Shageluk is located on the east bank of
the Innoko River, approximately 20 miles east of Anvik and 34 miles
northeast of Holy Cross. The Innoko drains into the Yukon River. It lies
at approximately 62░ 41' N Latitude, 159░ 34' W Longitude (Sec. 22,
T030N, R055W, Seward Meridian). The community is located in the Mt.
McKinley Recording District. The area encompasses 10 sq. miles of land
and 1 sq. miles of water.
Shageluk is an Ingalik Indian village
first reported as "Tie'goshshitno" in 1850 by Lt. Zagoskin of the
Russian Navy. In 1861, a historian for the Russian American Company
reported six villages on the Innoko. These were collectively called the
"Chageluk settlements" during the 1880 Census. Shageluk became one of
the permanent communities in the area. A post office was established in
1924. Residents of Shageluk moved in 1966 from a flood-prone location to
a higher site two miles southeast. The BIA constructed 20 homes and a
school at the new site.