Search billions of records on Ancestry.com


Return to Home 
Research Center Directory 
 



 

 

 

Ivanof Bay

 

Ivanof Bay is located on the northeast end of the Kupreanof Peninsula, 350 miles southwest of Anchorage. It lies at approximately 55░ 54' N Latitude, 159░ 29' W Longitude (Sec. 33, T049S, R066W, Seward Meridian). The community is located in the Aleutian Islands Recording District. The area encompasses 11 sq. miles of land and 1 sq. miles of water.

The bay was named by Lt. Dall of the U.S. Coast and Geodetic Survey in 1880. A salmon cannery operated at this site from the 1930s to the early 50s. A post office operated from 1952 to 1954. Several families moved from Perryville to Ivanof Bay in 1965 in search of better water sources and hunting grounds, and to pursue a peaceful lifestyle with religious freedom. There are two predominant families, the Kalmakoffs and the Calugans.

 

 



 


ęCopyright 2014 Alaska Trails to the Past All Rights Reserved
For more information contact the Webmistress