Search billions of records on Ancestry.com


Return to Home 
Research Center Directory 
 



 

 

 

Russian Mission

 

Russian Mission is located on the west bank of the Yukon River in the Yukon-Kuskokwim Delta, 25 miles southeast of Marshall. It lies 70 air miles northeast of Bethel and 376 miles west of Anchorage. It lies at approximately 61░ 47' N Latitude, 161░ 19' W Longitude (Sec. 31, T020N, R066W, Seward Meridian). The community is located in the Bethel Recording District. The area encompasses 5 sq. miles of land and 1 sq. miles of water.

The first Russian American Company fur trading post on the Yukon River was established here in 1837. The settlement was recorded as an Eskimo village called "Ikogmiut," meaning "people of the point," in 1842 by the Russian explorer Zagoskin. The first Russian Orthodox mission in Interior Alaska was established here in 1857 by the Russian-Aleut priest Jacob Netzuetov. The mission was called "Pokrovskaya Mission," and the village name was changed to Russian Mission in 1900. It was often confused with another village on the Kuskokwim called "Russian Mission." This village was renamed Chuathbaluk.

 

 



 


ęCopyright 2014 Alaska Trails to the Past All Rights Reserved
For more information contact the Webmistress