Search billions of records on Ancestry.com


Return to Home 
Research Center Directory 
 



 

 

 

King Cove

 

King Cove is located on the south side of the Alaska Peninsula, on a sand spit fronting Deer Passage and Deer Island. It is 18 miles southeast of Cold Bay and 625 miles southwest of Anchorage. It lies at approximately 55░ 03' N Latitude, 162░ 19' W Longitude (Sec. 22, T059S, R086W, Seward Meridian). The community is located in the Aleutian Islands Recording District. The area encompasses 3 sq. miles of land and 2 sq. miles of water.

King Cove was founded in 1911 when Pacific American Fisheries built a salmon cannery. Early settlers were Scandinavian, European and Aleut fishermen. Of the first ten founding families, five consisted of a European father and an Aleut mother. The cannery operated continuously between 1911and 1976, when it was partially destroyed by fire. The adoption of the 200-mile fisheries limit spurred rebuilding. King Cove remains tied to fishing and fish processing.

 

 



 


ęCopyright 2014 Alaska Trails to the Past All Rights Reserved
For more information contact the Webmistress