Search billions of records on Ancestry.com


Return to Home 
Research Center Directory 
 



 

 

 

Pitka's Point

 

Pitka's Point is located near the junction of the Yukon and Andreafsky Rivers, 5 miles northwest of St. Mary's on the Yukon-Kuskokwim Delta. It lies 3 miles by road from the St. Mary's airport. It lies at approximately 62░ 02' N Latitude, 163░ 17' W Longitude (Sec. 06, T022N, R076W, Seward Meridian). The community is located in the Bethel Recording District. The area encompasses 1 sq. miles of land and 2 sq. miles of water.

Eskimos who first settled there called it "Nigiklik," a Yup'ik word meaning "to the north." It was first reported in 1898 by the U.S. Geological Survey. The village was later renamed for a trader who opened a general store which was a branch of Northern Commercial Company.

 

 



 


ęCopyright 2014 Alaska Trails to the Past All Rights Reserved
For more information contact the Webmistress