

 

The location of the first building of the Colorado School of Mines, erected in 1866, received the placement of a third historical marker.   As part of the school’s 75th anniversary celebration, Mount Lookout Chapter was instrumental in commemorating this site on May 26, 1949.

 

          In 1933, Mount Lookout members sponsored a community plan for beautification of City Park and to change the name to “Pioneer Park” in honor of the area’s pioneers.  The project included a rose garden and arbor, a pool with a fountain, a band shell, flowerbeds, and a Pioneer monument.  Later, grass, a wading pool, playground, restrooms, and drinking fountains were added.

 

          In 1953, the chapter began perpetual care for the grave of Captain E. L. Berthoud in order to preserve the memory of an extraordinary Golden pioneer, explorer, soldier, and scientist. In 1975, the City of Golden took over the care, funded by Mount Lookout Chapter as a Bicentennial project.

 

          In 1956, the Chapter focused its time and energy on opening the Golden Pioneer Museum.  The Chapter managed the museum for 54 years before the City of Golden closed the Museum in 2009. Today the Chapter is assisting with the opening of a new museum, Clear Creek Heritage Museum.

 

In 1968, the chapter participated in the ceremony of the rededication of Golden’s Liberty Bell on a new base in front the Golden Pioneer Museum and City Hall.  It contains a sealed box to be opened in the year 2018.

 

                   For five years, the chapter prepared for the Bicentennial of 1976.   With the City of Golden, the chapter selected the triangle of land along Clear Creek between Washington Avenue and City Hall parking.  Each year trees, a granite marker, picnic tables or benches were added to the park.  On April 16, 1976, a grand Bicentennial Arbor Day event was held in DAR Triangle Park with Glenna Huntington, a member of the Board of Trustees for the National Arbor Day, in attendance.

 

          Among the many civic and patriotic functions Mount Lookout Chapter has fulfilled over the years is the presentation of United States flags to organizations, schools, and other groups. During the Vietnam War, the chapter sent a Colorado flag to a soldier. 

 

          Other activities in which the chapter has participated include:  hand-crafted items for Golden Sidewalk Sale, contributions to DAR schools and Indian schools, supporting Junior American Citizens including organizing chapters at the Industrial School for Boys, and for handicapped children.

 

Web hyperlinks to non-DAR sites are not the responsibility

of the NSDAR, the state organizations, or individual DAR chapters.

 

 

          HOME