Search billions of records on Ancestry.com


Return to Home 
Research Center Directory 
 



 

 

 

Stony River

 

Stony River is located on the north bank of the Kuskokwim River, 2 miles north of its junction with the Stony River. The village is 100 miles east of Aniak, 185 miles northeast of Bethel, and 225 miles west of Anchorage. It lies at approximately 61░ 47' N Latitude, 156░ 35' W Longitude (Sec. 31, T020N, R040W, Seward Meridian). The community is located in the Kuskokwim Recording District. The area encompasses 17 sq. miles of land and 3 sq. miles of water.

Also known as Moose Village and Moose Creek, it began as a trading post and riverboat landing to supply mining operations to the north. The first trading post opened in 1930, and a post office was established in 1935. Area Natives used these facilities, but it wasn't until the early 1960s that families established year-round residency and a school was constructed. Approximately 75 people lived in the village in the 1960s, 70s and 80s.

 

 

 



 


ęCopyright 2014 Alaska Trails to the Past All Rights Reserved
For more information contact the Webmistress