Search billions of records on Ancestry.com


Return to Home 
Research Center Directory 
 



 

 

 

McGrath

 

McGrath is located 221 miles northwest of Anchorage and 269 miles southwest of Fairbanks in Interior Alaska. It is adjacent to the Kuskokwim River directly south of its confluence with the Takotna River. It lies at approximately 62░ 57' N Latitude, 155░ 35' W Longitude (Sec. 18, T033N, R033W, Seward Meridian). The community is located in the Mt. McKinley Recording District. The area encompasses 38 sq. miles of land and 5 sq. miles of water.

McGrath was a seasonal Upper Kuskokwim Athabascan village which was used as a meeting and trading place for Big River, Nikolai, Telida and Lake Minchumina residents. The Old Town McGrath site, was originally located across the river. In 1904, Abraham Appel established a trading post at the old site. In 1906, gold was discovered in the Innoko District, and at Ganes Creek in 1907. Since McGrath is the northernmost point on the Kuskokwim River accessible by large riverboats, it became a regional supply center.

By 1907, a town was established, and was named for Peter McGrath, a local U.S. Marshal. In 1909, the Alaska Commercial Company opened a store. The Iditarod Trail also contributed to McGrath's role as a supply center. From 1911 to 1920, hundreds of people walked and mushed over the Trail on their way to the Ophir gold districts. Mining sharply declined after 1925. After a major flood in 1933, some residents decided to move to the south bank of the River. Changes in the course of the River eventually left the old site on a slough, useless as a river stop. In 1937, the Alaska Commercial Company opened a store at the new location. In 1940, an airstrip was cleared, the FAA built a communications complex, and a school was opened. McGrath became an important refueling stop during World War II, as part of the Lend-Lease Program between the U.S. and Russia. In 1964, a new high school was built, attracting boarding students from nearby villages.

 

 



 


ęCopyright 2014 Alaska Trails to the Past All Rights Reserved
For more information contact the Webmistress