Garland County, Arkansas, Goodspeed Biographies
Dr. Arthur H. Keller, Hot Springs, Ark. Health is the most precious gift of Nature, and how to retain it and how to regain it when lost, are matters of vital moment. Some seek health in travel, and others in physical recreation. Both are no doubt beneficial, but they do not always accomplish the object in view. Medical science must be resorted to, and, if possible, the best physicians employed. In the possession of first-class physicians Hot Springs stands second to no other city in Arkansas. Among those who, although young in years, have made for themselves a name, and been unusually successful in their practice, is Dr. Arthur H. Keller, a native of Beaver Dam Springs, Tenn., born August 23, 1857. He is the son of Dr. Thomas Fairfax and Susan (Warren) Keller, the father a native of Virginia, and the mother of Ireland. The subject of this sketch, having lost his parents at an early age, was left to face the hardships of the world utterly penniless. In obedience to the expressed wish of his father upon his death-bed, that he (Arthur) study medicine, it now disturbed him no little to ferret out a means by which he could fulfill his father's desires. Happily about this time his attention was called to an advertisement in the weekly paper of his county, saving that applicants for the Garth Fund would meet the commissioners of said fund upon a specified day. Now was the opportunity of his life. He unhesitatingly and unadvisedly made application for the benefit of this fund. He was acceptable to the commissioners, and for ten years, or until he had completed his collegiate course, he was the recipient of its benefits. At the age of twenty-one years he began the study of medicine, and upon February 25, 1881, he delivered the valedictory address from the Louisville Medical College to his class and a large audience of friends and acquaintances. Classically he was educated at Centre College, Danville, Ky., graduating and receiving his Bachelor of Art degree there from in June, 1879. Within the past few years the A. M. degree has been conferred upon him. Until July, 1889, he has been a consistent practitioner of medicine and surgery at Ruddel's Mills, Bourbon County, Ky., since which time he has assiduously carried out the requirements of his profession at Hot Springs, Ark., his future home. Dr. Keller was married April 20, 1881, to Miss Ida Bowen, daughter of Col. George W. Bowen, of Bourbon County, Ky.; by her became the father of four children: George Bowen, Marion Clyde, Leila Warren and Arthur Yewsum. He and his wife are members of the Episcopal Church. He is a Mason, an Odd Fellow and a Democrat.
Dr. James M. Keller, Hot Springs, Ark. In a comprehensive work of this kind, dealing with industrial pursuits, sciences, arts and professions, it is only fit and right that that profession on which, in some period or other of our lives, the medical profession, all are more or less dependent, should be noticed. Among the many eminent practitioners of the county who has won a lasting reputation, none have been more successful, or won the confidence of the public to a greater extent than has Dr. James M. Keller. He was born at Tuscumbia, Ala., on January 29, 1832, and is the son of David and Mary Fairfax (Moore) Keller, natives, respectively, of Maryland and Virginia. The mother was the great-granddaughter of Gov. Alexander Spottswood and a cousin of Gen. Robert E. Lee. The parents of the subject of this sketch were married in East Tennessee, and died in Alabama in 1837 and 1874 respectively. The father was a commercial man, but was also a prominent tiller of the soil, and was one of the projectors of the railroad from Tuscumbia, Ala., to Decatur, the second or third built in the United States. Of their family of ten children six are now living, and Dr. James M. Keller is next to the youngest. His early education was received in Tuscumbia, and at an early age he began the study of medicine. In 1852 he graduated in this at the University of Louisville, after which he began practicing on his farm near Louisville. In 1857 he moved to Memphis, where he still continued to practice his profession until the breaking out of the Civil War, and then enlisted as a surgeon in the Confederate army. In 1862 he was promoted to medical directorship of the Trans-Mississippi department on the staff of Major T. C. Hyndman, but in 1863 was transferred to Mobile, Ala., and made medical director of hospitals. At the fall of Mobile he went with Gen. Forrest and surrendered with him at Meridian, Miss. He then returned to Memphis, was appointed to take charge of the City Hospital, and in 1868 was called to Louisville, where he took the professorship of surgery in the Kentucky School of Medicine and Louisville Medical College. In 1877 he went to Hot Springs, Ark., to attend the State Medical Society by invitation, and then and there made up his mind to locate at that place. This he did and has since been actively engaged in the practice of his profession. He is one of the prominent physicians of the city, and as such has gained the confidence of the people as a clever, scientific practitioner. He is a member of the Garland County Medical Society, State Medical Society, the American Medical Association, and is the author of the resolution in the American Association which was finally passed, declaring that cremation was the proper method of disposing of the dead. Dr. Keller was married in 1852 to Miss Sallie, daughter of David B. and Ann Phillips, of Jefferson County, Ky., and by her he became the father of two children, both sons: the late Dr. James I. Keller and Murray P. Keller. Mrs. Keller is a member of the Roman Catholic Church.
John D. Kimbell, attorney of Hot Springs, Ark., and conceded to be one of its representative citizens, was born in Nash County, N. C., on November 2, 1834, and is a son of Henry J. and Nancy D. (Derring) Kimbell, the father a native of North Carolina and the mother of the Old Dominion. The parents were married in the former State, and in 1836 emigrated to Arkansas, and located in Hempstead County, where the father tilled the soil until his death. The mother also died in Hempstead County. There were six children born to their marriage, and of the three now living John D. Kimbell is the eldest. He was principally reared in Hempstead County, and secured his education at Lebanon, Tenn., where he graduated at the law school in 1855. He read law in the office of Hubbard & Garland, the latter now ex-attorney general of the United States. In 1856 he owned and edited the Hempstead Democrat with James M. Killgore. Later he removed to Little Rock, Ark., where he was elected secretary of the State senate four consecutive sessions, and was associated with Richard H. Johnson, as editor of the True Democrat. In 1857 he was appointed land commissioner under Gov. Conway, and held the office four years. In 1861 he was in the service a short time, and afterward was private secretary for Gov. Harris Flanigan, with whom he remained for some time, but later practiced law. At the close of the war he engage din merchandising, and this continued until 1876. Previous to this, in 1874, he came to Hot Springs, and also carried on merchandising at this point for two years. He then engaged in the law practice, and this has since continued. In 1878 he was elected mayor, and 1887 was re-elected, serving two terms, and to the entire satisfaction of all. He has frequently represented his people before Congressional committees at Washington, when asking important legislation for the Springs. He held the office of school director from 1876 to 1889, a period of thirteen years, and is one of the most prominent citizens of the Springs. He was married in 1858 to Miss Josephine Langtree, by whom he had six children, four now living: Corinne M., T. Farrelly, Robert E. and Genevieve. The wife died in May, 1870, and Mr. Kimbell took for his second wife Mrs. Maggie Wilkey whom he married in August, 1871. She is a worthy and exemplary member of the Catholic Church. Mr. Kimbell is engaged in the loan business, and owns the Merchants' Transfer Line in company with his son. he also owns considerable real estate in Hot Springs. He is a member of the Royal Arcanum.