Search billions of records on Ancestry.com


Return to Home 
Research Center Directory 
 



 

 

 

Thorne Bay

 

Thorne Bay is 38 air miles northwest of Ketchikan on the eastern side of Prince of Wales Island. On the Island road system, it lies 59 miles from Hollis and 36 miles east of the Klawock Junction. It lies at approximately 54░ 41' N Latitude, 132░ 31' W Longitude (Sec. 12, T071S, R084E, Copper River Meridian). The community is located in the Ketchikan Recording District. The area encompasses 19 sq. miles of land and 5 sq. miles of water.

The Bay was named after Frank Manley Thorn, superintendent of the U.S. Coast & Geodetic Survey from 1885 through 1889. The name was misspelled when published. Thorne Bay was developed as a result of a long-term timber sales contract between the U.S. Forest Service and the Ketchikan Pulp Company. In 1960, a floating logging camp was built in Thorne Bay, and in 1962 a shop, barge terminal, log sort yard and camp were built to replace facilities at Hollis. Roads were then constructed to connect Thorne Bay with Hollis, Craig and Klawock. During this time, it was considered the largest logging camp in North America. Thorne Bay evolved from a company-owned logging camp to an incorporated city by 1982, due in part to the land selection program provided for in the Alaska Statehood Act.

 

 



 


ęCopyright 2014 Alaska Trails to the Past All Rights Reserved
For more information contact the Webmistress