is located on the Sterling Highway at the junction of the Moose and
Kenai Rivers, 18 miles east of the City of Kenai. It lies at
approximately 60░ 32' N Latitude, 150░ 45' W Longitude . The community
is located in the Kenai Recording District. The area encompasses 85 sq.
miles of land and 3 sq. miles of water.
The Kenai Peninsula has been the home
of the Kenaitze Indians for hundreds of years. Sterling is a community
that apparently had its name formalized in 1954 when a post office was
established. An archaeological site, containing prehistoric house pits,
has been discovered at the Isaac Walton Campground. The State Department
of Natural Resources plans to excavate the site around 2002.