Garland County, Arkansas, Goodspeed Biographies
James Higdon, the son of Ruliford and Athelia (Lathem) Higdon, was born in Franklin County, Ala., in 1846. His father came originally from North Carolina, where he was reared on a farm, an occupation to which his attention was directed during life. In his family were nine children, seven boys and two girls, three of whom only are living: Philip, Nancy (wife of John Moore) and James (the subject of this article). Mr. Higdon was in the War of 1812, and died in 1844, his wife surviving until 1872. They were of Scotch-Irish extraction. James Higdon started out upon his own resources in 1862, and began farming on land which he owned, in Clark County, Ark. In 1867 he married Miss Mollie Sprow, a native of Clark County, whose parents, of Mississippi origin, had these children: Lulu, Fredelia and Mollie. Mr. Sprow was a farmer, and himself and wife were members of the Baptist Church. He died in 1882, and his wife in 1867. Mr. and Mrs. Higdon are the proud parents of six children, five boys and one girl: Joinor R., Lallie, Walter M., Julie R., George E. and Franklin. Mr. Higdon owns a farm of 420 acres, with seventy-two acres under cultivation. He owns a half interest in a saw and gristmill and cotton-gin, about nine miles south of Hot Springs, and a half interest in the Johnson ferry on the Ouachita River. He is also engage din hauling timber to Hot Springs, running six teams constantly. While perhaps not possessed of such an education as might be desired, his opportunities for such when a boy having been very limited, he understands thoroughly its worth and heartily advocates educational improvement, and donates liberally to all educational industries. He is a prominent Democrat of his township.
Edward Hogaboom, president of the Arkansas National Bank, Hot Springs, Ark. This representative citizen, a native of New York, was born in Dundee, in November, 1842, being a son of Elam A. and Margaret (Wells) Hogaboom, both natives of the same State, and of Holland Dutch ancestry. The father followed farming and in connection kept a hotel. He died in his native State, but the mother is still living on the old homestead. The grandparents, or rather the grandfathers on both sides, were Revolutionary soldiers. Edward Hogaboom was principally educated in the State of his birth, and there remained until fifteen years of age, when he was employed as a clerk in a drug store, but later engaged as clerk on a steamboat on the Ohio River for about two years. After this he embarked in the lumbering business in Wisconsin, and was thus occupied for nearly ten years. In 1861 he enlisted in Gen. Hickman's staff, also in the staff of Gen. Patterson, and served until the close, acting as clerk for two years in the quartermaster department. In the spring of 1879 he located in Hot Springs, engaging in the drug business, and this he still continues, being interested in several large establishments of the kind. Since his election as president of the bank, he has turned his attention entirely to the banking business, being a large stockholder in each of these financial institutions, besides owning a vast amount of real estate. He has aided materially in building up the Springs, and is accounted one of the foremost men of the county. He was married in 1876 to Miss Jeanette Glassman, by whom he has two children: Gilbert and Adelbert. Mr. Hogaboom is a Thirty-second degree Scottish Mason, and is also a Knight of Pythias. He was chaplain of the Commandery for a number of years. He is secretary of the Eastman Hotel Company, is president of the Park Hotel Company, president and treasurer of the Ice Company, Electric Light Company, Kentucky Livery and Transfer Company, and has interests in various other enterprises.
John R. Holcomb, prominent in the agricultural affairs of Mills Township, was born in Franklin County, Ga., August 18, 1824, being the son of Solomon and Elizabeth (Ray) Holcomb both natives of Georgia. The father, who was born in 1805, of English nationality, was engaged in farming all his life, and was married about 1821. He had a family of eight children, five of whom are now living: John R., Asa, William M., Joseph, Polly A. (wife of Berry Crocker) and Matilda (now Mrs. Campbell). Moving from Georgia to Alabama in 1854, the senior Holcomb remained until 1858, when he came to Arkansas and located in Hot Spring County, here residing until his death in 1859. He was a member of the Baptist Church, as is also his wife, who still survives him, and who was born in 1804. John R. Holcomb was married to Miss Celia H. Ashworth, daughter of Job Ashworth, of Virginia, in 1847. Their union took place in Hall County, Ga., from which locality they emigrated to Alabama in 1868, remaining until 1871. Subsequently they removed to Clark County, Ark., and afterward located in Garland County. Mr. Holcomb now owns 800 acres of land, with about 140 acres under cultivation, and besides these interests he entered into the mercantile business, building up and enjoying a large trade. In 1863 he enlisted in Company D, Twenty-ninth Georgia Infantry, under Capt. Surrill and Col. Mitchell, in which regiment he served until his discharge in 1865. He was in the battle of Chickamauga and all of the principal engagements. Mrs. Holcomb was born in Franklin County, Ga., in 1828. Her father had eight children: John, Elizabeth, Malissa, Celia H., William S., Thomas R., Joseph J. and one other. Mr. Ashworth followed farming all his life and died in 1854, his wife (a member of the Methodist Church) following him in 1859. Mr. and Mrs. Holcomb are members of the Baptist Church. The former is a Democrat and one of the most prominent citizens of his township. His land is underlaid with mineral ore, in which gold has been discovered that, according to the report of W. H. Garner, of St. Louis, assayed two ounces to the ton, and it is Mr. Holcomb's belief that this could be mined in paying quantities.
Dr. J. C. Holiman has attained to deserved prominence and fame as a physician of Hot Springs Township. He was the third son of a family of five children born to Cornelius and Elizabeth (Plyer) Holiman, both natives of South Carolina, his birth occurring in South Carolina on February 3, 1828. His father, Cornelius Holiman, born in 1792, was educated in the common schools of South Carolina, and followed farming as an occupation, during his life. He was married in 1813 and was the father of five children: Elijah A., Uriah H., J. C. (our subject), Mary (the widow of Jacob Sowels), Sarah (now deceased). Mr. Holiman emigrated from South Carolina in 1840 and settled in Alabama, where he entered a quarter section of land on which he lived until his death in 1862. He was in the War of 1812, and was an ardent member of the Methodist Church until 1843, when he united with the Baptist Church. His wife was a native of South Carolina and was a member of the Baptist Church. She died in 1843. Dr. J. C. Holiman remained upon the home farm until twenty-one years of age when he sold out and commenced attending medical lectures, entering in 1852 the University of Pennsylvania, in Philadelphia, under Preceptor Sulivan, of North Carolina, and a graduate of this University. Dr. Holiman took one course there and then practiced a few years, after which he again entered college and graduated at Tuscaloosa, Ala. Following this he practiced in Carroll County, Miss., in 1853, after which he removed to Fayette County, Ala., where he continued similarly occupied for twelve years. Dr. Holiman was married in Mississippi, in 1845, to Rachael A. Martin, a daughter of John Martin of Choctaw County, that State. They became the parents of thirteen children, eight of whom are now living: S. S. B., William W., Cornelius, Joshua C., Fannie B. (the wife of Shelby J. Johnson), Sarah E. (wife of Leroy Clonenger), Emma N. (now Mrs. Barnett), Joshanna, Fredonia A. (now deceased), Nancy E., Martha, Vida Erse and James W. In 1867 Dr. Holiman emigrated from Mississippi to Arkansas, where he bought 314 acres of land, 240 of which are in this county, and seventy-four in Magnet Cove, Hot Spring County. There are seventy-four acres under cultivation and twenty-five acres of fine orchard. The Doctor also owns one of the finest cotton-gins in the State, as well as saw, grist and shingle mills located in Hot Spring County. He lost all his property during the war and what he now has is a result of active energy and industry since that time. His farm is well-improved and has good buildings upon it. His practice nets him a comfortable income, and he well deserves the position to which he has risen. He has, however, been retired from active practice since 1868, having turned his attention principally to farming and fruit growing. He is a member of the I.O.O.F. and belongs to the Church of Christ.
James P. Howard [James Polk Howard per Howard researcher Darcy Lee Howard], whose association with the agricultural and stock interests of Garland County has contributed largely to his extensive acquaintance, is a resident of Union Township. He was born in Saline County, in 1847, and is a son of Albert and Elizabeth (Boland) Howard, who were born, reared and married in Tennessee. In 1844 the parents moved to Saline County, Ar., and settled in Jefferson Township, where the mother died when James was but six years old. The father was afterward married to Miss Mary Brooks, and passed the remainder of his days on the farm, dying in 1883. The parents were members of the Baptist Church, and earnest, Christian people. The father was a prosperous farmer, and an influential citizen, his death causing a void in the community that was not easily filled. His father was Allison Howard, of Tennessee, and he was also a brother to the late Judge Howard, of Saline County. James P. Howard was the fifth child of two sons and four daughters born to the first marriage. In order to obtain an education, during his boyhood he was compelled to walk four miles to a log-cabin school-house every day, but this was a small matter in comparison with his desire to obtain knowledge. During the Civil War he served two years in the Confederate army, being a member of Company H, First Arkansas Cavalry, and operated in the Trans-Mississippi district, Arkansas and Missouri, and fighting at Prairie Grove, Jenkins' Ferry, Camden, Helena, Price's raids through Missouri and a number of others. While sick in the hospital at Fort Smith, he was captured and held for two months and then exchanged. Later on he rejoined his command at Camden, and shortly before the close of the war he was captured at Benton and imprisoned at Little Rock until the war was over. He then returned home, and in 1867 was married to Eveline, daughter of Edward and Mary Akin, who were among the early settlers of Saline County. Mrs. Howard died in 1884, leaving two sons and three daughters. The Doctor's second marriage occurred in Garland County in 1886, to Martha E., daughter of J. J. and Hannah Neighbors, who settled in Garland County at an early period. Mr. Neighbors took an active part during the Civil War, and was a soldier in the Confederate army. This marriage made Dr. Howard the father of one son. Previous to his marriage he went to Texas, but only remained in that State one year, when he returned to Garland County and settled on his present farm, six miles northeast of Hot Springs, where he owns about 180 acres of very fine land, and has placed some fifty acres under cultivation, all the result of his own energy and enterprise. In politics he is a stanch Democrat, and cast his first presidential vote for Seymour, in 1868. He is a prominent member of Whittington Lodge No. 365, A.F.&A.M., and has belonged to that body for fourteen years, holding at different times the offices of Junior and Senior Warden, and at one time Master of Marble Lodge. He also belongs to the Knights of Honor at Hot Springs. In religious belief Dr. Howard and wife are members of the Baptist Church. [Photo furnished by Darcy Lee Howard.]