Search billions of records on Ancestry.com


Return to Home 
Research Center Directory 
 



 

 

 

Whittier
 

 

Whittier is on the northeast shore of the Kenai Peninsula, at the head of Passage Canal. It is on the west side of Prince William Sound, 75 miles southeast of Anchorage. It lies at approximately 60░ 46' N Latitude, 148░ 41' W Longitude (Sec. 24, T008N, R004E, Seward Meridian). The community is located in the Anchorage Recording District. The area encompasses 12 sq. miles of land and 7 sq. miles of water.

Nearby Whittier Glacier was named for the American poet John Greenleaf Whittier, and was first published in 1915 by the U.S. Coast & Geodetic Survey. A port and railroad terminus were constructed by the U.S. Army for transport of fuel and other supplies into Alaska during World War II. The railroad spur was completed in 1943, and the Whittier Port became the entrance for troops and dependents of the Alaska Command.

The huge buildings that dominate Whittier began construction in 1948. The Buckner Building, completed in 1953, was once the largest building in Alaska, and was called the "city under one roof." The Hodge Building (now Begich Towers) was built for Army bachelors quarters and family housing; the first residents moved in during the summer of 1956. It is now a condominium and houses nearly all of Whittier's residents. The Port remained an active Army facility until 1960; at that time, the population was 1,200. The City was incorporated in 1969.

 

 

 



 


ęCopyright 2014 Alaska Trails to the Past All Rights Reserved
For more information contact the Webmistress