Welcome To Fort Apache
home of the Cibuque Apache
This is modern Cibuque, situated inside of Fort Apache. Long ago the primitive Cibuque/White Mountain Apache lived here.
Modern Apache Museum
Fort Apache Storeroom
General Crooks Cabin
Storage Building #2
Apache camp display
Stockade Lockup (Jail)
For hundreds of years the Apaches had subsisted in this land. Many lived a subsistence and farming life style.
Others lived by raiding other Indian tribes, Mexicans, and settlers, for guns, horses, or food.
Some raiding groups captured the attention of the American government.
There are many versions of what happened next, so I hope we researched records that were correct.
In 1869 the 1st Cavalry commanded by Col. John Green came to the White Mountains with orders to kill or capture any Apache people they found.
The expedition headed north up the San Carlos River,
across the Black River, and to the White River in the vicinity of the
future site of Fort Apache.
Green sent Captain John Barry, with orders to kill everyone in the village if he could.
When Captain Barry arrived at the village he found white flags displayed on every hut, and villagers went to the fields to cut corn for his horses.
The officers said if we fire on these friendly Indians, we will be guilty of murder.
Green later returned to the White Mountains and met with Apache chiefs Escapa, Eskininla and Pedro.
They all agreed to the creation of a military post and reservation, and directed Green to the confluence of the East and North Forks of the White River.
The location of Fort Apache was perfect, Indians were healthy, no malaria, good trees a few miles away, limestone, and lots of water.
It would compel the White Mountain Indians to live on their reservation or be driven from their beautiful country which they worship. It would stop their traffic in corn with the hostile tribes, they could not plant an acre of ground without our permission as we know every spot of it.
It would make a good scouting post, being close to hostile bands on either side.
It was also a good supply depot for Scouting from other posts, and, would do much to end the Apache War.
The following spring troops from the 21st Infantry and 1st Cavalry were ordered to establish a camp on the White Mountain River.
In 1870 they built Camp Ord, and within the next year the remaining troops at Camp Goodwin moved to Camp Ord, later named Camp Mogollon, and in 1879 the name was again changed to Camp Apache.
The Army abandoned Fort Apache in 1922. In 1923 the site became the home of the Bureau of Indian Affairsâ€™ Theodore Roosevelt Indian Boarding School.
First intended to serve Navajo children, by the 1930s a majority of students at the school were Apache.
Today the School serves as a middle school, under the administration of a school board selected by the Tribal Council.
The White Mountain Apache Tribe now consists of approximately 15,000 members. Many live here on our Tribal lands, while others live and work elsewhere.
The majority of the population lives near Whiteriver, the seat of Tribal government, with others living in Cibecue, Carrizo, Cedar Creek, Forestdale, Hon-Dah, McNary, East Fork, and Seven Mile.
Kinishba Ruin nearby
Old Indian Photographs
Canned Histories TM by donkelly