Search billions of records on Ancestry.com


Return to Home 
Research Center Directory 
 



 

 

 

Ugashik 

Ugashik is located on the northwest coast of the Alaska Peninsula, 16 miles up the Ugashik River. It lies at approximately 57░ 30' N Latitude, 157░ 23' W Longitude (Sec. 09, T031S, R050W, Seward Meridian). The community is located in the Kvichak Recording District. The area encompasses 88 sq. miles of land and 9 sq. miles of water.

Yup'ik Eskimos and Aleuts jointly occupied the area historically. This Aleut village was first recorded in 1880 as "Oogashik." In the 1890s, the Red Salmon Company developed a cannery, and Ugashik became one of the largest villages in the region. The 1919 flu epidemic decimated the population. The cannery has continued to operate under various owners. The Briggs Way Cannery opened in 1963. The village has a small year-round population.

 

 



 


ęCopyright 2014 Alaska Trails to the Past All Rights Reserved
For more information contact the Webmistress