Search billions of records on Ancestry.com


Return to Home 
Research Center Directory 
 



 

 

 

Napaimute

 

Napaimute is located on the north bank of the Kuskokwim River, 28 miles east of Aniak in the Kilbuck-Kuskokwim Mountains. It lies at approximately 61░ 32' N Latitude, 158░ 41' W Longitude (Sec. 27, T017N, R052W, Seward Meridian). The community is located in the Kuskokwim Recording District. The area encompasses 44 sq. miles of land and 3 sq. miles of water.

Napaimute means "forest people," and was once called "Hoffman's." In 1906, George W. Hoffman, an Englishman, established a trading post at the site. A community of non-Native trappers and miners, with a significant number of Eskimos, developed around the trading post. Hoffman built a territorial school in 1920. A second school was established in 1926. By the early 1950s, most residents had moved to nearby villages, many to Aniak. Today, it is used as a summer fish camp.

 

 



 


ęCopyright 2014 Alaska Trails to the Past All Rights Reserved
For more information contact the Webmistress