top shadow

Places

Assorted Maps

Cities and Towns
 
  • Adonde
  • Araby
  • Avalon
  • Aztec
    80 miles east of Yuma. Post Office was established by Charles A. Dallen on September 12, 1889. Just off I-8. Aztec was a stop on the Southern Pacific Railroad line between Phoenix and Yuma. Link to more.
  • Blaisdell
  • Castle Dome
    Castle Dome was a small mining settlement which first produced silver and later lead. Since lead is not nearly as valuable as silver, the mine did not last very long. The post office opened in 1875 and closed in 1876. Link to more.
  • Castle Dome Landing
    Castle Dome Landing's post office was established December 17, 1875 and discontinued June 16, 1884. Castle Dome Landing was the supply and shipping depot for mines in the nearby Castle Dome Mountains. It was the first stop for steamboats on their way up the Colorado river. A small but active town, Castle Dome Landing had a store, hotel, saloon, stage agency, smelting furnace, and a justice of the peace. As the mines played out there was no longer a need for a supply town. Today the site is covered by water after the building of the Imperial Dam. Link to more.
  • Chrystoval
  • Cibola
    Postoffice in Yuma county, 85 miles north of Yuma, the county seat. Blythe, Calif., is the nearest Railroad and banking point. Farming and stockraising the industries. Altitude 215 feet.
  • Colfred
  • Dateland
    Dateland is a community well-known for date palm dates.
  • Dome
    "Postoffice in Yuma county and station on the Southern Pacific railway, 20 miles east of Yuma, the county seat and nearest banking point. Leading industry placer mining and lead mining. Altitude 188 feet. Population 500."
    "Dome Hotel, E W McDaniel prop
    Hull A G, S G Ashe mgr, mines
    Lawson C O, agt S P Ry
    McDaniel Eugene W, genl  merchandise, justice peace, postmaster
    Mabel Mine, J A McCaddon
    New King of Arizona Mines, J W Johnson supt
    Reorganized United Mines Co, Wm R Scott mgr
    Zavala Geo, constable"
    Source: 1922 Arizona Business Directory, Volume 1, page 135.

    A post office was established here first under the name of Gila city (see Gila City) in 1858. The new post office was established as Dome in 1892 and subsequently opened and closed many times finally closing in 1940. Link to more.
  • Fortuna
    Fortuna's post office was established September 30, 1896 and discontinued November 20, 1904. Located close to the Camino del Diablo or the road of death, Fortuna was a lighthouse in the dark for thirsty miners in the yuma area. The road was named as such due to the number of travelers that died trying to cross the desert. Water was very scarce, but when the Fortuna mine was found, a pump was set up at the Colorado river and water was pumped the 20 miles to the townsite. First located in 1894, the claim was worked until 1904, and then intermittently after that for the next 20 years. In its heyday the town has saloons, a hotel, and a stage and freight line. You can almost feel the thirst of the stage coach drivers as they finally rolled into Fortuna after traversing the Camino del Diablo. Link to more.
  • Gila City
    Gila City's post office was established December 24, 1858 and discontinued July 14, 1863. Destroyed by a flood in 1862, Gila City at one time had over 1200 residents. Located on the Gila river, Gila City was one of the first boom towns in Arizona. Its life was short lived as the mines and Placer gold played out, but for a short time it was quite a town. Today, nothing is left of the site. Link to more.
  • Hyder
    Hyder, 3 miles to the north after Agua Caliente was one of places were general George S. Patton´s forces trained desert war in Second World War. Its very little what remains about the old camp, but veterans sometimes come back to visit this place. Link to more.
  • Kofa
    Kofa's post office was established June 5, 1900 and was discontinued August 27, 1928. Kofa, which stands for King of Arizona, was plagued with scarcity of water. the first year the ore was found the mine couldn't even support a town because of the lack of water. Finally, a well was dug five miles from the townsite and a mill was constructed. The ore ran out in 1910 but the town managed to survive through 1928. Kofa's mill capacity was at one time 250 tons. Today, Kofa is located withing a military bombing range. Link to more.
  • La Laguna
    "Postoffice in Yuma county, 12 miles from Yuma, the county seat, railroad and banking point. Farming and stockraising the principal industries. Population 75. Altitude 120 feet.
    Cavanaugh R W, genl mdse
    Ferguson E Mrs, justice peace
    Sells Geo W, postmaster"
    Source: 1922 Arizona Business Directory, Volume 1, page 260.

    A town due to placer gold, and like so many others, didn't last long. About 2 years, in fact, is all. From 1860 to 1862, this small camp served placer miners and had a few merchants, a few miners, and a ferry. When the La Paz gold struck, every one left. Today the site is submerged under Mittry Lake. Link to more.
  • Ligurta
    Ligurta is a tiny community in Dome Valley.
  • Mohawk
    "Postoffice in Yuma county, 60 miles east of Yuma the county seat and nearest banking point, on Southern Pacific railway. Altitude 540 feet.
    Black F E, agt S P Ry, postmaster
    Clump M J genl mdse
    Mohawk Cons Copper Co, H S Gleen
    Red Cross Mine, G W Norton"
    Source: 1922 Arizona Business Directory, Volume 1, page 276.
  • Norton
    See: 1922 Arizona Business Directory, Volume 1, page 290.
  • Owl Station
    1870's was water pickup station to make it on up and over mohawk pass to aztec water tower.1928 standard oil chartered service station for travelers between tucson and sandiego[the only road ,it was sand & gravel,still visible from owl.Cabin camp of 7 cabins,cafe,and garage was added.In 40's,soldiers came from 50 miles east & west to dances.Best chili beans in az.Truckers said. Burned down early 60's.After i-8 opened up. Link to more.
  • Palomas
    See: 1922 Arizona Business Directory, Volume 1, page 292.
  • Parker (now in La Paz county)
    Postoffice in northern Yuma county, on the Santa Fe Ry., located on the Colorado river at the head of the great Parker valley. Dry healthful clomante. Elevation about 380 feet. Population 500.
    Brown B B, billiards cigars
    Brown Mary E, postmaster
    Bush J E Ferry & Frieght Co
    Brown & Lamoureaux, bottling works, ice
    Collins Abbie E, real est, undertaker
    Day C E, justice peace
    Ditrick Chas, groc
    Ewing Frank, drugs
    Foster C K, barber
    Grand View Hotel, E D Hobbs prop
    Harris C L, contr
    Hasfelt C H, moving pictures
    Hotel Manitaba, B M Fuqua prop
    Indian Industrial School, W T Haygood supt
    Marsh G A, banker
    Martin R J, plumber
    Methodist Church, Rev P S Ryan pastor
    Miskell L, billiards
    Nettle Anna I, phys
    Neuman Bros, rest
    Parker Commercial Co, genl mdse
    Parker Motor Co, J D Mathews prop
    Parker Valley Bank
    Raney Mercantile Co, genl mdse
    Rea B B , agt A T & S F Ry
    Reed W C, garage
    Sexton W J, shoes
    Stevens Frank, Blksmith
    Strohm A H, billiards
    Source: 1922 Arizona Business Directory, Volume 1, page 293.
  • Polaris
    Polaris' post office was established June 17, 1909 and was discontinued July 31, 1914. Felix Mayhew discovered the outcropping responsible for Polaris and sold it for a cool $350,000. Polaris was named for the North Star and reported about 150 residents. The mines played out in 1911 and Polaris was no more. Link to more.
  • Quartzsite (now in La Paz county)
    See: 1922 Arizona Business Directory, Volume 2, page 366.
  • Roll
    The community of Roll was named for early settler John H. Roll. It lies along the lower Gila River between the Yuma Proving Ground and the Barry M. Goldwater Air Force Range.
  • Salome
    See: 1922 Arizona Business Directory, Volume 2, page 375.
  • San Luis
    The city was established in 1930 with the opening of a border-crossing station.
  • Somerton
    Somerton was established in 1898. Somerton has an annual Tamale Festival that benefits students from the area who will be attending Arizona State University.
    See: 1922 Arizona Business Directory, Volume 2, page 380.
  • Swansea
    See: 1922 Arizona Business Directory, Volume 2, page 387.
  • Tacna
  • Vicksburg
    See: 1922 Arizona Business Directory, Volume 2, page 424.
  • Wellton
    See: 1922 Arizona Business Directory, Volume 2, page 425.

    Wellton, founded in 1878 and incorporated in 1970, lies 29 miles east of Yuma, Arizona. It is a center for business, services, and recreation for more than 5,000 residents in the valley and the surrounding area. Winter and retired residents also contribute to the local economy.
    Wellton (originally Well Town) was named for the time water wells were drilled to service the Southern Pacific Railroad. Most areas were settled in the 1860's as the need arose for stations to serve the Butterfield Overland Mail stagecoaches. With the railroads eventually supplanting the stagecoach lines in the 1870's, several communities were established (Tacna and Wellton) to provide water facilities for the old steam-powered engines. As the stagecoach gave way to the railroad, so the railroad gave way to the automobile. Though rail service is still maintained through Wellton-Mohawk Valley, the current economic livelihood is based on agriculture.
  • Wenden
    See: 1922 Arizona Business Directory, Volume 2, page 425.
  • Yuma Crossing
    Crossing the Colorado River was a dangerous thing in the old days. Only at the place were the Colorado and Gila River meet each another was it possible to cross over. Even though the Colorado river area was searched by Spanierds in the beginning of 1540's, the first Spanish settlement was not founded until 1775, when Fr. Francisko Garces (who lead missionarys together with the soldiers), founded the mission close to the place were the rivers ran together.The next 6 years settlers terrorized Quechan Indians who lived along the river, forcing them to katolism and destroyed their farmland with grassing cattle and horses. After they lived in terror, the Indians started killing soldiers, settlers and Fr.Garces - all were killed except the woman and children. In the next 50 years nobody tried to settled here. A change came in 1829 when Kit Carson came to the place which will get the name Yuma Crossing. He collected more then 2000 pounds of beaver skin during his time here. Carson came back with the military in 1846 together with Cpt. Philip St.George Cook and the Mormon Battalion who were occupied building the first wagon road through the country witch eventually became Arizona. During the Mexican war (1846-48), Mexican and American soldiers crossed the Colorado River close to the Spanish mission. Later, streams of people came to California for the gold rush, and there was so many that Maj. Samuel Peter Heintzelman in 1850 lead a group of 92 man and founded Camp Calhoun on a hilltop on the California side (at that time under Arizona's command) with a great overview over the crossing place. In 1852 this military post was known as Fort Yuma and the same year arrived the first steamboat cargo from Gulf of California. One society started growing on the Arizona side, across the Fort. The first post office was founded in 1857 and named Colorado City, but one year later, the name was changed to Arizona City. In 1883, six years after railroad arrived, the need for military protection was over. The next year the Fort Yuma was given to the Department of the Interior and thereafter to Quechan Indians. In 1866 the post office was officially named Yuma. Link to more.
  • Yuma
    Located at the point where the Gila and Colorado Rivers converge, Yuma originated as a major transportation hub, as goods came from the west coast and were shipped up river. Since prehistoric times, Yuma has been the best site for crossing the Colorado River - Spanish conquistadors traveled this route in the 1500's and the only Ocean to Ocean bridge was constructed here in 1920, linking the Eastern U.S. and the West Coast. (previously known as Arizona City)

Templates in Time