Search billions of records on Ancestry.com


Return to Home 
Research Center Directory 
 



 

 

 

Hydaburg

 

Hydaburg is located on the southwest coast of Prince of Wales Island, 45 air miles northwest of Ketchikan. It lies 7 road miles west of Hollis, site of the State Ferry landing. It lies at approximately 55░ 12' N Latitude, 132░ 49' W Longitude (Sec. 12, T077S, R083E, Copper River Meridian). The community is located in the Ketchikan Recording District. The area encompasses 1 sq. miles of land and 0 sq. miles of water.

During the mid to late 1700s, the Haida Indians migrated to Prince of Wales, a predominantly Tlingit area, from Graham Island in the Queen Charlotte Islands, Canada. In 1911, three Haida villages combined at the present site (Sukkwan, Howkan and Klinkwan) for their children to attend school; it was designated as the Hydaburg Indian Reservation in 1912. The new village established a trading company, store and sawmill. However, the villagers were never comfortable with the arrangement, and at their request in 1926, the land was restored to its former status as part of the Tongass National Forest. 189 acres of the land were reserved for the school and townsite disposals. The first fish processing plant opened in 1927, and three other canneries operated through the 1930s. When the Indian Reorganization Act (IRA) was amended in 1936 to include Alaska Natives, Hydaburg became the first village in Alaska to form an IRA Council.

 

 



 


ęCopyright 2014 Alaska Trails to the Past All Rights Reserved
For more information contact the Webmistress