Garland County, Arkansas, Goodspeed Biographies
Dr. G. W. Lawrence
Dr. G. W. [George] Lawrence is one of the most substantial and prominent practitioners of Hot Springs, in which place he has been located as a resident for over thirty years. Originally from Plymouth, Montgomery County, Penn., his birth occurred July 4, 1823, on the grant of land ceded and settled by his ancestors seven generations ago, and granted by William Penn. The Lawrence family is of Quaker origin, early history stating that some of its members came to America with Penn, a grant being made to them by him at Plymouth, Dr. Lawrence's parents were William and Sarah (Hitner) Lawrence. He is the great-grandson of Donald Hitner, who was killed at the battle of Germantown, where Washington was defeated by Howe, while his grandparents on both sides were agriculturists. Young Lawrence received his academic education at the Concord Seminary, Germantown Academy, Provost's Grammar School in Germantown and Susquehanna Institute in Marietta, Lancaster County, Penn., institutions of learning which admirably fitted him for any position in life. He then studied medicine at Baltimore, Md., under Dr. J. H. Miller, subsequently attending the University of Pennsylvania, from which he graduated in April, 1846, and following this settled in Baltimore, Md., where he joined his preceptor, Prof. Dr. Miller, in practice. In 1849 he went to California as surgeon of the barque Kirkland, and discovered the Gallepago Banks, west of the Gallepago Islands, in July, 1849, and on October 14, of the same year, discovered the Grass Valley Quartz Mines, near Nevada City, Cal. In 1850 he was appointed first assistant surgeon-general of California. When the Governor, John McDougal, ordered out forces under Gen. Thomas Jefferson Green, he was obliged to obey, and was engaged in a ten days' fight with the Wymer Indians. He was the first assistant surgeon-general of California, until 1851. In 1851, returning to Baltimore County, Md., he remained until his health failed, and in 1859 arrived at Hot Springs, Ark., to recuperate, but liking the locality, decided to settle permanently. His residence here since that time has been of true value to the community. The Doctor is a member of Hot Springs Medical Association, and for a time was president of the County Board of Examiners, and a member of the Arkansas State Medical Association. In 1859 he was appointed by the president of the American Medical Association to the British Medical Association and other European societies, also to the same in 1873. He was the corresponded member of the Tennessee State Medical Association, Cincinnati (Ohio) Scientific Society, the Philadelphia College of Physicians, and College of Physicians and Surgeons of Little Rock, and licentiate of the medical and chirurgical faculty of Maryland. He has published a report on the Climatology of Arkansas, transactions of the American Medical Association, Vol. XXIII, and numerous papers on various medical subjects. He was United States centennial commissioner of the State of Arkansas in 1876, appointed by Gen. Grant. In 1843-45 he was acting assistant surgeon in the United States Navy, surgeon of the barque "Kirkland" from Baltimore to California, as stated, and served as inspector of hospitals under Gen. A. S. Johnston in the central army of Kentucky. He was also medical director of Gen. Hardee's division. After the evacuation of Nashville he served as medical director of the third corps of the Army of the Mississippi until after the battle of Shiloh, was in 1862 president of the Army Medical Board, Trans-Mississippi department, under Gen. Hindman. He was inspector of mines in 1863 for the Trans-Mississippi department, and chief surgeon of the Bureau of Conscription in that department under Gens. E. Greer and F. T. Nicholls until the surrender, at Shreveport, La., in June, 1865. Since October, 1859, he has been medical examiner and resident physician of Hot Springs, Ark. Dr. Lawrence was married, June 6, 1848, in Baltimore, Md., to Miss Mary S. Golder; was married the second time, December 10, 1872, at Little Rock, Ark., to Mrs. Clara E. Lillienthal, by whom he has four daughters: Ida M., Sarah E., Alice R. and Libbie E. The Doctors owns 1,600 acres of land near Hot Springs, besides land in Mississippi, North Carolina and Maryland. He is the oldest physician in Hot Springs, and is a member of the Maryland Historical Society. As a physician he has few superiors, enjoying the warm friendship of many acquaintances all over the United States.
Capt. N. N. Lester is one of the prominent farmers of Antioch Township. Born in Tennessee in 1853, he was the son of John E. and Eliza (Key) Lester, the former of whom was a native of Virginia, his birth occurring in 1796. He followed farming for a livelihood all his life. In the family of himself and wife were ten children, only two of whom survive; N. N. (the subject of this sketch) and Tranguilla (the wife of Marion S. Hargis). Mr. Lester emigrated to Tennessee from Virginia in 1830. He was a Royal Arch Mason and a member of the Methodist Church, as was also his wife. He died in 1856 and his wife in 1843. N. N. Lester was married to Elizabeth V. Ashford, of Francis County, Ark., in 1859. They became the parents of five children: Tranquilla (wife of Dr. F. H. Redwine), Abbot C., John E., Thodos D. and Elizabeth V. Mr. Lester was married to his second wife, Martha R. Haskius, in 1875. In 1862 he enlisted in the Thirty-second Arkansas Infantry, under Capt. F. H. Stenson, and took part in the battles of Helena, Morefield (La.), Jenkins' Ferry and a number of others, receiving a promotion to captain in 1863, which position he held until the close of the war. In 1859, leaving Tennessee, he moved to Arkansas, where he bought 160 acres of land, and has since added to it forty acres, making a 200-acre farm, with eighty acres under cultivation. Capt. Lester was elected justice of the peace in 1873, and served in that office for the following ten years. Mrs. Lester first saw the light of day in Virginia in 1831. Her father and mother were born in October, 1803, and June 9, 1809, respectively, both in Virginia. They were married in 1826, and were the parents of nine children, only three of whom are living: Martha R., Mary J. (Mrs. Traumell) and Matilda (Mrs. Frammell). Mr. Haskins emigrated from Virginia to Kentucky in 1836, where he was engaged in farming until 1849; coming thence to Arkansas he located in Bradley County, living there until his death, which occurred in 1878. His wife died in 1865. Both were members of the Methodist Episcopal Church. Capt. Lester is a prominent Democrat and also a member of the Methodist Church.
L. M. Little was born in North Carolina in 1835, to the union of Joseph B. and Eliza (Marshall) Little, also natives of North Carolina. Joseph B. Little was born in 1806, and followed farming during life, his marriage occurring about 1822. He had a family of nine children, all living: L. M. (the subject of this biography), John R., W. B., James M., Henry A., Martha C. (the widow of W. Sutherland), Catherine (wife of Joseph House), Annie (now Mrs. Bettis) and Eliza (the wife of Hanson Sellers). Both himself and wife are members of the Baptist Church. L. M. Little was married in 1870 to Miss Addie Palmer, an estimable lady and the daughter of Samuel Palmer. They are the parents of four children: Maggie, Augusta W., Lillie and John F. In 1858 Mr. Little commenced work in a saw-mill in North Carolina, and the following year moved to Arkansas, locating in Dallas county, where he was again employed in a saw mill. In 1861 he enlisted in the Confederate service in Capt. George D. Alexander's infantry company, and took part in nearly all the engagements until his surrender at Greensboro, N. C., in 1865. His principal service was on the east side of the Mississippi. After the war he returned to Dallas County, but upon remaining a few months went to Jefferson County, where he engaged in the saw-mill business. In 1874 he located in Garland County, and now owns in this locality, together with his brother, some 400 acres of land, mostly fine timbered land, with thirty acres improved. Mrs. Little was born in Jefferson County, Ark., her father being a native of Ohio, and her mother of Arkansas. She has three brothers: Simeon, John and William. Mr. Palmer died in Jefferson County in 1864. Mrs. Little is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church. Mr. Little is a substantial citizen of Garland County, siding materially in the upbuilding and development of his adopted home.
William J. Little, of the W. J. Little Grocery Company, Hot Springs, Ark., is a native of White County, Ark., born February 23, 1843, and is the son of Elijah Little, of South Carolina, who emigrated to Arkansas about 1833, locating in White County, where he died in 1882. William J. Little's time was divided in early youth between assisting on the farm and in attending the common schools, in which he received a fair education. In 1861 he enlisted in the Confederate army, and served until the surrender. After the cessation of hostilities he returned home, and there remained until 1865, when he went to Little Rock and secured a position as clerk in a store. After remaining there about two years, he went to St. Louis and was traveling salesman for some five years. In 1871, coming to Hot Springs, he engaged in the mercantile business with M. C. O'Bryan, which association continued about four years, when the firm of Little & Jenkins was organized. Mr. Little soon bought out Mr. Jenkins and formed a stock company, with the title of The William J. Little Grocer Company, which is still the firm name. They carry about $75,000 worth of merchandise and are doing an extensive business. Mr. Little was married in 1869 to Miss Ella Sumpter, of Hot Springs, and has one son. He is a member of the Masonic fraternity, having advanced as far as the Commandery. [Note from Patti Hays: Mr. Little died April 6, 1925, and is buried in Hollywood Cemetery, Hot Springs. Anna Ella (born December 28, 1849) died March 18, 1941, and is also buried in Hollywood Cemetery.