Saline County, Arkansas, Goodspeed Biographies
Joseph Scott, prominently numbered among the pioneer settlers of Saline County, was born in St. Clair County, Ala., in 1829, and was the sixth in a family of nine children, of whom seven are living, born to William Milton and Annie (Scott) Scott. The former was a native of South Carolina, and in an early day went to Alabama (about 1818), in 1833 emigrating to this county, then a wild waste and thinly settled, and where game was abundant. He located in Pulaski (now Saline) County, and engaged in farming and took an active part in the county's formation, subsequently serving in the legislature, and also as county and probate judge. His death occurred in 1857, but his esteemed wife survived until 1867. Joseph Scott was reared to farm life, being educated in the subscription schools, and aided in clearing up the old homestead. He commenced farming for himself in Saline Township, and was married here in 1850 to Elizabeth Dodd, a native of Alabama and a daughter of David and Sarah Dodd, who came to Arkansas about 1836. Mr. Dodd served the county two terms in the legislature, being a prominent Whig leader. His death occurred in 1870. Mr. Scott's first wife died in 1856. By that union he had two children, both living: Henry Scott (who resides in Downey, Cal., where he holds the position of cashier of a bank), and David M. (engaged in farming in the State of Texas). Mr. Scott was again married in 1857, Sarah E. Lindsey, of Saline County, and a daughter of Joseph and Hannah (Milliner) Lindsey, of Alabama, becoming his wife. Mr. Lindsey came to Arkansas at a very early day, where he engaged in farming. Both have been dead for some years. Mr. Scott enlisted in 1864 under Col. Crawford and was with Gen. Price in his raid through Missouri, being paroled in 1865, and returning to Saline County, where he resumed farming. He owns a part of the original homestead of 160 acres, and has since added to it, owning at this time 600 acres, 200 of which are under cultivation, devoted principally to corn and small grain. He also raises some stock. Mr. Scott has been elected on the Democratic ticket to the offices of county judge and probate judge, holding these offices for some twelve or fourteen years from his first election in 1854. He has also served as justice of the peace for several years. A prominent member of Benton Lodge No. 34, A. F. & A. M., he has been worshipful master several times. He is also a member of the Chapter at Little Rock. Mr. Scott lost his second wife September 8, 1887, who left five children, all of whom are living: Joseph B. (married and in Saline, and a teacher by profession), Thomas D. (a Methodist Episcopal minister, of Chicot County), Mary Ann (now Mrs. Pelton, of this county), Isabella (at home), John W. (also at home) and one child (deceased). Mr. Scott has also served as deputy sheriff. His aid and influence have ever been given to the growth and welfare of this locality.
Patrick Scott, an esteemed and popular citizen of Saline Township, was born in St. Clair County, Ala., December 3, 1826, and is the son of William M. Scott, one of the early settlers, having come here in 1833. Mr. Scott was one of the commissioners who laid out and helped to form the present survey of the county. He represented the county in an early day legislature, and was a botanic physician of no mean ability. Patrick Scott is the fifth in a family of eleven children, seven of whom are now living. He came to Arkansas in the latter part of 1833, and was educated in the schools of Alabama and Arkansas. He chose to follow his father's occupation, and that he made a success of his choice, that of farming, is proven beyond a doubt. When twenty-three years old he was married to Miss Jane Nelson, a native of North Carolina, and the daughter of John and Nancy (Burnsides) Nelson. She was born September 25, 1826, and married August 9, 1849. Their marriage has been blessed with nine children: A. W. (born August 5, 1850, married), Mary T. (born October 4, 1852, died February 1, 1857), John M. (born October 17, 1854, married), Laura A. (born December 15, 1856, now Mrs. Tarplay), Patrick H. (born July 10, 1859, married), W. C. (born February 4, 1872, deceased May 8, 1885), Benjamin T. (born March 17, 1864, unmarried and a minister of the Methodist Episcopal Church), R. A. (born February 12, 1867, married), and Samuel B. (born August 27, 1869, a student of Fayetteville University). Shortly after his marriage Mr. Scott settled on the farm where he now resides, consisting of about 270 acres with 100 under cultivation. He erected fine buildings, including house, etc., and good fences. The orchards are second to none in the county, and altogether it is one of the finest farms in that part of the country. During the last eight or ten years Mr. Scott has made his own and neighbors' sorghum, and has always raised all crops necessary for his own use. During the war Mr. Scott remained at home, so was never injured nor did he suffer particular inconvenience, consequently he harbors no prejudices against any one. He is one of those quiet, unassuming men who has never aspired to official positions or filled any office except that of director of school district. In politics he sides with the Democrats. He is a member of Benton Lodge No. 34, A. F. & A. M., and himself and family are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church. Since 1860 Mr. Scott has been a minister of that church, and in 1867 was ordained deacon; in 1871 ordained elder, and has always been an earnest worker in the church and Sunday school. He was the leading spirit in locating and securing the Salem camp-ground in 1867, which is probably one of the most noted places of that kind in the State, and also helped to organize the Salem Church in 1859. Mr. Scott is not a follower, but a leader in all enterprises that betoken the good or growth of the country.
Winfrey G. Scott, one of the well-known dealers in general merchandise at Benton, Ark., was born in Saline Township, Saline County, in 1837, and is a son of William M. and Anna Scott, who were born in 1794 and 1799, respectively. The parents were married and moved to Saline County in 1833, settling at a point about five miles northwest of where Benton now stands. The surrounding country at that time was a wilderness, and Little Rock itself nothing but a trading post. They resided at that place for about two years, and then settled on the military road, a small improved tract of land some three miles northeast of Benton, where the father died in 1857. The mother followed him in 1875, dying in the town of Benton. The elder Scott was a farmer of wide acquaintance during his life, and, as elsewhere mentioned, a botanical physician of extensive reputation. He served as county judge for some years, and was also elected to the legislature. He was a self-made man in every respect, and was highly esteemed throughout the surrounding country. He was a prominent member of the A. F. & A. M. for many years. Winfrey G. Scott was the tenth of eleven children born to his parents, and attended private schools about three months of the year. During the Civil War he served three years in the Confederate army, and was a member of Company E, First Arkansas Infantry, for about one year. He was discharged from this company on account of ill-health, but on recovering joined a company of cavalry in Gen. Fagan's army, and operated one year in Arkansas, serving until July, 1864, when he was captured in Arkansas and confined for nearly three months at Little Rock, and from there taken to Alton, Ill., and kept a prisoner until the close of the war. he took part in many skirmishes, the last one being the occasion of bravery, which was rewarded with a promotion to lieutenant. In 1867 he was married to Sarah Frances, a daughter of William S. and Mary Lee, who moved from Tennessee, their native State, to Saline County, Ark., where they passed the remainder of their days. Mrs. Scott departed this life in 1875, and in 1876 Mr. Scott was married to Sarah Emeline, a daughter of Thomas and Marium R. Poe, who died in what is now Grant County. This marriage gave Mr. and Mrs. Scott one son, Thomas M. Mr. Scott and his family continued to reside on the old homestead until the year 1883, when he moved to Benton, where he has accumulated considerable good business property, and also owns a nice cottage residence, all of it having been made by his own energy and business tact. In politics he is a stanch Democrat, and a stout upholder of that party since he cast his first presidential vote for Breckenridge in 1860. He also belongs to the Knights of Honor, Saline Lodge No. 1319, and is chaplain of that lodge. He and wife are both members of the Methodist Church, to which the former has belonged for over thirty years.
E. W. Searcy, farmer and stock raiser, of Holland Township, Saline County, whose birth occurred in Alabama, in 1847, is the son of Reuben and Isabella (McDonald) Searcy, both natives of Alabama. Mr. Searcy moved to Bradley County, Ark., in 1857, and remained there for some time. He died in 1881, his wife surviving him only one year. They were members of the Baptist Church, and were married in 1825, becoming the parents of twelve children, nine of whom lived to age of maturity (and six of whom are now living): Nancy E. (deceased, married E. M. Fikes), Isabella (wife of W. L. Moore), Margarett (wife of J. F. Henson), Melvina (wife of E. Stenson), J. B. Polina (deceased, wife of W. J. Thomas), J. R. (deceased), Sarah J. (deceased, wife of W. S. Whaley), E. W. (the subject of this sketch), Dora E. (wife of Z. T. Moore), B. Y. (deceased), Sarah A. (deceased), and Napoleon (deceased). At the age of twenty-two E. W. Searcy commenced life for himself as a farmer in Cleveland County, on his father's land, where he remained until the war, going in 1863 to Texas with his parents, where he continued until after the conflict closed. In 1866 he moved to Claiborne Parish, La., but one year later went to Drew County, and then to Texas, staying one year in each place. Returning to Cleveland County he engaged in farming, and also opened up a store of general merchandise, finally selling out the latter business and turning his whole attention to farming. Mr. Searcy purchased his present farm in 1886, consisting of 120 acres, twenty acres of which were cleared. He now has over eighty acres in cultivation, and is preparing to build several houses. He intends to make a specialty of stock raising. In 1869 he married Miss L. C. Parks, of Texas, daughter of Newton and Mary (Moore) Parks. Mr. and Mrs. Searcy are the parents of seven children: Mary E. (a teacher), James N., Lulia B., Ruth, John R., Mason and Garland. They are both members of the Missionary Baptist Church. Mr. Searcy is a liberal patron of both church and school work, and of all enterprises for the upbuilding and development of his adopted home. He has just completed a steam-power cotton and grist mill combined, and thoroughly understanding the business, will undoubtedly enjoy a large patronage.
H. Carlton Shaw. Among the prominent and popular men of the county is H. C. Shaw, familiarly known as "Carl Shaw." He is a native of Georgia, was born April, 1853, and is the son of Hiram M. and Elizabeth (Arnold) Shaw, natives of South Carolina, but who were married in Gwinnett County, Ga., in 1833. They moved to Walker County, Ga., the year before the Indians were driven out of the territory (in 1837), and lived there till 1857, when they came to Saline County, Ark., and settling on what is known as the Shaw farm. Hiram Shaw was one of the influential citizens of the settlement, and in 1877 headed the petition and was the leading spirit in securing the present lines of Shaw Township. As would be supposed the township was named for him, and very properly too, for he was one of the men that brought the locality up to its present standard. During his residence in Georgia he filled the different positions of county judge, sheriff and county and circuit clerk of this county. After coming to Arkansas he was not active in local politics, but voted the Democratic ticket. He was postmaster for several years at Merit, and at the time of his death, in 1875, owned 160 acres of land with sixty under cultivation and otherwise improved. His excellent wife still survives him, and is residing at the old homestead. They were the parents of ten children, seven of whom are still living: Permelia (wife of W. W. White, of Saline County), Emma (wife of E. Anderson, of Georgia), Blanche (wife of James A. Barnes, deceased, in Saline County), Joseph W. (physician and surgeon, of Garland County, Ark.) [see Garland County Goodspeed bio for Dr. Joseph Shaw], Rebecca C. (wife of William H. Howard, a farmer and teacher in Shaw Township), James H., Martin A. and Virgil N. (lost in the late war), Martha C. (wife of J. B. Miller, a farmer of this county), and H. C. (the subject of this sketch). Carl was reared on a farm and received his education in the common schools of his county, later spending one year at the Benton school. When twenty-one years of age he started in life for himself and was engaged in farming on the old home place, and on February 19, 1878, was married to Miss Emeline Logan, a daughter of James Harvey and Angelina (Eskew) Logan. Mr. Logan was a native of Tennessee, and his wife of Arkansas. Their daughter was born in Saline County, Ark., on May 7, 1862, they having emigrated to this State in 1840. Mr. and Mrs. Shaw are the parents of six children, five of whom are living: Hollie H. (born May 17, 1879), M. C. (born December 15, 1880), Martin Logan (born February 11, 1883, died March 8, 1883), Haly Augustus (born February 25, 1884), Hiram Cole (born February 19, 1886) and Ava Ethel (born March 17, 1889). After his marriage Mr. Shaw moved to the place where he now resides, and has improved it to such an extent that one would scarcely recognize it as being the same. A good house is among the improvements, and everything about the place indicates the presence of thrift and prosperity. He has forty-two acres under a high state of cultivation, also eighty acres of the old home place, with forty-five of that under the plow. He has held the office of justice of the peace for some years, also postmaster in his township. He is a supporter of the principles of the Agricultural Wheel, and himself and wife are members of the Missionary Baptist Church. Mr. Shaw has always taken active interest in the schools of his county, and it is such men as he that build up towns and villages, for without them the world would make but little progress. He honors the Democratic party with his vote, and has a very decided influence in local politics.
John G. Shepard is among the prominent and enterprising citizens of Traskwood Township, for which he has been magistrate a number of years. He is a native of Tennessee and was born in Hickman County, March 17, 1833, being one of thirteen children in the family of Thomas and Permelia (Gohight) Shepard, originally from Georgia and South Carolina, respectively. Eleven children are living and reside in different parts of the country. Thomas Shepard was married in Mississippi, but lived in Tennessee for a good many years. He was justice of the peace twenty years, and a very popular and influential citizen, dying in Tennessee at the age of seventy-nine; his wife still survives at the age of seventy-nine. John G. Shepard was reared to farm life, and as the facilities for schooling were very meager his education was limited, but, nevertheless, he is a well-informed man, as he has read and studied a great deal. At the age of twenty he was marred to Miss Judith H. Trout, a native of Tennessee, and in 1860 he came to Saline County, settling where he now resides. Mrs. Shepard died in 1862, leaving one child, William Thomas, married, and a prosperous farmer in Texas. Mr. Shepard's second and present wife was Mrs. Nancy Pelton, widow of William B. Pelton. By this union three children have been born: Andrew A. (born April 1, 1866, married), Christopher C. (born April 10, 1869, married), Nancy L. (died when an infant). In 1862 Mr. Shepard enlisted in the Sixth Arkansas Infantry and participated in the battles of Helena and Jenkins' Ferry, but was not captured nor wounded. After being paroled at Marshall, Tex., in 1865, he returned home and engaged in farming. In politics he is identified with the Democratic party. He was elected as magistrate in 1878, and with the exception of two years has served since that time. He has married about twenty-five couples, and is now justice of the peace. Fifteen years ago he was elected school director, a position he has continued to hold. Mr. and Mrs. Shepard are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church, in which he was steward and trustee for years. The latter has two children by her former marriage: Isham M. and Sarah M. Mr. Shepard owns a good farm of 118 acres on Clift Creek, with sixty acres cultivated. During his residence in Arkansas he has cleared forty acres, and the careful attention paid to keeping the farm in good condition shows that "the grass has no chance to grow" under his industrious efforts. In 1887 the home was destroyed by fire, but a new frame house now stands in its place. Mr. Shepard has taken an active interest in public enterprises, and there is probably no one in the county who has done more toward securing a good school and furniture for this community. He always favors long terms of schools and competent teachers. The Fair Play Lodge No. 32. A.F.&A.M., counts him as one of its members, and during their continuance here he was a member of the K. of L. and Agricultural Wheel. He also belongs to the Grange.
M. C. [Maloy Copeland] Shepherd, who occupies a place of prominence among the merchants, farmers, and well-known citizens of Saline County, was born in North Carolina in 1840, and was the youngest of three sons and five daughters born to his parents, the mother dying a few days after his birth, and the father when he was but six or seven years old. After the latter's death the family became separated, and M. C. resided with different relatives in his native State until the year 1851, then coming to Saline County with a cousin, William Shepherd, with whom he remained until the outbreak of the Civil War. On that occasion he joined Company A, Eleventh Arkansas Infantry, and fought gallantly for the Southern cause until his capture at Island No. 10, when he was taken to Camp Douglas, Ill., and confined for four or five months under a strong guard. He was afterward transferred to Vicksburg and exchanged, and again joined his command in time to take part in the battles of Jackson, Miss., Port Hudson, and a number of others. In 1864 he was promoted to the rank of sergeant, and was sent to Arkansas to look up deserters from the army, and while near his home was again captured, and this time taken to Little Rock, where he was compelled to take the oath of allegiance. In 1886 Mr. Shepherd was married to Sarah, a daughter of William T. and Sarah Poe, of Alabama, who moved to Arkansas about the year 1852, and settled in what is now Grant County. The father lived to an advanced age, and after the war was elected county judge of Grant County, and was also justice of the peace for his township. Mrs. Shepherd died one year after her marriage, and on June 15, 1867, Mr. Shepherd was married to Mary J., a daughter of Hiram and Elizabeth Hogue, of South Carolina and Tennessee, respectively, who moved from the latter State to Arkansas at an early period. The mother died in Grant County, but the father is still living and resides in Saline County. Ten children were born to Mr. Shepherd's second marriage, of whom two sons and four daughters are yet living. He first settled in Grant County, on arriving in Arkansas, and resided there until 1876, when he moved to Saline County, locating in Bryant. In 1879 he built the first store west of the railroad at Bryant, being compelled to cut away the brush in order to do so. He then sold goods at that place for several years, but finally returned to farm life, and continued at it for one year, when he established another store. He alternated between farming and merchandising until 1889, when he opened up his present store, and is now one of the leading and most enterprising merchants in his locality. Besides this business, he owns some 358 acres of fertile land, and has placed eighty acres under cultivation, all of it made by his own individual effort and good management. In politics he is a Democrat, casting his first presidential vote for Greeley in 1872, and has served as postmaster of Bryant for about four years. In secret societies he is a member of Bryant Lodge No. 441, A.F.&A.M., and in religious faith has belonged to the Missionary Baptist Church for about twenty-five years, while his estimate wife attends the Methodist Church.
John F. Shoemaker, formerly county clerk of Saline County, and one of the most enterprising men within its limited, was born in Winston County, Miss., in March, 1846, his parents being Lindsay F. and Jefsonia M. (Coulter) Shoemaker, natives of Alabama dn Tennessee, respectively, though reared in Mississippi. Lindsay Shoemaker was a millwright by trade, and was educated in the country schools. After marrying he settled in Leake County, Miss., engaging in the mill business. Here he remained until 1856, when he moved to this county and resumed his former occupation, giving it his attention, with the exception of two years, until his death, in 1870. He was married in 1844, becoming the father of eight children. Four of these died while young and four are still living: John F. (who forms the subject of this sketch), America M. (wife of G. W. Ogle, who resides in this place), Mary T. (wife of C. A. Payne, of Shaw, this county), and William W. (married and in Little Rock). Mrs. Shoemaker died about 1866. In 1869 Mr. Shoemaker was again united in marriage. His wife was Mrs. Harriet McClue, daughter of W. Brents. By this union there was one child, which died when young. Mrs. Shoemaker still lives, residing with her son John. Mr. Shoemaker had been justice of the peace of this township, and was a member of the I.O.O.F. John F., whose name heads this sketch, was reared and educated in Benton, working at the milling business until 1880, when he was elected county and circuit clerk. This office he filled for eight years. Since the expiration of his term of office he has been engage din buying and selling scrip. He was married in 1871 to Miss Susan E. McClue, daughter of John and Harriet E. (Brents) McClue. Five children were born to them, four now living: C. E., Clard E., Hattie W. and Wilbur. In 1864 Mr. Shoemaker joined the Confederate army, enlisting in Company B, First Cavalry Regiment of Trans-Mississippi department, commanded by Col. W. A. Crawford. he served faithfully until his discharge on the Trinity River, Tex., participating in the battles of Pilot Knob, Mo., Independence, Mo., and nearly all the battles on Gen. Price's raid through Missouri in 1864. After the close of the war he came home and engaged in the milling business with his father until the latter's death. Mr. Shoemaker is a member of Benton Lodge, A.F.&A.M., and quite a society man. He heartily supports all movements tending to increase the welfare of his county, and is an earnest advocate of public improvements. he owns some valuable property in this city, prominent among which is a beautiful residence and a splendid store building. Politically he is a Democrat, taking an active interest in the party movement of his county. He is practically a self-made man, coming here when small, and not receiving the advantages of a liberal education in his boyhood days. By close application, however, he has qualified himself for any position of trust within the power of his acquaintances to bestow.
John F. Shoppach, the present popular and efficient sheriff of Saline County, was first elected to this position in the fall of 1880, and by reason of his peculiar fitness for the place has since continued to discharge the duties of that office, having served as deputy for four years. Born in Shaw Township, Saline County, April 15, 1849, he was the third in a family of six children born to John W. and Libbie (Pelton) Shoppach), the former of whom came to this country about 1836. He was married in Saline County in 1838, settling in what is now Shaw Township, where he entered a piece of land, and in 1853 moved to Benton. He was engaged as deputy clerk, then justice of the peace for some years, and was elected clerk of the county in 1852, an office that he held until 1861, or up to the time of his death. He was a member of Benton Lodge No. 34, A.F.&A.M. His excellent wife still survives him, and resides in Benton. John F. Shoppach was reared in Benton, being favored with an attendance in the public schools, and in May, 1863, enlisted for the war before he was of age. He was in Col. Crawford's First Mississippi Cavalry, and participated in the battles of Pilot Knob, as well as with Gen. Price on his raid through Missouri, at Jefferson City, Blue Gap, Kansas City and Newtonia. Remaining with his regiment until the close of service, he returned to Benton in May, 1865, and engaged in farming, following that until elected deputy sheriff. He is a prominent Democrat, and is a member of Benton Lodge No. 34, A.F.&A.M., in which order he has served as junior warden. He is also a member of the Knights of Honor, belonging to Saline Lodge No. 1319, in this he is past dictator, having served two terms as dictator. Mr. Shoppach was married in 1868 to Miss Mary S. Homan, a native of Saline County, and daughter of Samuel and Martha (Roland) Homan. Mr. and Mrs. Homan came to Saline County at an early day, but are both now deceased. By this union two children were born, Luther and John. Mr. Shoppach has seen the complete development of Saline County, and has been identified with every enterprise for its good as well as for Benton's advancement. The respect accorded him is extensive. He and wife are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church, South.
J. P. Smith, Sr., a member of the substantial firm of J. P. Smith & Co., became engaged in his present business in 1886, a full and complete line of dry-goods and groceries being carried. Prior to that time he was occupied in business with H. S. Glenn. Mr. Smith was born in DeKalb County, Ga., in 1849, the second in a family of seven children born to J. M. and Elizabeth (Bradley) Smith. The father, a farmer by occupation, opened up a farm and engaged in agricultural pursuits, but in 1856 moved to Tippah County, Miss., where he remained three years, in 1859 coming to Saline County, Ark. He bought land in Hurricane Township, and also entered a quarter section of land there at 12 1/2 cents per acre, to which subsequent additions have been made. He then cleared over 100 acres, improved it, and made that his permanent home until his death, which occurred in 1885. He belonged to the Baptist Church, as did also his excellent wife, who survives him, and resides on the old homestead. Mr. J. P. Smith was reared to farm life, and educated in the schools of Saline County, being obliged to dig and delve at home for his education. He commenced farming for himself in Hurricane Township, but finally left the farm and came to Benton in 1879, where he has since been engaged, the first three years as clerk, and afterward in business for himself. The success accorded him is most encouraging. Mr. Smith was married in February, 1884, to Miss Mary Hutchinson, a native of Greene County, Ga. She was educated at the Female Seminary at Greensboro, Ga., and is a daughter of Charles and Mary Hutchinson. Her father came to Saline County in 1885, and died in 1886, but, her mother having died when she was quite young, she was reared by her grandparents. Mr. Hutchinson was sheriff of Greene County, Ga., for some years. Mr. Smith is a prominent Democrat, and a member of Benton Lodge No. 34, A.F.&A.M., of which he was worshipful master for two years, and is senior warden of the order at the present time. He has seen the full development of the county, and is conscious of having borne a part in its advancement; land that he once knew as swamps, covered with water, now form beautiful and highly cultivated farms. Mr. and Mrs. Smith are both members of the Methodist Episcopal Church, South.
Mack H. Staner, [McHenry Staner is his correct name per Staner researcher Carole Mayfield] prominent among the farmers and stock raisers of Jefferson Township, this county, was born in Tennessee in 1832. His father, Coonrad Staner, was a native of North Carolina, who married Miss Delila Holmes, of Tennessee nativity. They came to Arkansas about the year 1849, and settled in Saline County, where Mr. Staner purchased 120 acres of improved land, on which he resided until his death, in the year 1857. He was the father of eleven children, four of whom are living: Levanna (widow of George James, lives in Saline County), Polly (widow of John Morgan, lives in Perry County), Peter (lives in this county), Mack H. (the subject of this sketch) and Michael (living in Perry County). Mr. Staner believed in the principles of Democracy. He and his wife, who died about 1858, were members of the Methodist Episcopal Church. Their son, Mack, at the age of twenty-one years, began farming in this county on land he leased for four years. At the expiration of this lease, he rented until the death of his father, when he purchased the place on which he now resides, consisting of 120 acres with about 100 acres under cultivation, upon which are excellent buildings, barns, outhouses, etc. He raises a large number of horses and hogs, and realizes handsome profits. In 1861 he joined the Confederate army, enlisting in Company D, Eleventh Arkansas Infantry Regiment, and serving east of the Mississippi River. He participated in the following battles: Port Hudson (where he was promoted to lieutenant for meritorious service), Holly Springs, Miss., Island No. 10 and a number of minor engagements. In 1862 or 1863 he was captured at Island No. 10 and sent north to Camp Butler, Ill., where he was held for five months. After being paroled he came to Vicksburg, Miss., and thence to Port Hudson. When Vicksburg fell he was between the two places--Vicksburg and Port Hudson. His colonel, pressing horses into service, mounted his men and operated between the two places. Coming back to this side of the river in 1864, he rejoined the Confederacy in arms and served until the close of the war, surrendering at Benton, this county, in 1865. He returned home, but his solitary possession was the horse that carried him in the war. He prospered, however, and in 1866 was married to Miss Harriet Glenn, a native of this State. She and Mrs. Taylor were murdered in 1878, during the absence of Mr. Staner in Little Rock on business, the murderer being a nephew of Mack. His object was robbery, and he succeeded in getting some $200, but was hanged in Benton in 1879, after making a confession. Mr. Staner was married the second time to Miss Fannie Higginbotham, of Alabama, in 1883. She was born in 1862, the daughter of Henry and Rebecca (Franklin) Higginbotham, natives, respectively, of Alabama and South Carolina. Mr. and Mrs. Higginbotham were the parents of three children, two of whom are now living: David (deceased), J. H. (who resides in Texas) and Mrs. Staner. Mr. Higginbotham was first married to a Miss Little, who presented to him two children: William (residing in Pulaski County, Ark.) and James (deceased). Mr. Higginbotham died in 1862 and his wife in 1888. They were both members of the Methodist Episcopal Church. Mr. and Mrs. Staner, having no children, are rearing a little niece of Mrs. Staner, Florence Higginbotham. He is a member of Paran [sic should be Paron] Lodge No. 309, A.F.&A.M., and with his wife is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church. Being a strong Democrat he takes much interest in the politics of his county. He is also an active champion of schools, churches, etc. [Photo courtesy of Carole Mayfield]
Joseph Taylor, justly recognized as one of the prominent farmers of Brazil, Holland Township, owns a fine farm in Section 13, and is an agriculturist of worth and influence. He was born in Hot Spring County, in 1844, being the oldest in a family of nine children born to John and Sarah Frances (Bartlett) Taylor, natives of Missouri and Kentucky, respectively. John Taylor came to Saline County in 1841, and settled in what is now Jefferson Township, where he bought a farm, but has since moved several times. He still resides in Jefferson Township, his wife having passed from this life in 1874. Joseph Taylor was reared to farm life, attended the district schools of Jefferson Township, and later enlisted in the Federal army, at Little Rock, in 1863, joining Company M, of the Seventh Missouri Cavalry, for three years or during the war. He was in the battle of Marks' Mills, and served in other places with the obedience and patriotism of a true soldier. In 1865 he received an honorable discharge at Little Rock, when he returned to Saline County, and in October of that year bought a partially improved farm of 120 acres, which he further improved until now he has over seventy acres under cultivation, raising a good grade of cattle and horses. Mr. Taylor was married here, in 1865, to Lettia Robinson, a native of this county, and a daughter of David and Lucinda (James) Robinson. The former was a native of Missouri, and came to Saline County in 1840, settling in Dyer Township. His death occurred in 1880; his wife still survives, and lives on the old homestead. By this union nine children were born: Samuel (married, and lives in Jefferson Township), Robert, Sarah Ellen (now Mrs. R. Garrett, and who lives in Holland Township), Ruth B. (now Mrs. R. T. McDonald, also of this township), Daniel Sherman, Joseph Grant, Melissa Obedn, Lelitia and Elinora. Mr. and Mrs. Taylor are members of the Missionary Baptist Church. Mr. Taylor has been a participant in the growth of Saline County, and has watched with interest the development of a higher and better moral character in its inhabitants. His name is a synonym of honor wherever known.
Capt. W. W. Thompson, one of the pioneer settlers of Saline County, Ark., and a man whose reputation has not suffered by reason of long residence in this community, was born in Rhea County, East Tenn., in 1828, being the only child of Barbara Thompson. She was a native of Pennsylvania, her birth occurring in 1794, and she could just remember moving to Tennessee when but a child. That State was then a wilderness, inhabited by only a few people. She lived to the age of ninety years. Young Thompson grew to manhood on the home farm, receiving such an education as the subscription schools of Tennessee, his native State, afforded. There he was married in 1848 to Margaret Isabella Ferguson, a native of Tennessee, and a daughter of John and Myra (Cooper) Ferguson. Mr. Ferguson resided in Tennessee all of his life, his father, John Ferguson, having moved to that State from North Carolina, at a very early day. Grandfather Cooper moved from South Carolina to Tennessee, many years ago. He was one of Marion's soldiers in the Revolutionary War. Capt. Thompson left Tennessee in 1851; crossing to Saline County, Ark., he settled in what is now Shaw Township, where he entered land and improved it, clearing some twenty acres which he then sold and entered eighty acres in Shaw Township; of this he cleared sixty acres, and made that place his home until 1867, when he enlisted, in 1862, to Company B, Twenty-fifth Arkansas Infantry, for twelve months, as orderly-sergeant, after which he re-enlisted for three years or during the war. At the reorganization of his company after the battle of Corinth, he was made first lieutenant, thus serving until after the battle of Murfreesboro, in February 1863, when he was promoted to captain of his company, a position that he held until the close of the war. Capt. Thompson was in the battles of Richmond, Ky., Murfreesboro, Chickamauga and in all of the engagements of the Georgia campaign, except while in the hospital during sickness caused from exposure. He was paroled in 1865, at Little Rock, and returned to Saline County, again engaging in farming. In 1868 he traded his land for a farm on the river, which he occupied until 1870, also operating a steam-mill, and at that time moved to Benton. During the ten years of his residence there, he took an active part in politics, and was elected sheriff in 1872 on the Democratic ticket, which office he held for four terms, to his own credit and the satisfaction of all concerned. He has also held the positions of junior warden and senior warden in the Masonic lodge, of which he is a member. Besides he belongs to Benton Lodge No. 34, A.F.&A.M., and to Saline Lodge No. 1317, Knights of Honor. In 1880 Capt. Thompson left Benton, moving to his present farm of 300 acres, 100 acres of which are under a high state of cultivation. He in addition has the control of over 300 acres. Capt. Thompson and wife are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church. They are the parents of seven children: Mary (now Mrs. Stowers), Tennessee Jane (now Mrs. Shoppach, residing near by), William A. (married and in the county), Richard H. (married and in Texas, where he is engaged in farming), John, Samuel and Nora Lee. They have given their children a good education. Capt. Thompson is practically a self-made man, having gained all that he is worth by his own industry and frugality. His acquaintance is a wide and honored one.