is located on the south shore of the Kvichak River, which flows from
Iliamna Lake, on the Alaska Peninsula. It is 50 air miles northwest of
King Salmon, southwest of Anchorage. It lies at approximately 59░ 20' N
Latitude, 155░ 55' W Longitude (Sec. 08, T010S, R039W, Seward Meridian).
The community is located in the Iliamna Recording District. The area
encompasses 27 sq. miles of land and 21 sq. miles of water.
Kiatagmuit Eskimos originally lived on
the north bank of the Kvichak River in the village of Kaskanak, and used
Igiugig as a summer fish camp. At the turn of the century, these people
moved upriver to the present site of Igiugig. Many locals can trace
their roots back to the Branch River village. People from that village
also moved to Igiugig as it began to develop. A post office was
established in 1934, but was discontinued in 1954. Commercial and
subsistence fishing sustain the community.