Search billions of records on Ancestry.com


Return to Home 
Research Center Directory 
 



 

 

 

Kalifonsky
 

 

Kalifonsky is located on the Kenai Peninsula on the east shore of Cook Inlet. This area lies on Kalifornsky Beach Road, and is not locally considered a community. It lies off the Sterling Highway, 10 miles south of the City of Kenai. It lies at approximately 60░ 25' N Latitude, 151░ 17' W Longitude . The community is located in the Kenai Recording District. The area encompasses 11 sq. miles of land and 3 sq. miles of water.

The village of Kalifonsky was first noted in 1916 by the U.S. Coast and Geodetic Survey. "Kali" means fishermen. The family name "Kalifornsky" is attributed to a Dena'ina Indian who worked at the Fort Ross colony in California between 1812 and the 1820s. Peter Kalifornsky, now deceased, was born in the village and was the last fluent speaker of the Dena'ina language.

 

 



 


ęCopyright 2014 Alaska Trails to the Past All Rights Reserved
For more information contact the Webmistress