Kalskag is located on the north bank of the Kuskokwim River, 2 miles
downriver from Upper Kalskag. It lies 26 miles west of Aniak, 64 miles
northeast of Bethel, and 350 miles west of Anchorage. It lies at
approximately 61░ 30' N Latitude, 160░ 21' W Longitude (Sec. 02, T016N,
R062W, Seward Meridian). The community is located in the Kuskokwim
Recording District. The area encompasses 1 sq. miles of land and 0 sq.
miles of water.
The site was originally used as a fish
camp for families of Upper Kalskag, two miles to the northeast. In 1930,
people began to establish year-round homes. The Russian Orthodox
residents of Upper Kalskag, a predominantly Roman Catholic village,
moved to Lower Kalskag because of religious differences. The Russian
Orthodox Chapel of St. Seraphim was built in 1940. A school was built in
1959, followed by a post office in 1962, a sawmill in 1965, and a power
plant in 1969.