Hot Spring County, Arkansas, Goodspeed Biographies
George M. Floyd
George M. Floyd was born in Spartenburg District, S. C., on May 4, 1845, his parents being Enoch and Sarah (Scott) Floyd, natives of South Carolina. They are now deceased. The father was a farmer by occupation, born in 1806, and died in Georgia, in 1850; his wife, whose birth occurred in 1809, passed away in Hot Spring County, Ark., in 1871. They were married in South Carolina, and afterward moved to Bartow County, Ga., living there until separated by death. The Widow, in 1871, settled in Rockport, Ark. She became, by her marriage with Mr. Floyd, the mother of ten children, six of whom are now living. George M. Floyd received his education in Bartow County, Ga., remaining with his mother until her death. When but nine years of age he began to help in the duties about the home farm, continuing to aid in the support of the family until Mrs. Floyd's death. In August, 1861, he enlisted in Company A, Eighth Georgia Battalion, in which he served till the surrender at Greensboro, N. C., in 1865, having participated in many battles, among which were those at Savannah, Ga., Charleston, S. C., and Jackson, Miss. He was in the Georgia campaign from Dalton, and took part in all the battles around Atlanta, received a flesh-wound from a gunshot at Kenesaw Mountain, which disabled him and he was furloughed for thirty days. Afterward he was in the battles at Franklin and Nashville, and was taken prisoner at Jackson, Miss., but making his escape, he returned to Georgia. Here he farmed until October, 1868, when he came to Arkansas, his outfit consisting of one twenty-year-old mule, a wagon, $35, his wife and baby. After six weeks on the road, he stopped in Boone County, and farmed for one year, then coming to Hot Spring County, where he has since made his home. Farming first received his attention, after which he went to Malvern, and one year later opened the Floyd Hotel, conducting this well-known hostelry one year. He next opened a livery, feed and sale stable, which he has since continued to run, meeting with good success. In November, 1884, he lost his stable and business house on Main Street by fire, but not discouraged speedily resumed. Again, in October, 1888, fire visited his property on Olive Street, consuming eleven head of good horses and all his livery rigs. Although suffering many set-backs in business, Mr. Floyd upon the whole has been very fortunate. In 1874 he was elected sheriff of Hot Spring County to fill the unexpired term of Thomas D. Farris, serving eighteen months. He has been elected mayor of the city of Malvern several times, besides being called upon to service various town offices, now officiating as alderman. In January, 1867, he was married to Miss Nettie Pierce, who was born in Georgia, in 1850. She died in this county in 1871, leaving two children, one of whom, Minnie, is the wife of T. J. Laughlin, liveryman at Hot Springs, Ark.;; Alice died at the age of eleven years. In 1873 Mr. Floyd was married to Miss Bettie Kieth, who was a native of this county. She only survived her marriage one year. His third marriage was to Miss Agnes House, also of Arkansas, who died in November, 1882, at the age of thirty-one years, leaving a family of three children, two now living: James A. and George M., Jr. Agnes L. died in infancy. Mr. Floyd is a Royal Arch Mason and a member of the Democratic party. He is one of the public-spirited men of the county, heartily indorsing [sic] all public improvements, and the many capacities in which he has served leave no doubt as to the position he occupies in the respect and esteem of his fellow citizens. Hot Spring County has in him a warm advocate.
Moses P. Goodman
Moses P. Goodman, a well-known and popular citizen of Hot Spring County, residing in Harrison Township, was born in Henderson County, Tenn., in 1831, and is a son of Clales and Pollie (Cammell) Goodman, both natives of North Carolina. The father was a prominent father in his native State as also in Tennessee, emigrating to the latter State at an early day and residing there until the year 1834. He next moved to Tippah County, Miss., being a pioneer of that place, and in the year 1848 came to Hot Spring County, Ark., where he purchased land, improved it and became one of the most influential planters in that section, until his death in 1870, at the age of eighty-three years. The mother died in 1863, at the age of sixty-five years, and, like the father, was a devoted member of the Baptist Church. They were the parents of nine children, of whom three are yet living: William R. (a leading citizen of Grant County, Ark.), Moses P. (the principal in this sketch) and Artie M. (wife of Thomas Cheneweth, of Calhoun County, Ark.). Moses P. Goodman came to this county with his parents when a lad of eighteen years, and as the country was new, he spent the greater portion of the first few years in assisting his father clear up and improve the land. In 1852 he was married to Miss Nancy A. Selph, of Gibson County, Tenn., but lost his excellent wife in 1870, who left seven children. In 1871 he again married, his second wife being Miss Josephine Berry, a native of Arkansas, by whom he had five children: Daniel B. (residing at home), Nancy (wife of M. F. Harkins, of this county), John Thomas, Joseph A. Goodman and one deceased. The children by his first wife were March M. (wife of A. B. York, of Columbia County, Ark.), Sarah (wife of Love Johnson [see biographical sketch below], of Hot Spring County), W. F. (residing in Texas), Robert P. (at Malvern), Martha Ann (wife of William Johnson, of Saline County), James M. (now residing in Columbia County, Ark.) and Caleb L. Goodman (residing in Hot Spring County, Ark.). Mr. and Mrs. Goodman are both members of the Baptist Church, as was also his first wife, and are earnest Christian people. Mr. Goodman is deacon of his church, and takes an active part in all of its affairs. During the Civil War he served three years in the Confederate army with distinction. After that event he found himself as poor as when he first started in life, but by the most untiring energy and perseverance, he has again placed himself on an independent basis, and owns about 200 acres of the most productive land in that section. Mr. Goodman is a representative citizen, and liberal in his aid to all enterprises that have a tendency to advance the affairs of his county, and is specially interested in educational matters.
James R. Harrison
James R. Harrison was born in Hardeman County, Tenn., on October 27, 1843, and is the son of David M. and Elizabeth (Forsythe) Harrison, natives of Maury County, Tenn. The father still lives in this county at the age of sixty-nine years, the mother dying in 1888, at the age of sixty-eight years. James Harrison came to Hot Spring County, Ark., with his parents in 1857, where he has since resided, remaining on his farm except during the war, when he served in the Confederate army as a member of the Eleventh Arkansas Infantry. He joined the cavalry after eighteen mothers' service, and was taken prisoner at Island No. 10, from which place he was taken to Fort Douglas, and detained for seven months and eighteen days, suffering all the hardships and privation of northern prison life. After being exchanged, he returned to the Eleventh Arkansas Infantry, serving until the close of the war, when he returned to his farm. In 1866 he was married to Louisa Session, daughter of William Session, of Hardeman County, Tenn. The fruits of this marriage were seven children: Charles A., Daniel M., Mary E., Henry J. and James J. Mr. Harrison is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, South, and an interested person in anything that pertains to the welfare of religious movements. He is Democratic, politically, and has served since 1882 as justice of the peace of his township, being successfully elected at each election. Nothing in the nature of an enterprise for public improvement fails for want of Mr. Harrison's support. He is public spirited and philanthropic.
J. M. Henry
J. M. Henry, present assessor of Hot Spring County, is a native of Rhea County, Tenn., and was born in 1837, being the son of Henry and Martha J. (Montgomery) Henry, both natives of Tennessee. Mr. Henry Henry moved from Tennessee to Georgia, remaining there until 1858, and then emigrating to Hot Spring County, Ark. In 1879 the entire family removed to Cass County, Tex., where Mr. Henry's death occurred the following year, at the age of sixty-five. His first wife, the mother of the subject of this article, died when J. M. was a small boy. Mr. Henry then married Malinda Cook, also a native of Tennessee. By his first wife he became the father of six children: Elizabeth (now the widow of Jonathan Austin, of Northern Alabama), Matilda (wife of A. H. Rogers, of Alabama), Francis M. (lives in Texas), Marquis L. (now deceased, and who was a soldier in the Sixth Georgia Infantry, Confederate army, killed at the battle of Seven Pines), J. M. (our subject) and Andrew J. (deceased, also a soldier in the Confederate army). By his second wife he became the father of three children: George W. (a resident of Hot Springs), Malinda (a resident of Texas) and Ellison C. (also of Texas). Mr. Henry was a member of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church, and was a soldier in the Seminole War. J. M. Henry was reared on a farm, obtaining an education in the common schools, and at the age of about twenty-one, or in 1858, came to Pike County, Ark., where he engaged in farming. The following year, 1859, he went to Hopkins County, Tex., and in 1860, came to Ouachita County, Ark., where he was occupied as a farm hand. In 1861 he farmed for himself in Polk County, and also enlisted in Company H, Fourth Arkansas Infantry, in which he served through the war, taking part in the battles of Pea Ride, Jackson, Chickamauga, Kenesaw Mountain, Peach Tree Creek, Atlanta, Jonesboro, Nashville. He was twice slightly wounded. After the close of the war he was employed as a watchman at Nashville, Tenn., for one year. Returning to Arkansas and settling in Magnet Cove Township on a farm, he rented the same for two years, at the end of which time he bought a partially improved place of 240 acres, and here he still lives, having added to it until he now has a fine farm of 640 acres, mostly improved, and a quarter section of land in Jackson County. Mr. Henry was married in June, 1866, to Mrs. Susan Miller (nee Chamberlain), a native of Lincoln County, Tenn., and a daughter of W. P. Chamberlain, a pioneer of this county. Mr. and Mrs. Henry are the parents of five children: Elizabeth (wife of W. C. Garrett, of this county), Francis M. (now a student at Fayetteville, Ark.), Alice (now a student at Ward Seminary, Nashville, Tenn.), Jennie (also a student at the same place) and Samuel (who is at home). Mr. and Mrs. Henry are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church, South. The former is also a member of the A.F.&A.M. He has been justice of the peace for two years, and county assessor for the last twelve years (except during the service of James H. McCammon, 1882-88), which office he now holds. He has acquitted himself n a most creditable manner as one of the county's officials, and is recognized as a faithful, painstaking incumbent of this office.
B. Hodges, well and favorably known hereabouts, was born in Sumter County, Ga., on November 18, 1835. His father moved to Alabama in the 40's, remaining there for about two years, when he returned to his old home in Georgia. During his fourteen years here, his son worked on the farm, and just one year previous to his father's second removal to Alabama, at the age of twenty years, B. Hodges was married to Mary Ann Harold, a native of Dooly County, Ga. After only eighteen months of wedded bliss, his wife died, and he returned to his father, with whom he remained four years. He then returned to Macon County, Ga., where he was married the second time. Martha Ann Falford became the wife and bore him a family of ten children: Mary Jane (born August 20, 1861), Henry S. (born December 1, 1863), Martha Ann Fernetta (born August 7, 1866, died March 12, 1884), Andrew Jackson (born May 23, 1869), Charles (born May 7, 1871), Theresa Alabama (born May 12, 1874), William Allen (born June 12, 1876), Joseph Floyd (born May 17, 1879), David K. (born October 29, 1881), Carrie May (born February 5, 1886). In 1874 Mr. Hodges emigrated to Hot Spring County, Ark., settling on Bayou Creek, about twelve miles southwest of Malvern, where he remained six years, then purchasing his present place of 120 acres, which he cultivates in a thorough manner. He enlisted in the Confederate army in 1862, joining the Tenth Georgia Battalion, and was afterward transferred to Wade Hampton's cavalry, remaining in this till he was surrendered at Augusta, Ga., in April 1865. Returning home, he soon went to Jackson County, Fla., remaining two years, when he again came to Alabama, his home for some years. Mr. Hodges united with the Missionary Baptist Church in the fall of 1856. He is one of the prosperous farmers of Hot Spring County, imbued with the spirit of progress and championing all worthy public enterprises.
Thomas Holt, the son of David and Selina (Seay) Holt, was born in Amelia County, Va., March 19, 1813. David Holt was born October 11, 1785, and reared on the farm in Amelia County, Va. He joined the army in the War of 1812, and served until its close, dying in Shelby County, Tenn., in 1852. Selina (Seay) Holt was born in Amelia County, on March 23, 1783, and moved to Hot Spring County, Ark., in 1856, where she died September 10, the following year--1857. Thomas Holt was reared in Danville, Pittsylvania County, Va., where he obtained a fair education in the old field school in that vicinity. At the age of fifteen, in 1826, he commenced business as a boat builder. He followed this until 1833, when he moved to Rutherford County, Tenn., where he worked at wagon-making for about three years. Then, moving to Tippah County, Miss., he followed his business for three more years, next going to Shelby County, Tenn., where he built and operated a large mill until the year 1856. Hot Springs County, Ark., then attracted his attention, and here he erected and operated a mill on the Ouachita River, near Rockport, until the commencement of the late war. When hostilities ceased he put up a mill at Hot Springs, Garland County; but soon leaving this, he moved to his present home in Magnet Cove, and since 1870 has worked at farming and wagon-making. He owns twenty acres of land and a comfortable home. In 1860 he was married to Melinda Sloan, widow of William Sloan, and daughter of James and Sarah (Fenter) Martin. Alexander H. Holt, their oldest son, was born in 1861, and is now practicing medicine at Point Cedar, Hot Spring County. The parents are both active members of the Christian Church, keeping Saturday for the Sabbath. Thomas Holt is the author of three diagrams of a religious nature, one illustrating conversion one indicating what baptism is intended for, and one diagram illustrates the gospel of Jesus Christ, the Son of God. Thomas Holt has always been identified with enterprises tending to enhance the conditions of the county, contributing as largely as his means would permit.
C. B. Horn
C. b. Horn, a well-known and enterprising farmer of Saline Township, Hot Spring County, was born in Henderson County, Tenn., in 1835, and is a son of William A. and Pollie (Jamdon) Horn, natives of North Carolina. The father was a prosperous and highly respected farmer and mechanic in his native State. C. B. Horn was reared and instructed in the duties of farm life, receiving very few educational advantages, and remained with his parents until his twenty-second year, when he was married to Miss Mahala Smith, a daughter of James and Claricy (Allen) Smith, natives of North Carolina, the latter a daughter of a famous Revolutionary soldier. After his marriage Mr. Horn rented a farm for a number of years in Tennessee, but afterward purchased sixty acres of land which he improved and cultivated up to 1881. Then, in order to give his children better educational advantages, he moved to Hot Spring County, Ark., where he homesteaded his present farm. He now owns 120 acres of valuable land, which he has cleared from the wilderness and made productive, placing himself on an independent basis in the world. Thirteen children were born to his marriage: Claricy C. (wife of Mr. N. S. Thomas, of this county), James (a farmer, married Miss Emma), daughter of John Darmon), Malinda E. (wife of Lee Sims), Charley (married Miss Mollie Moer), Mattie (wife of Lewis Wallis), Harriet (who was the wife of Mr. Samuel Sims, but now deceased), Letha (wife of Mr. Jesse Wallis), Joseph A. (a farmer in Texas), Mary Delaney, Major S., Richard T. (deceased), Darthula J. and Hettie. Mr. and Mrs. Horn have been devoted members of the Missionary Baptist Church for a great many years, in which the former holds the office of deacon, and both are active workers in religious matters. It has always been their desire to rear and educate their children to become Christian men and women, and in this they have succeeded well, and now the father and mother can spend their declining years in the contented thought that they have done their duty. During the Civil War, Mr. Horn served in the Confederate army, and took part in a great number of battles, principally in Middle Tennessee. He fought gallantly for his cause, and never shirked his duty, and many times was captured by the enemy, but each time made his escape in a daring manner. His life has been an honorable one and without a stain upon his character, and the high respect in which he is held is no more than his due.
Love Johnson, a leading citizen of this county, first saw the light of day in Henderson County, Tenn., on December 24, 1842. He is the son of William and Nancy Johnson, both natives of South Carolina. The father died in Henderson County, in 1844, at the age of sixty-two years, but the mother lived till 1856, dying at the age of fifty-six. Mr. Johnson had been previously married, becoming by that union the father of four children, all now deceased: Stephen, Alexander, Mary and William. Four of his last wife's children are livign: Sheard (a miller of Hot Spring County), Jackson (a farmer of this county), Evalline (wife of E. B. Deer, of Grant County), and Love; those deceased are Nancy (wife of James Lemonds), Troy and Eli. Mr. Johnson had spent the most of his life in farming and flat-boating on the Beach River, being very successful in both. He went to Tennessee in 1835 or 1836. In the War of 1812, he served as a soldier, participating in several battles. He and his wife were members of the Missionary Baptist Church. Love Johnson lived with his mother till her death in 1856, when he made his home with his brother-in-law, E. B. Deer, for two years. He then came to this county, and has been doing for himself ever since, as a farmer. In April, 1861, he enlisted in the Twelfth Arkansas Infantry, and served until the fall of Port Hudson in 1863, taking part in numerous engagements, among which were Shiloh, Perryville and Port Hudson. During his service he saw many hairbreadth escapes and thrilling experiences. Soon after the war closed he went to Texas and New Mexico, where he engaged in the stock business, with varied success, for seven years. He then returned to this county, and is now the owner of a well-improved farm, in the cultivation of which he has been very successful. In 1874 he married Sarah E. Goodman, daughter of M. P. Goodman [see biographical sketch above], born in this county, in 1855. By this union there were seven children: Nancy E., Leon, Rosetta, Ada L., Anna B., Allen P. and Eli Love (who died in infancy). Mr. Johnson and wife are members of the Missionary Baptist Church, he officiating as treasurer. He is also a Royal Arch Mason. He is a Democrat, and has served as bailiff for Ouachita Township for four years. At the last election, he was elected justice of the peace of Harrison Township. In progressiveness he is one of the leading citizens of Hot Spring County, always favoring that which will assist in building up the community.
John W. Keith
John W. Keith is a son of John F. Keith (deceased), who was one of the early settlers of this county, and whose death occurred in 1862, while in the Confederate service in the late war. John F. Keith was the father of three children: John W. Keith (the principal in this sketch), Elizabeth (deceased, wife of George Floyd), and Laura B. (now Mrs. McCammor, of Malvern). Their mother died on December 25, 1873. John W. Keith was born in Hot Spring County, in 1850, and was reared on the farm and educated in the subscription school of that county. He was married June 3, 1871, to Saphire J. Nichols, a native of Missouri, by which marriage he had eight children: Mary B. (now a student at Jackson, Tenn.), Sophia (also a student at Jackson), Amanda E., John H., Ollive, Willie, Dick and an infant. Mr. Keith is a local minister of the Methodist Episcopal Church, of which his wife is also a member. He owns a fine farm of 500 acres, 300 of which are under cultivation, and is considered one of the best farmers in the county. He held the office of county clerk from 1874 to 1882, which position he filled with credit to himself, and to the entire satisfaction of the community. His life, while perhaps not an especially eventful one, has been of commendable influence, and the respect and esteem accorded him but fitly illustrates his character. He enjoys a large acquaintance.
Hodge Kimzey was born in Walker County, Ga., January 10, 1850, and is the son of Joshua T. and Louisiana D. (Thompson) Kimzey, the former of whom was born in Buncombe County, N. C., June 3, 1818. Moving to Alabama at the age of twenty-five years, he was married at Oakville, January 28, 1842, and engaged in merchandising, doing a prosperous business; and although a young man at that time he held various offices, both civil and military, having received a good military training. The issue of this union was as follows, all living in South Arkansas: Vallient, Ann Rebecca, Hodge, William J., James Oscar, Mary L., Josiphine R., Laura Lee, Robert Lee and Alice. In 1852, Col. J. T. Kimzey removed to Itawamba County, Miss., and thence to Van Buren County, Ark., in August, 1858, at the age of forty-five years. Here he engaged in farming, owning good property in land and slaves. At the commencement of the late war he commanded the Twenty-second Regiment of Arkansas Militia, doing some active service as a Confederate officer. He held with credit many county offices during his long residence there. After the war he did much to help mitigate the ill feelings which of necessity were engendered during the trying ordeal through which our country passed, and thereby made many friends of both parties, who never failed to bestow upon him the honors of office whenever he desired their suffrages. In 1874 he removed to Magnet Cove, Hot Spring County, where he died one year later at the age of sixty-two. He was the son of William and Rebecca (Williamson) Kimzey. Louisiana D. Thompson, his wife, was born in Lawrence County, Ala., as the daughter of William and Ann (Wood) Thompson. She is still living at Magnet Cove, Hot Spring County, with her three unmarried children: Ann Rebecca, Robert Lee and Alice Kimzey. At the age of eight years, Hodge Kimzey removed with his parents to Van Buren County, Ark., where he was reared and educated in the country schools, receiving a fair education. He was for years correspondent for several Arkansas and other papers, and gained some celebrity as a humorous writer. In 1874 he removed with his father to Magnet Cove, where he engaged in farming to some extent, and extensively in mineral collecting, selling rare cabinet specimens to Eastern dealers. He owns a good farm in Magnet Cove. December 15, 1875, he was married to C. Hattie Mitchell, daughter of Melmoth C. and Alabama O. (Robinson) Mitchell. Melmoth Mitchell was born in Memphis, Tenn., July 28, 1827, and died in Magnet Cove in July, 1861. Mrs. A. O. Mitchell now resides in Magnet Cove. She was born July 16, 1830, was reared and educated near Athens, Ala., and married Mr. Mitchell November 9, 1851. Mr. Kimzey has two children living. The eldest son is Oscar Robert (who was born June 14, 1883), and the younger, Fleming Thornton (born March 22, 1887). Mr. Kimzey enlisted in the Confederate army in June, 1864, at the early age of fourteen years. He first joined Capt. Christopher's company of partisans, and in a few days thereafter they were led into an ambuscade, and under a galling fire this gallant leader and several of his men were slain. Then Capt. John Bradley assumed command. Under his daring leadership a few days after, on a bright July morning, a dash was made upon a battalion of Federals at Ashley Station on Grand Prairie. It was a superb cavalry charge, and perhaps none bloodier in the annals of this State during those tempestuous days. Several of the enemy were captured, and many men and horses went down in a few brief moments, as the enemy used the railroad embankments to shield them from the Confederate fire. Here Mr. Kimzey had his horse shot from under him. Scarce a week passed in 1864 that did not mark a bloody chapter in the wild mountain passes of Little Red River, where both parties had well-night discarded the rules of civilized warfare with a blind and fiery zeal, born of hate and revenge, sparing none whom they deemed able to shoulder a musket. At this juncture Gen. Price made the memorable raid with 25,000 cavalry, fighting his way through Missouri and Kansas. Hodge Kimzey, with Capt. Bradley's company, Col. A. R. Witt's regiment, took part in the perilous scenes incident to this last unfortunate, nevertheless heroic effort, to reclaim Arkansas and his own native State from the hand of the enemy. Although history proclaims it a signal failure, it was fraught with many grand achievements, such as tried men's souls. At Lexington, Pilot Knob, Kansas City and more than a dozen other engagements he took part. The last desperate engagement occurred at Newtonia, Mo., near the Arkansas line. After this Mr. Kimzey returned, home, and a few days later, in a skirmish with a detachment of Illinois troops, was captured and taken to Little Rock, from which place, after undergoing some thrilling experience, he made his escape and returned home, and in a short time, in company with many others, surrendered at Searcy to a Dutch captain, who held that post with Minnesota troops. His wife is an active member of the Methodist Church at Magnet Cove. He is a member of the Masonic order, and an active worker in all judicious enterprises.
John Henry Lecroy
John Henry Lecroy was born in Newton County, Ga., September 12, 1831, the son of John and Docia (Dickason) Lecroy. John Lecroy moved to Benton, Saline County, Ark., in 1851, where he engaged in farming until 1862, when he went to Texas. Returning to this State in the following year, he settled in Hot Spring County, where he died in the spring of 1886. Docia Lecroy came originally from North Carolina. She moved to Hot Spring County in 1851, and here died in 1862. John H. Lecroy was reared in Autauga County, Ala., where he had very poor facilities for obtaining an education. In 1853 he began farming in Saline County, Ark., continuing until the opening of the late war, when he enlisted in the First Arkansas Cavalry, Monroe's regiment, Company H, in 1862. At the skirmish of Cotton Plant he had his horse shot from under him. Serving throughout the war he returned home in the spring of 1865. He was first married in the spring of 1855, to Elizabeth Crooks, daughter of Josia and Tilda Crooks. There were five children born to this union: William (born in 1857, died in 1859), Josephine (born in 1859), Willie (born in 1861, died in 1865), Calata (born in 1863) and Joshua (born March 4, 1874). Mr. Lecroy was married the second time to Mary E. Orr, in 1882. The only son born to them is John Henry, Jr., who saw the light of day on April 17, 1887. At the close of the war Mr. Lecroy embarked in the saw-mill business, which he continues, in connection with farming. He owns a large saw-mill and 600 acres of land, with 200 acres under cultivation, and by his industry and enterprise has won for himself a substantial reputation as one of the county's representative citizens.
William D. Leiper
William D. Leiper, the present editor of The Arkansas Meteor, published at Malvern, started upon a professional career as editor in August, 1883. He was born in Beaver County, Penn., in 1825, and was the son of Hugh and Esther (Harper) Leiper. His paternal grandfather, James Leiper, came to this country from the North of Ireland shortly after the Revolutionary War, and settled in Pennsylvania. Hugh Leiper was born in that State, in 1798. He followed farming all his life, and was a member of the Presbyterian Church. The maternal grandfather of William D. was James Harper, whose parents were Scotch, and who came to this country shortly after the Revolutionary War. He was a relative of Gen. Goodlow Harper, of Revolutionary fame. He also settled in Beaver County, Penn. Mrs. Leiper was his fifth child. William D. Leiper had eleven brothers and sisters, seven of whom are still living. He graduated at Jefferson College in 1851, after which he commenced the study of law and theology as a resident graduate for two years. He then came to Memphis, Tenn., and accepted a position as principal of an academy at Stanton's Depot, Tenn., which he held for two years and a half. He then moved to Tulip, Dallas County, Ark., in 1857, and was there put in charge of the military academy of the State at that place. He remained in control of that institution until 1860, when he resigned and went into the mercantile business, thus continuing until the year 1861. Then he enlisted as a private in the Third Arkansas Infantry, Confederate army, and served until after the battle of Bull Run, when he received his discharge on account of poor health. Returning to Arkansas, he assisted in raising a company of cavalry, and was commissioned its first lieutenant. His company was then transferred to the Second Arkansas Cavalry, commanded by Col. W. F. Slemons. In 1862 Mr. Leiper was commissioned captain in the quartermaster's department, on his staff, and served in that capacity until he was finally made major. He participated in the battles of Corinth, Coldwater, West Point, Miss., Hernando, Miss., and a number of others. After the war he was engaged in the mercantile business for two years at Tulip, his old home. He then resumed charge of the military academy again for the next nine years at that place, after which he moved to Malvern and took the superintendency of the city schools, which position he held for over four years, when he again went into the mercantile business, carrying on the same for three years. He bought out the Meteor in 1883, and is still editing and publishing this representative journal. Mr. Leiper was married in December, 1865, to Perscilla Macon, a native of Tennessee. They are the parents of five children: Willie H. (now wife of Lenard Bratt, of Malvern), Mary F., Samuel H., Macon A. and Ester A. Mr. Leiper and wife are members of the Presbyterian Church, and take an active part in the Sunday-school, of which he has been superintendent for the last five years; in May, 1889, he represented the church as a lay delegate at the general assembly at Chattanooga. In 1874 he was elected delegate from Dallas County to the constitutional convention, and has several times been a delegate to the State convention. He is president of the County Emigration Society, and a member of the executive committee of the State Emigration Society, and has been county examiner of schools since 1882. As a citizen it is but the truth to say that Mr. Leiper stands among the foremost of the residents of Hot Spring County. His well-known characteristics and honorable traits of manhood have drawn about him a large circle of friends, and in public as well as private circles his word is held in high regard.
Judge Hugh McCallum
Judge Hugh McCallum has been a resident of Arkansas since February 2, 1852. He is a native of Moore County, N. C., where he was born December 25, 1822, being the son of John and Christian McCallu, both of Scotch parentage. The paternal grandfather, Duncan McCallum, was born in Scotland and emigrated to this country prior to the Revolutionary War, in which he took part, being under Gen. Green, and serving until the close of that struggle. After this he settled in Moore County, N. C., on a farm, where he was married to Mary McDuffy, also of Scotch parentage, and where he died at an old age. The father of our subject, John McCallum, was reared on a farm in North Carolina, making it his home until his death in 1858, at the age of seventy years. He left six children, of whom Hugh is the only survivor. John was a soldier in the late war, in the Confederate service, and died at Fayetteville, N. C., from wounds received; Archibald D., also a soldier in the Confederate service, died form wounds in Moore County, N. C., leaving two children; Malcolm died of brain fever after the battle of Helena, Ark., leaving one child; Angus died as prisoner of war at Fort Elmira, N. Y., leaving one child; and flora died at the old homestead. Young McCallum was reared on the farm, and at the age of nineteen, went into the county clerk's office of Monroe County, N. C., as deputy. He had obtained a good education while attending the common schools in the falls and winters, and subsequently took what money he had earned in the clerk's office, and attended the Carthage Institute, where he completed his education. In 1850 he was married to Mary A. Blue, of Moore County, NC., In the fall of the next year they moved to Hot Spring County, settling in what is now Garland County, on the South Fork of the Saline River, coming all the way in a wagon, and being over two months in making the journey. In the spring of 1852, Mr. McCallum rented a farm in Hot Spring County, and the following fall bought a partially improved place of forty acres, where he lived for eight years. In 1860 he was elected clerk of the circuit court. He then moved to Rockport, at that time the county seat, remaining during his term of office, when he enlisted in the Confederate Army State Troops, in which he served one year. In 1864, while still in service, he was again elected clerk, and held the office one term. After the war he was appointed clerk by Gov. Murphy; the term expiring he was elected in 1866, but in 1868 the reconstruction act turned him out, and Mr. McCallum commenced the practice of law. This he has since followed with great success. In 1874 he was elected to the State Senate, representing his constituents in an able and efficient manner for two years. In 1886 he was elected county judge and served one term. Judge McCallum has always been an active man in public affairs, and was one of the prime movers in building the present court house, which is a credit to the county. His influence is widely felt, and while not a man to desire notoriety, his well-spent and useful life has given him an honorable and substantial reputation. He and his wife were the parents of five children, who grew to manhood and womanhood: Harriet E. (now Mrs. Pryor of Malvern), Christian E. J. (deceased, who married Sam. Kunkel, and mother of three children), Mary A. (now Mrs. Herren of Omaha, Tex.), Jasper (who resides in Malvern) and Annie (at home). Judge and Mrs. McCallum have been members of the Baptist Church since 1853, and have always taken an active part in all church work. He has also been a member of Rockport Lodge No. 58. A.F.&A.M., since 1865, and during his life has voted the Democratic ticket.
David A. McCollough
David A. McCollough, the subject of this sketch, was born in Columbia County, Ark., in a little village called Liddesdale, just preceding the Civil War. He was the sixth child of Thomas D. and S. L. (Curry) McCollough, natives of South Carolina and Georgia, respectively, who emigrated to Arkansas in the year 1857. Thomas D. McCollough was engaged in the mercantile business at Liddesdale before the war, an occupation to which he afterward devoted himself. He was also quite an extensive farmer. Though at heart a Union man, when his adopted State seceded he linked his fortunes with the Confederacy, and went out early to battle for its cause. When the war was over he was considerably crippled financially, as he was rather a large slave-owner, which property he lost as a result of civil strife. November 11, 1873, at the age of forty-nine years, he died. He was a Royal Arch Mason, and took much interest in that order. No man in Columbia County was more greatly esteemed for his honesty, generosity and high moral character than he. He was also a strict and consistent member of the Baptist Church. On account of his willingness to do such an extensive credit business, his failure to collect forced him to discontinue mercantile trade a short while previous to his death. At the time of the death of his father, David was thirteen years of age. Thinking Arkansas not large enough for him at that age, he went to Texas and secured a position in his uncle's store at Craigleville, Van Zandt County. After one year he returned to Arkansas and attended school the next two years, following which he taught school, attended store and farmed one year. Subsequently, he and his brother, John L. McCullough, founded the little town of Longstreet, where they were engaged in the mercantile business. Leaving there David went to Texas, and with a partner was engaged in the grocery business and tie-contracting. Happening to be unfortunate in that transaction, on account of fire, he again returned to Arkansas, and with his elder brother, J. C. McCollough, carried on the business of a retail grocer in Magnolia. During this time he was also a law student under Col. J. M. Kelso. Closing out in that town, he traveled one year throughout Texas and the northwest territories, finally settling in Sherman, Tex., where he conducted a large broom-manufacturing business. Selling out in Texas, he took the contract to carry the mail on the Princeton and Malvern route. One year later he purchased the Malvern Weekly News, which he changed to the Arkansas State Journal, January 26, 1888, and which he is still running. Mr. McCollough was elected justice of the peace at the general election, September 4, 1888. He is still having the mail carried, is farming, and is thinking of going into the real estate business on an extensive scale. His enterprise is recognized wherever he is known, and certainly no one deserves success more than he.
John J. Miles
John J. Miles is prominent among the substantial citizens of Fenter Township. He has been a resident of the county since September, 1865, though a native of New York State, and the son of James H. and Abigail (Tyler) Miles. His father was of Pennsylvania nativity, born in Erie County in 1805, and was a maker of edge tools by trade. In 1841 James H. Miles emigrated to Osage County, Mo., where his wife died in 1846. He was afterward killed in an accident. Both he and his wife were members of the Methodist Church. John Miles' paternal grandfather, Thomas Miles, was a native of Ireland, and followed the profession of civil engineering. He came to this country at an early day and received a large tract of land from the United States for his services as engineer. Mr. Miles also took part in the War of 1812. The maternal grandfather was of Scotch birth and became located in America prior to the Revolutionary War, in which he took part, being with Washington at Valley Forge. J. J. Miles left home at the age of thirteen, and was employed on a canal-boat driving mules for about a year. The next season he was engaged as cabin-boy on a vessel on the lakes, after which he shipped on board an Atlantic vessel, where he was occupied for eight years, filling almost every position from cabin-boy to mate, and during which time he visited the coast of Africa, West India Islands, South America, England, France and the Baltic Sea. He was crippled by falling from the rigging of the ship to the deck, and consequently was compelled to give up the life of a sailor. He then embarked as a mate on a Mississippi steamer and followed the river for about five years. When the Civil War broke out he enlisted at Fort Smith, Ark., in Reid's battery (which was attached to the Third Louisiana Regiment) and served in that company until the fall of Vicksburg. Mr. Miles took part in the battles of Oak Hill, Elk Horn and Vicksburg. After the war he came to Rockport, where he ran a ferry for about twenty years with J. H. Alexander. he afterward bought a piece of wild land, which he improved, living upon it until his removal to the farm he now owns. Mr. Miles was first married in 1860 to Elizabeth Margaret Young, a native of Tennessee, who died June 19, 1871. He was again married July 29, 1880, to Mrs. Davis, a widow lady, whose maiden name was Sallie A. Braly, a native of Tennessee. Mr. Miles now has no children of his own, having lost five, but he has a step-son. He now owns a fine farm of 600 acres, and has a splendid home. He has served as justice of the peace for twenty years, deputy county clerk for six years, and at the same time holding the office of deputy sheriff, and has held the position of school director for a number of years. Mrs. Miles is a member of the Methodist Church. Mr. Miles belongs to the A.F.&A.M., in which he has held the office of secretary for several years.
Dr. W. T. Morehead
Dr. W. T. Morehead was born in Washington County, Ky., in the year 1818, the son of J. T. and Sarah A. (Thomson) Morehead. Both parents died when the prospective doctor was but twelve years old, leaving him to the care of his grandfather, an old Revolutionary soldier and a successful farmer. At the latter's death, the lad was left to shift for himself. While his parents lived, he had mastered the rudiments of an education, and when his grandfather died he left his native county for Fayette County. Here he worked in various capacities for two years, husbanding his means thus gained for the acquisition of more learning. He was assisted some by his two great-uncles, J. T. Morehead, then Governor of Kentucky, and Charles S. Morehead, United States senator from Kentucky. At the expiration of two years W. T. Morehead began teaching school. He taught nine months in Fayette County, then returned to his native county, where he taught a term of six months. At this time, 1838, meeting an uncle who had been traveling in Arkansas and Texas, he learned of the beauty and fertility of that country and immediately concluded to go west. Adopting the primitive mode of locomotion, he struck out for the Ohio River. Reaching that, he continued his journey on water. After six days of traveling he reached Little Rock, on the 6th of June, 1839, tarried there six days, and then again starting forth, he arrived at Benton, the county seat of Saline County, on June 14. Leaving this place in a few days, he crossed over into Hot Spring County, finally arriving at the home of Dr. P. S. Phisick, who had located in this section some nineteen years previous. On the 8th of July Mr. Morehead commenced a school on Blakely's Creek, ten miles from the present location. During this school he boarded with Dr. Phisick, having access to his medical library. Here he began his study of medicine, pursuing it after school hours, assisted by the Doctor. When his school closed, Mr. Morehead obtained an ox team from his preceptor and engaged in freighting goods, provisions, etc., from Little Rock, the distance being fifty-three miles. The money thus obtained was the first start young Morehead had in the country. Hot Spring County embraced at that the counties of Garland and Montgomery and a portion of Grant, west of Saline River, and contained a voting population of about 200. On the 15th of December, 1842, Mr. Morehead was married to the widow Nancy Cates, who had at that time four children, three boys and one girl. After his marriage, he entered forty acres of land. Here he has resided since 1842, with the exception of three years which he spent in Hot Springs practicing his profession. In 1861 he moved his family to the old place and joined the Confederate army, enlisting in the Second Arkansas Mounted Riflemen, McIntosh's regiment. He served eighteen months, when his health gave out and he returned home, resuming his profession when the war closed. In 1841 he was appointed constable, serving one year. Three years later he was chosen justice of the peace, which office he held for four years. In 1846 he was elected county judge, serving two terms. During 1851 and 1852 he acted as deputy sheriff. Under the administration of Gen. Grant he was appointed postmaster in 1871, serving eight years. In 1876 he was elected judge of the county and probate court of Hot Spring County, being re-elected in 1878. He has frequently been appointed by the Governor to set on special cases. His first wife, Nancy Lee, bore him four children: W. T. (born September 1, 1844, died December 26), P. C. (born January 16, 1847), A. J. M. (born September 1, 1848), Araminta Susana (born April 12, 1851). The Doctor's second wife was Jennie Smith, born in March, 1845, in Tennessee. Her mother was a Walker, a native of South Carolina, she having a brother in the Confederate army. By this marriage Dr. Morehead became the father of nine children: J. T. (born April 8, 1864, present surveyor of Hot Spring County), Mary E. G. (born April 18, 1867), Rosalee (born October 1, 1869), Andy W. M. (born May 17, 1873), Cassanna G. (born July 31, 1878). His third wife was Mary Andrews Criner, born in Tishomingo County, Miss., in 1843. The Doctor has always been a Democrat, casting his first vote for James K. Polk in 1844, and supporting each successive candidate, except during the war and reconstruction days, when disfranchised. He was made a Mason in 1855, and has filled the different chairs. He is also a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, becoming identified with it as early as 1854, and always contributing freely toward any church enterprise. Being quite a hunter in his earlier days, he has killed over 200 bears, many weighing as high as 600 pounds. He is at this date hale and hearty, always ready to entertain, possessing a varied store of interesting experiences.
John Morrison, one of the leading farmers of Fenter Township, came to Arkansas in 1849, and settled in Tulip, Dallas County, where worked at his trade of carpentering. He is a native of East Tennessee, his birth occurring in 1829, and is the son of George and Mary Pryor, both natives of Hawkins County, Tenn. The father was a college graduate and owned a large farm in Hawkins, and in connection with agricultural pursuits he taught school. He died in Georgia during the late war, his wife dying in 1832, when John Morrison was eighteen months old. Both parents were members of the Methodist Church, in which they took an active part. John Morrison, the only child of the family, lived with his father until sixteen years of age, when he commenced learning the carpenter's trade, serving six years as apprentice. After learning his chosen calling, his father sent him to school at Dandridge, Tenn. He came to Arkansas as above stated, in 1849, and has since resided here. During the war he enlisted in the Confederate army, and served eight months in Capt. Daniel Lamar's company of artillery, when he was discharged on account of disability. Mr. Morrison was married August 25, 1869, to Margaret Gill, a native of Tennessee and a daughter of Thomas Gill. They are the parents of six children: Lotta (who is a teacher in the public schools), Annie M., Fannie J., George, William and Alice. Mr. Morrison owns a fine farm of 139 acres, and also some property in the city. He is a representative farmer, and also carries on his carpenter trade. He is a member of the A.F.&A.M. Mr. and Mrs. Morrison are members of the Methodist Church, in which they take an active part.