Garland County, Arkansas, Goodspeed Biographies
B. F. Ballard
B. F. Ballard, conceded to be among the prosperous farmers of Hot Springs Township, Garland County, Arkansas, was the oldest in a family of ten children born to Eli Ballard and Sethenia (McVen) Ballard, natives of Georgia. His birth occurred in Georgia in 1837. His father, who was reared on a farm, received a limited education in youth, and was married in 1836, rearing a family which consisted of four boys and six girls: B. F. (the subject of this biography), Robert M. (deceased), W. B., Joshua, Cassandra, Elizabeth, Rachel, Martha J., Maria and Catharine. Mrs. Ballard died in 1883, as a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church. Mr. Ballard is a stanch Democrat. B. F. Ballard was educated in the common schools of Georgia, and began farming for himself in 1855. The following year he married Eliza Strickler, daughter of Roswell Strickler of Georgia. Subsequently the affairs of ordinary life were interrupted by war troubles, and, in 1862, Mr. Ballard enlisted in the Fifty-sixth Regiment Arkansas Infantry, Company A, under Capt. Brewster, remaining in service until the surrender, in 1865, at Greensboro, in North Carolina. He participated in nearly all of the principal engagements. Mr. and Mrs. Ballard are the parents of nine children, four of whom are deceased: Julian (deceased), Caria (now Mrs. Bworo), Mary (deceased), Eddie, Russie E., John W., Martha J. (deceased), Eli (deceased) and Alphonso. Mr. Ballard owns 150 acres of fine land, and ranks among the influential and enterprising citizens of the township. He is a Democrat in politics. Mrs. Ballard is a member of the Baptist Church.
Albert L. Barnes, one of the principal merchants and dealers in general merchandise and oil stone, whose well-known establishment, the "Last Chance," is situated on the Little Rock Road, was born at Hot Springs, Ark., on April 6, 1845, and is a son of Phineas and Julia A. Barnes (nee Judd), natives of Ohio. The father came to Hot Springs about the year 1838, being among the first settlers of that place, and resided there until his death. He was one of its most industrious and enterprising citizens during his life, and foremost in developing the industrial and agricultural interests of his state. One of the first discoverers of the rich beds of stone in that locality was the elder Barnes, who made it a principal article of commerce, and was a large exporter of the "Ouachita Stone" which received its name on account of coming out of the Ouachita River in Arkansas, and taking its name at New Orleans. For a great many years Mr. Barnes was a justice of the peace, and was one of the few who remained in Hot Springs during the Civil War. He had been a member of the Methodist persuasion for a long time, and was a leader in religious work. His father was Phineas Barnes, a native of New York, of Scotch descent, who lived and died in the State of Ohio. The mother of Albert L. Barnes is still living and resides in Garland County. She was a daughter of Philo and Nancy Judd, of New York and Ohio, respectively, who were married in the latter State. In religious faith the mother has been a member of the Methodist Church for over forty years, and is a devout Christian woman. Albert L. Barnes is the oldest of five sons and three daughters born to his parents, all of whom are living except the oldest daughter. He passed the days of his youth in Hot Springs, receiving a limited education on account of the proof advantages for schooling. At sixteen years of age he enlisted in Company E, Nineteenth Arkansas Volunteers, Confederate Army, and served a short time in Tennessee and Mississippi, but was discharged on account of his youth just before the fall of Vicksburg. Soon after he went to Texas where he remained for eight months, and upon returning home joined Cook's battalion in Gen. Price's army, taking part in the battles through Missouri, Kansas and the Indian Territory. He then returned home, but later rejoined his command at Magnolia, Ark., where he was assigned to duty as orderly-sergeant, and being highest ranking officer was in command of his company, serving in that capacity until his surrender at Marshall, Texas. Upon returning home he entered into the business of exporting oil stone with his father, and has since continued in that line, being probably more conversant in that work than any other man in Garland County. He is running three quarries and employs about ten men, his shipments amounting to between $5,000 and $6,000 annually, in the rough, besides cutting a quantity for the retail market in Garland County. Since 1883 Mr. Barnes has been operating a general store on Park Avenue, the last one on the road to Little Rock, the sales and cash collections of which amount to about $12,000 annually. He also owns a fine residence on the corner of Bower and North Streets, Hot Springs. In 1875 he was married to Miss Rachel Wallace, of Hot Springs, but lost his wife by death the following year. His second marriage occurred in 1883, to Mrs. Elizabeth Martin, an estimable widow of Texas, by whom he had three children, two of them, yet living: Edna and Judd, who have obtained the best education to be found in the State. In politics Mr. Barnes is a stanch Democrat, casting his first vote for Greeley in 1872, and for two years served as justice of the peace. In secret societies he is a member of the Hot Springs Lodge No. 62, A.F.&A.M., Commandery No. 5, Chapter No. 47 and also the Council. He is present Past Master of his lodge, and in 1880-81 held the office of Master as also most all of the other officers, besides having twice been representative at the Grand Lodge at Little Rock. In religious belief Mr. Barnes and his wife have both been members of the Methodist Church for about eighteen years.
Dr. William H. Barry, Hot Springs, Ark. This prominent physician was originally from Spartanburg, S. C., where his birth occurred February 11, 1836. His parents, Hugh W. and Malinda (Kilgore) Barry, were natives of South Carolina, the father born in Spartanburg, and the mother in Greenville, and both of Irish ancestry. The paternal grandfather was a captain through the Revolutionary War, and his death occurred in South Carolina. The father, Hugh W. Barry, followed agricultural pursuits for a livelihood and remained in his native State until 1839, when he removed to Cherokee County, Ala., and from there in 1845 to LaFayette County, Miss., where he died in 1880. The mother is yet living. They reared six children, only four now living, and Dr. William H. Barry the eldest. He was early taught the duties of farm life, and remained under the parental roof until fifteen years of age, when he entered the academy near Oxford, preparatory to the university. He began the study of medicine in 1856, graduated at the Memphis Medical College in March, 1858, and immediately began practicing at his home in Mississippi, where he remained two years. In December, 1860, he came to Monticello, Ark., and here lived until the war broke out, when, May 4, 1861, he enlisted with the First Arkansas Regiment, as assistant surgeon, and was in Virginia when Arkansas seceded. At the battle of Shiloh he was prostrated with jaundice and went home on a furlough. After the war he resumed his practice at Monticello, remained there until April, 1875, when he came to Hot Springs, and has since been in active practice. Soon after coming here he was one of the organizers of the city government of Hot Springs, and as chairman of the committee on ordinances, wrote all the original ordinances of the city and served two terms in the city council. In 1876 he was elected president of the Arkansas State Medical Association, which position he honorably filled for one term. Soon after coming here he was appointed school examiner, which position he still fills. He organized the public schools of the county, which are now a credit to any community. In 1878 he was elected to the legislature without canvass, and re-elected in 1882, serving two terms with honor. The Doctor has been a valuable citizen to Hot Springs, and has done much in building up its great future. In 1883 he was appointed president of the board of health, and after serving a year or two resigned, and in June, 1887, he was again appointed with enlarged powers, being chief executive health officer and president of the board of health which consists of himself and two consulting members. He was appointed by the United States Government as pension surgeon in the same year, and is now president of the board of surgeons at Hot Springs. He is also president of the Hot Springs Medical Society at this time. He was married in 1859 to Miss Lou Watt, a native of South Carolina, and the fruits of this union are three living children: Linda H., Nita and Pat L. one son, H. Walter, died in October, 1887. He was manager of the Western Union Telegraph Company, at Hot Springs, and was one of the most promising young men of the county. "Close his eyes; his work is done. What cares he for friend or foeman, Rise of moon or set of sun, Hand of man or kiss of woman? Lay him low." He left a widow and two children to mourn his loss. The Doctor is a Mason and an Ancient Odd Fellow. He and wife are members of the Presbyterian Church, in which the Doctor has been an elder for many years, and has been clerk of the session for the last thirty years. He has served as superintendent of the Sabbath school for many years, and is one of the most esteemed and respected citizens of the county. He has had many honors bestowed upon him that he could not accept, has been earnestly solicited to run for Congress, State senator and the Governorship of Arkansas. The Doctor is connected with some of the most prominent families, and his ancestor, William T. Barry, was the originator of the system of Democratic National Conventions. The first convention held was when Andrew Jackson was nominated for president, and for his services William T. Barry was made postmaster-general in Jackson's Cabinet.
George Belding, retired merchant, Hot Springs, Ark., an honored and much respected gentleman, was born in Hot Springs (now Garland) County, August 14, 1832, and is one of four children: Maria (wife of William H. Gaines), Albert (in Little Rock), Henry (in Texas), and George, born to Ludovicus and Lydia (Bassett) Belding, both natives of Massachusetts. The parents came first to Kentucky, thence to Indiana, and in 1828 to Arkansas, where they located at Hot Springs, in what is now Garland County. They came through in wagons, and when the county was very thinly settled. The family settled in Hot Springs, remained there a year or two, and then moved to the farm near the Ouachita River, in what is now Sulphur Township, where the father died in 1833. He left a widow and four children. George Belding was the youngest of this family, and remained on the farm until 1852, when he removed to Hot Springs with his mother, who died in the winter of 1864. The Belding family gained considerable notoriety in lawing with the Government and individuals for the Hot Springs. George bought the place where he now lives, in 1858, and built a loghouse in which he still lives. This is one of the oldest landmarks in Hot Springs, and Mr. Belding is one of the oldest native-born residents now living in Garland County. During the war he went to Texas, and remained a resident of that State for some time. In 1853 he engaged in the mercantile business, and carried it on until 1861, but in the spring of 1866 he began again, and continued at this until 1871. Since that time he has not been engaged in any regular business. When he first located at the Springs, there were about 200 inhabitants, and he has since witnessed the marvelous growth and improvement of the place. He owns almost a block of business buildings, nearly in the center of the city. In his early life he was a Whig in politics, but he is now a Democrat. He was married in 1859, to Miss Amanda Irons, a native of Missouri, who bore him eleven children, six now living; Bettie, George R., Augustus G., Almond B., Selma L. and Fannie G. Mrs. Belding is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church.
W. P. Blake, dealer in jewelry, Hot Springs, Ar., In all the wide range of industrial enterprises, there is no industry of greater importance than that of watches and jewelry. In this line are a number of the leading citizens and merchants engaged, among whom may be found the substantial and representative establishment conducted by W. P. Blake. Mr. Blake is originally from Farmington, Me., and the son of R. K. Blake, also a native of the Pine Tree State. John M. Blake, an uncle of the subject of this sketch, was also a Maine man, and came to Hot Springs in 1869, where he established the first jewelry store of the place. He continued the business until his death, which occurred in July, 1887. He learned his trade at Winthrop, Me., and was extensively engaged in that business at the time of his death. William P. Blake then took charge of the business, and this he still continues. They carry the largest stock of jewelry in Hot Springs, and it will invoice at about $20,000. W. P. Blake learned his trade at Kokomo, Ind., and about 1878 came to Hot Springs, where he has since resided. He is a member of the Masonic order, also of the Knights of Pythias, and has passed through all the chairs of the last-named order. He is a thorough gentleman, and courteous and genial to all customers.
Augustine W. Borland, whose prominence as a business man has become widely established, deals in groceries, also grain, produce, hay, etc., in Hot Springs. His place is situated on Central Avenue, and he first established his business in 1879, starting in with but very little capital. He now owns a stock worth $4,000, and has a large trade, besides two good business blocks and two other valuable lots. Mr. Borland is an active, straightforward and honest business man, whose word is as good as his bond, and he is quoted as an authority in commercial circles. He first commended in life as a farm hand, and has gained his present substantial position in the world by strict attention to business and natural ability for it. He was born in Randolph County, Ga., in 1854, and is a son of Quintillion and Rachel (Stevenson) Borland. When Augustine was three years old the parents moved to Dale County, Ala., where the mother died in 1874. The father was a soldier in the Confederate army, and was killed during the Seven Days' battle in Virginia. Ten sons and four daughters were born to the parents, of whom seven sons are living and three dead; all of the daughters are yet living. Besides being in the army himself, the father had three brothers and four sons who also served under the Confederate flag. One of the surviving sons, Judge E. J. Borland, was judge of the probate court at Geneva County, Ala., for a great many years. Augustine W. Borland was reared on his parents' farm and educated in the common country schools, receiving most of his education after attaining his maturity. When twenty-two years of age he came to Hot Springs and worked as a farm hand, and later on clerked in a country store for a few years. He afterward established himself in the grocery business on a small scale at Hot Springs, which he increased as time went by, until it has assumed its present proportions, giving an evidence of the pluck and enterprise characteristic of Mr. Borland's nature. He is now one of the leading merchants and most popular citizens of Hot Springs. In politics Mr. Borland is a stanch Democrat, and cast his presidential vote for Tilden, in 1876.