Search billions of records on Ancestry.com


Return to Home 
Research Center Directory 
 



 

 

 

Red Devil

 

Red Devil is located on both banks of the Kuskokwim River, at the mouth of Red Devil Creek. It lies 75 air miles northeast of Aniak, 161 miles northeast of Bethel, and 250 miles west of Anchorage. It lies at approximately 61░ 45' N Latitude, 157░ 18' W Longitude (Sec. 06, T019N, R044W, Seward Meridian). The community is located in the Kuskokwim Recording District. The area encompasses 24 sq. miles of land and 2 sq. miles of water.

The village was named after the Red Devil Mine, established in 1921 by Hans Halverson when numerous quicksilver deposits were discovered in the surrounding Kilbuck-Kuskokwim Mountains. By 1933, the mine was producing substantial quantities of mercury. Although the mine changed ownership twice over the years, it continued to operate until 1971. The mine produced some 2.7 million pounds of mercury during its operation. A post office was established in 1957 and a state school opened in 1958.

 

 



 


ęCopyright 2014 Alaska Trails to the Past All Rights Reserved
For more information contact the Webmistress