is located on the northwest side of Iliamna Lake, 225 miles southwest of
Anchorage. It is near the Lake Clark Park and Preserve. It lies at
approximately 59░ 45' N Latitude, 154░ 55' W Longitude (Sec. 12, T005S,
R033W, Seward Meridian). The community is located in the Iliamna
Recording District. The area encompasses 22 sq. miles of land and 2 sq.
miles of water.
Prior to 1935, "Old Iliamna" was
located near the mouth of the Iliamna River, a traditional Athabascan
village. A post office was established there in 1901. Around 1935,
villagers moved to the present location, approximately 40 miles from the
old site. The post office followed. Iliamna's current size and character
can be attributed to the development of fishing and hunting lodges. The
first lodge opened in the 1930s. A second lodge was built in the 1950s.
During the 70s and 80s, lots were made available by the Baptist Church,
and additional lodges were constructed.