Garland County, Arkansas, Goodspeed Biographies
Hiram A. Whittington was born in Boston, Massachusetts, January 14, 1805. He left Boston in 1820, going south, and arrived in Little Rock, Arkansas, in December, 1826, and remained in Little Rock until 1832, when he left for Hot Springs, Arkansas. Here he has resided ever since.
Robert L. Williams, sheriff and collector, at Hot Springs, Arkansas, is a native of Hopkins County, Kentucky, born January 22, 1850, and is a son of Roland P. Williams, who was a successful tiller of the soil all his life. The father married Margaret Gilliland, who, as well as himself, was a native of Kentucky, and in 1859 they moved to Missouri. In 1863 they refugeed to the Lone Star State, but afterward, in 1867, emigrated to Arkansas, locating in Polk County, where the mother died. The father is now living with his son, Robert L. They reared a large family of children, six of whom are living. Robert L. Williams early in life became familiar with the details of farm life, and received his education in the common schools. In 1878 he removed to Hot Springs, where he was engaged in keeping a wagon-yard for about a year. After this he clerked in a grocery store for three years, and then entered with a partner into the same business, also keeping a wholesale and retail feed store, which he has since continued. In 1886 he was elected to his present position, and so well did he discharge his official duties, that he was re-elected in 1889. He is an able and efficient officer, and commands the respect of all for his faithfulness. Mr. Williams was married February 11, 1872, to Miss Martha E. Allen, a native of Polk County, Arkansas, and the fruits of this union are four interesting children: Bennie A., John, Florence and Josie. Mr. Williams owns considerable real estate in Texas, besides extensive property interests in Hot Springs.
W. J. Willoughby, properly regarded as one of the prominent citizens of Hot Springs Township, Garland County, was born in 1817, in the State of Virginia, but is of Scottish and English descent. His father, William J. Willoughby, was a Virginian by birth, growing up on a farm, to which occupation he gave much attention during life. He served in the War of 1812, and was in the battle of New Orleans under Gen. Jackson. His father was a soldier in the Revolutionary War, and was an Englishman by birth. William J. Willoughby, Sr., was married in Virginia, in 1814, to Sarah Sorrel, and they became the parents of two children: John B. and William J. (the subject of this article). The latter was educated in Virginia, and in 1833 began the study of law. After being admitted to the bar he removed to Mississippi, where he commenced practicing, and there remained until 1853, when he went to Arkansas, settling in Montgomery County. In 1863 he was elected probate judge at Mount Ida, Montgomery County, which office he held for eight years. He also served one year as probate judge of Garland County, in which locality he was a prominent lawyer of that county, but being in poor health was obliged to give up his profession, and is now engaged in farming. He also owns 160 acres of land, with about fifty acres under cultivation. Mr. Willoughby married Mrs. Mary A. Robinson, in 1856, the widow of William Robinson, and the daughter of Elisia Robinson and Sarah (Birdsong), who were the parents of ten children: Rebecca, Minnie, Harvey, Robert, Miles, Louisa, Emaline, Monroe, Mary A. and John. Her father died in Tennessee, in 1848, and her mother died in 1844. Both were members of the Baptist Church. Mr. Willoughby and wife have a family of six children: James M., Henry L., Virgil S., Serenia A. (wife of George Crouch), Selena A. and Joseph R. Mr. and Mrs. Willoughby are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church.
Judge James B. Wood, circuit judge, Hot Springs, Arkansas. No name is justly entitled to a more enviable place in the history of Garland County than the one which heads this sketch, for it is borne by a man who has been usefully and honorably identified with the interests of this county, and with its advancement in every worthy particular. He owes his nativity to Drew County, Ark., where he was born January 25, 1851, and is the son of John S. and Martha (Bussey) Wood, both natives of Georgia. John S. Wood removed, when a boy, to Alabama, and came to Drew County, Arkansas, at an early day, where he married Miss Bussey, and followed the occupation of a farmer. He is also a Baptist minister. He resided in Drew County until 1853, when he removed to Ashley County, of the same State, and there he now resides. Judge James B. Wood was reared in Ashley County, Arkansas, received his education in the common schools, and at the age of twenty began the study of law, being admitted to the bar in 1872. He practiced in Ashley County until March, 1875, when he came to Hot Springs, where he has since practiced his profession. In 1878 he was elected prosecuting attorney of the Seventh judicial circuit, composed of the counties of Garland, Hot Spring, grant, Saline and Perry, and held this position for four years, or two terms. In 1882 he was elected circuit judge of the same circuit, and so great was his popularity that he was re-elected in 1886. Mr. Wood, when elected, was the youngest circuit judge in Arkansas, but nevertheless this has not interfered with the respect and esteem manifested toward him for his sterling integrity, sound judgment and liberal, progressive ideas. A younger brother, C. D. Wood, is also one of the circuit judges of this State, his being the Tenth judicial circuit. He was elected in 1886. Judge Wood's marriage to Miss Hettie G. Scott, a native of Louisiana, occurred in 1877, and to them have been born four children: Guy, Scott, John S. and Marnette. The Judge and Mrs. Wood are Baptists.