Search billions of records on Ancestry.com


Return to Home 
Research Center Directory 
 



 

 

 

Klawock
 

 

Klawock is located on the west coast of Prince of Wales Island across from Klawock Island. It is 7 miles north of Craig, 24 miles from Hollis, and 56 air miles west of Ketchikan. It lies at approximately 55░ 33' N Latitude, 133░ 05' W Longitude (Sec. 09, T073S, R081E, Copper River Meridian). The community is located in the Ketchikan Recording District. The area encompasses 0 sq. miles of land and 0 sq. miles of water.

Early inhabitants were from Tukekan, a Tlingit winter village to the north. Klawock was used as a summer fishing camp, and has been known as Klawerak, Tlevak, Clevak and Klawak. The history of Klawock is closely tied to the fishing industry. A trading post and salmon saltery were established in 1868, and the first cannery in Alaska was built here by a San Francisco firm in 1878. The subsequent canneries that sprouted in the area were operated under contract with Chinese laborers. A hatchery for red salmon operated at Klawock Lake between 1897 and 1917.

In 1929, Klawock incorporated as a City, and a school was constructed. In 1934, Klawock received federal funds under the Wheeler Howard Act to develop a local cannery, on the condition that residents vote to be liquor-free. In 1971 the Alaska Timber Corp. build a sawmill. Soon after, the Klawock-Heenya Village Corp., the Shaan Seet Corp. of Craig, and Sealaska Timber Corp. expanded area facilities with a log sort yard outside of Klawock and a deep-water dock on Klawock Island. The State constructed a salmon hatchery in 1978.

 

 



 


ęCopyright 2014 Alaska Trails to the Past All Rights Reserved
For more information contact the Webmistress